iOS Game Revenue Survey

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by OTrain13, Sep 19, 2011.

1. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    Sterling work Owen! Some great insights and figures in that report. Using the median really does make the figures lower than what we might imagine. I hope every iOS website out there and every iOS blogger covers your findings.

My impression is that despite the fairly small sample this is pretty representative of the App Store as a whole. Hopefully one day we'll get something similar from Apple directly so we'll know for sure.

I think if you were to run another survey (with the extra publicity from this one) then you'd get thousands of replies next time.

2. NinjaPlanetStudios

Aug 23, 2011
    Good stuff, thanks! :)

3. Therealtrebitsch

Therealtrebitsch Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Maybe you could write a press release on prmac, so more bloggers can see your survey results and spread the word about it.

4. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    #24 Manta Research, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    Excellent summary, thanks! I'll admit I was one of the dummies who confused revenues for all apps in the last 12 months and not just apps released in the last 12 months. Perhaps the wording could have been clearer if there were lots of others who misunderstood the question as well.

I'm looking forward to another survey with more targeted questions and more respondents. Now that you can point to the value of the results from this survey, I think it will be easier to convince devs to spend a bit more time filling out a more detailed survey.

5. OTrain13

OTrain13 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2009
    Co-founder, Milkbag Games
    Canada
    Thanks, everyone! I'm glad you're finding it useful.

I agree 100%. It was completely my fault that the questions were misinterpreted, and I'm really annoyed with myself for that. I don't blame the respondents at all. Like I said, I'm not a statistician...maybe I should have enlisted one to help me word the survey. ;)

That could cool. If it's me who does it, it'll have to wait a while, as this one has taken up way more of my time than I anticipated. I'd really like to keep working on my game now. ;)

Owen

6. IntrinsicGames

IntrinsicGames Well-Known Member

Just to echo what everyone else has been saying, thanks for putting this together (and thanks to all the developers who who took the survey as well!)

7. DomAjean

DomAjean Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Thank you for this great survey!

8. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Sweet job dude!

9. MrLeQuack

MrLeQuack Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot for the results, it's all very interesting and congrats, i see tuaw.com has posted an article about it!

10. Barcâ

Barcâ Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    I was a statistics major (since changed) and the first thing you would be judged on is that the sample was taken from a community who chose to take it. That in itself creates instant bias and possibly skewed results.

As thats neither here nor there (and you included a disclaimer, :D) I must say that the data is interesting enough. I hear equal stories about developers who make tons of money and those who make none. I was just glad to see something like this done.

Thank you Owen!

11. Justin@PhykenMedia

Justin@PhykenMedia Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2011
    Project Manager
    Just wanted to say "Thanks!" for putting this survey together and crunching the data!

There is definitely some interesting data there and hopefully in the future we can continue to have more surveys that allow us to look further into app store.