iPad 5 or iPad mini (2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klink, Sep 1, 2013.

1. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I've actually been a little torn on this one, but it'll likely come down to space issues. Assuming the 5 has a 128 gig model again, that will be the deciding factor. If the Mini 2 had that option, I'd go Mini 2 in a heartbeat. Sigh. :p

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Yeah... space is a big factor for me too, and i'd want the mini as well, but it better have the specs of ipad4 at least, as even apple knows how inferior ipad3 was.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Well you say that, but I've been rockin' it a year with no noticeable performance problems or limitations of any kind, so...

4. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    The constant bitching over the iPad 3's performance is almost unwarranted.

5. best

best Well-Known Member

I do fine on my iPad 3? What's so bad? Unless you're loading a very large animated website.

6. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    I have an iPad 3 (no problem whatsoever, other than its time for an upgrade) and can't wait to get my hands on an iPad 5! Bigger is better! :D

Seriously though, iPad Mini is cool and all, but I like my screen bigger. :)

7. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Theres simply no substitute for the Ipad Mini, its the best size for absolutely everything, especially gaming. Light, big screen, easy thumb and finger access, I couldnt imagine ever using anything else or anything bigger. Absolutely get the new mini, I cant recommend it enough.

8. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #28 Bytebrain, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    I've got an iPad 3 and is definitely going to upgrade to iPad 5.
    I like the Mini, and will probably buy it eventually, but it'll be mostly for reading ebooks on...

I've never understood the complaints about the iPad being too heavy or cumbersome to play games on in any way when there's so many great cases with in-built stand.

I never hold my iPad when using it.
    It's either resting on a table when I'm sitting upright or resting on my thigh when I'm lying on my couch, only supporting the ipad by a finger when nessecary using the Targus 360 stand.

I've been using similar stands since I bought the original iPad.

[​IMG]

9. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    As far as gaming goes the mini is head and shoulders above the ipad. If the new iteration of the mini is comparable to the ipad 4 (spec wise) then I'd say its a no brainer, mini for the win.

10. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    In its current state? Not at all. With improved specs? Not really. The smaller screen just isn't as immersive and never will be.

11. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I haven't noticed any difference in immersion. The screen is the perfect size for the distance I tend to hold it from may face.

12. #32 Connector, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
    EP, I will have to agree with the others, though the ipad 3 has had a tarnished reputation for being underpowered, I really to this day, have only felt an urge recently to upgrade cause of Asphalt 8. Until just recently, it barely has crossed my mind, since I can't load many 2 gb console like games anyway.

It really only affects the near 2 gb console like games, and really how many can most people keep on their systems at one time cause of disk space issues? (Maybe 3)

I still love my ipad 3, and will always remember the days, when we were some of the first to have ipad retina screens, and the great times playing so many games on my ipad 3, that it handled fine without any problems.

And ipad retina on the web has been amazing, it really is almost better than most laptops to surf on the web with such a clear and amazing screen.

But it is time to consider upgrading to an ipad 5, but only cause many of here are hardcore ios users who want the best performance possible. For the majority of users that just want to websurf, play angry birds, or watch youtube, or play 95% of the games on the market with not much of a difference, an ipad 3 is sufficient.

Always will remember the good times with my ipad 3, and honestly, having ipad retina way before many others, it was worth getting, and I still would have bought it in hindsight, though playing A8 on both the ipad 4 and ipad 3, does make me yearn a little for the ipad 5 a little now. If the ipad 5 has a significantly better cpu/gpu than the ipad 4, then I am definitely getting one. But it is just a size and weight thing, then maybe I will wait for an ipad 6 cause for the most part, even an inferior ipad 3 is still somewhat sexy. :)

13. lepke

lepke Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Japan
    Yep and if you think the iPad is too heavy... Then you need to start working out. Also as I recommend using icloud if you have such space issues etc. to OP, I do think you jumped the gun, it will be awhile until either option is available and I am sure whatever problem you had you could have solved it without selling it.

14. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    If some people are to be believed, the full-size iPad is the same size and weight as the average laptop. The iPad mini is comparatively lighter, yes, but that doesn't make the bigger iPad "heavy" by any means. :p

For those considering between devices in the current generation, do note that while there are numerous ways to work around any potential weight issue with the bigger iPad, there's no way to work around the lower resolution, smaller screen or weaker processor of the iPad mini.

Another thing to bear in mind if you're looking at the next-generation devices is that the intent for the 5th-gen iPad is to be lighter and slightly smaller form-wise, while a Retina-based mini will be noticeably heavier than the existing first-gen one, so the gap between the two devices will be even smaller in that regard.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    And out comes my favourite example for why the Mini still isn't perfect for gaming: Brogue. One of my favourite iOS games by a long shot, and still tricky even on a full sized iPad. Shrinking the screen by any amount is a bad idea when it comes to that game.

Also, drawing apps, for the artistically inclined.

16. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    This.

Seriously.

17. tabs

tabs Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Philippines
    I rarely use my iPad why holding it with my palm or such. I only use it either placed on a table, or against my pillow on the bed before I sleep or when I am sitting down, I will cross my legs and place it there. I also don't walk around the mall carrying the iPad with my hand. Either Its in a Bag, or I leave it at the house.

In anyway, the weight is really not an issue. Obviously the Mini is way lighter and smaller, which would appeal to some, but as I've said, I like the screens bigger. To each his own I guess.

18. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Exactly the same for me. For me it's not comfortable to hold for any period of time. Maybe the iPad 10 will be light enough truly hold like a piece for paper. :)

Also, using my wife's iPad 2 I realize how big of a difference a retina screen makes. Everything on looks so dull and pixelated on the non-retina screen. It's truly amazing what developers have been able to do with the retina screen!

19. A major factor which made the retina ipads heavy was use of a dual bar lighting scheme which was required to power the big ipad retina screens, which basically requires a much larger battery.

Because of the much bigger battery needed to power the dual bar system, the ipad retinas had to be heavier.

Supposedly, the ipad 5 will be a new tech IGZO screen, requiring only one light bar. So the battery in theory would be much smaller causing less weight, plus the fact the form factor is supposed to be reduced causing more weight loss.

What is remaining to be seen is what tech the new ipad mini retinas will use. Apple was trying initially to make the ipad 4 use the above new tech using one lightbar with less weight, but they couldn't. Now it is still unsure whether Apple can even produce a retina ipad mini this cycle. Let alone an IGZO one light bar version.

Not saying this will happen, but it would be funny if an ipad 5 came out with a reduced form factor, the new IGZO screen with only one light bar and a smaller battery. So a drastic reduced weight difference over the ipad 4.

It would be ironic if IGZO with one light bar could not be implemented for the ipad mini 2, so they went back to the ipad 3/4 tech of using two lightbars with the old screen tech, so the battery would end up being heavy. And the ipad 2 retina would end up being much heavier and thicker than the current ipad mini 1.

And then, boom, the ipad 5 could be the same weight as an ipad mini 2, since they would be using two different screen technologies (and batteries to match).

Not saying this will happen, but it will be funny if it happens, and everyone is saying, what the heck, why is the ipad mini 2 retina, the same weight as an ipad 5??? :eek:

20. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Not sure about using IGZO or not. What's probably for sure is using the "film-based" capacitive touch layer instead of the current glass based one. This is the same technology the iPad mini uses to reduce weight and thickness. That's why a Retina based iPad Mini is a real wildcard because it would require using a new technology like IGZO.