iPad 5 or iPad mini (2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by klink, Sep 1, 2013.

1. k1lljoy_89

k1lljoy_89 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Best topic on TA

2. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    The difference in screen size between an iPod and an iPad is huge compared to the difference between an iPad and an iPad mini. As I said earlier, when I switched to the mini, I hardly noticed the difference in screen size when holding the device. I only notice it when I have the iPad on a stand and I'm viewing something on it. Personally I would never play a game like that. I only ever watch movies and such with the iPad on a stand.

3. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    That makes at least two of us. I've had no problems with the iPad 3rd generation as well. It's 64 gig and not jail broken. i purchased it when it was released...

If both devices both come out before February, I'm going with the iPad 5th generation. Otherwise, time to reevaluate.

4. You are lucky to have been able to hold one in both hands. Especially capturing videos of it. :p

5. lepke

lepke Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2013
    Japan
    iPad mini to iPad is what Hawkman is to the avengers.

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    What can I say? I'm a regular pee eye em pee.

7. best

best Well-Known Member

I find the full size iPad weight fine for carrying around. I often just put my arm around it and walk. Not heavy.

8. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    It's not a matter of carrying around. It's a matter of holding it in your extended arms for long gaming sessions where the approximately 50% lower weight of the mini makes for significantly greater comfort.

9. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
  10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Then don't extend your arms, genius.

11. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    I just saw the YouTube video that's floating around which shows an assembled iPad 5 enclosure.

Attached Files:

12. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    I know, right!

I have padded my iPad with a fairly bulky case (I tend to be a little rough). I play a whole bunch of games. And I paint a lot on it. ANd no, painting doesn't involve putting it on a desk and painting. I hold my iPad with one hand and flip it all around while I do that. But I don't leave my arms suspended in the air. when I do those things. It's easy to play games with the iPad propped against a cushion or your lap or something. The only scenario where you need your arms suspended is gaming while you're on the move. And I don't suppose anyone has "long" gaming sessions of this type?

13. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Different strokes for different folks I guess. I can't be bothered to look for a pillow to prop my tablet in every time I use it so I hold it in front of myself. The simple fact that you have to go to all that trouble an limit the positions in which you can use your iPad sounds like a selling point for the mini to me...

14. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Holding the mini just feels closer to a controller in size. An Ipad has ur hands spaced out too far. i play non universal games all the time on the mini on 2xand they look fine, took me a while to even figure out what people meant by "Aw man, not universal?".

Macho men are saying "If u find ipad too heavy u need to work out more." But its just not fcomfortable to hold it for extended sessions, also if it falls on ur face it will hurt haha! Screen size is perfect, it can fit easily in a backpack or even big pockets, theres just zero downside to a Mini.

15. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    #75 MidianGTX, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
    Boardgames. Brogue. Painting apps. Web browsing. They're not "bad", but in comparison to the same activities on a bigger screen, it's a step down.

P.S. Every time I see the thread title I think it's the sequel to "iPad 5 or iPad mini".

16. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    Agreed. With my iPad 4 (former) I felt like I was always holding it in an awkward position. Either propping it up with something or laying it down onto something. It never felt very ergonomic. Saying that I loved using it.

17. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    ... who the hell said anything about a pillow. I've never propped it on anything in my life.

So don't drop it on your face...

18. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    The post right above mine (assuming a cushion is the same as a pillow) and tabs a couple of pages back. Probably best to read other post for context before responding next time ;)

19. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Dropped mine on my leg yesterday. Succeded in breaking the fall enough to make sure theres no damage to the ipad itself. Still hurts :/

On topic, for games, mini 2 should be a better companion than ipad 5 as long as it gets retina screen and decent enough specs. iPad 5 would be a better choice for pretty much everything else though.

20. k1lljoy_89

Nov 25, 2011
    Look out your window.
    Too much work.