iPad Air - (by Apple)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Sanuku, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Sounds like there are starting to be reports of graphics issues in the new ipad air graphics problem thread here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=208358

But, most of these issues will probably be resolved through game updates or an ios 7 update, plus many games are going just ios 7 compatible.

2. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    How did you manage to pay that much? 32gb iPad Airs retail for £479.

3. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Well, the only way I can get that much money in one lump is if I robbed a bank, so I'm getting the ipad out of a catalogue and paying over 52 weeks, so yeah you pay more but at least I get one. :)

4. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Thanks for that. However, I can say that wasn't at all an issue (or even something I noticed) when I used the Air, and of all the myriad complaints people have made about the device, I haven't seen even a single other person ever mention this particular thing as a concern. For most people, I honestly don't think it's going to constitute a problem.

As I noted earlier in the thread, it seems that not all games are compatible with the Air; right now there are definitely a handful that aren't playing nice, but they're in the minority. The same thing happened with new "unrecognised" devices the past couple of years as well, and like then players will just have to wait for the developers to address the issue. Given the high-profile nature of the device and some of the games involved, though, that probably shouldn't take too long.

There'll likely be teething pains for a couple of weeks while developers sort out issues in their games (and get their hands on Airs if necessary for testing), but I'd think most of the problems would be sorted before the end of the month. Given the matching hardware of the Retina iPad mini, that device shouldn't really cause any significant trouble later down the track.

This isn't an endemic hardware problem or iOS 7 issue affecting all games, but rather an app-specific issue. TR2 is one game that has been noted to have graphical issues, along with Real Racing 3, Football Manager 2013, and Dead Trigger 2. Some people have been able to address the graphical issues in RR3 and other games on the Air by restarting their device or reinstalling the game entirely, but the rest are likely to need the app developer to release an update.

5. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Ah. Nasty!

6. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    I've spent several hours browsing google and reading up on the ipad air problems. Seems some games simply default to the lowest graphics setting as it doesnt recognise the ipad air as a device. Seems an app update can fix this and most recent games will update quickly I bet, unfortunately I have a lot of old games I still play a lot and these have not been updated in many months or over a year.

I'm now considering cancelling the ipad air and seeing how things develop.

I really don't want to lose my fave games, I can't part with them ;)

7. klink

klink 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 22, 2013
    No thank you
    USA
    #207 klink, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
    I purchased an iPad Air on Friday and it sat unopened until today. I sold my iPad 4 a while back because it had only 16 GB of storage and I quickly filled it up. I've been conflicted between the iPad Air, Mini Retina, or even leaving the Apple ecosphere. I've also probably spent way too much time reading forums about ram issues, screen discoloration, pricing complaints, etc...

So I finally decided to crack open the box and give the iPad Air a chance. So far I can say I'm completely happy with my purchase. Everything about it is perfect. It feels like a major upgrade over my former iPad 4. Ergonomically it feels much more comfortable to use and hold because it's lighter and smaller. The performance feels snapper across the board. The screen actually looks a bit sharper.

After I sold my iPad 4 I looked at every tablet in the market. I was totally open to switching to an Android or even Windows 8 device. Now I can definitely say the iPad Air is the best tablet on the market, bar none.

8. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Three things to consider before hitting the cancel button:

1) Judging by the feedback, the issues with graphics are actually affecting a very small number of games, some of which have already seen updates, and others which have seen the problem sorted simply by reinstalling the game.

2) When this happened last time, it only took a couple of weeks for the last of the affected games to be fixed.

3) If you have any particular games in mind, ask somebody here who already owns an Air if they'd mind testing them and letting you (and the rest of us) know if there's any problem with them.

If you're still feeling paranoid and worried you might have made the wrong decision, though, you probably should just hang on to your existing iPad until you know for sure that the games you want aren't affected. That shouldn't take too long, so you can make an informed decision at that point. ;)

9. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well since most developer to not get hands on hardware before release such errors will always happen.

what i rather find odd is that apple did not at least test the top selling games against their new device & ios combo.

now you have lots of customers with an odd first impression on brand new hardware.

at least for the high profile games this would have been wise.

anyway, after reading thr anantech review i have somewhat mixed feeling about the actual performance of the a7 in an highres ipad enviroment.

having performance loss over the ipad4 in some areas is odd at best.
    the technical reason have been described in lenght but still very odd
    that the same a7 with slightly different clock speeds is used on such wildy different resolutions.. 0,73 megapixel vs 3,1

well till the release of the mini there is still time for real world performance tests & issues to pop up or not..

i hope this does not turn out to be another ipad3 performance fiasco (for gamers)

10. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I advise neeeeeeeeever getting too caught up reading threads at MR or places like it before making a decision. Going by the current threads you're likely to come away thinking the Air is half the speed of an iPad 3, as heavy as the 4th-gen iPad, spontaneously reboots every half hour and has a screen made of pink-and-blue-splotched cellophane.

The exact same types of complaints arose last year with the 4th-gen iPad, but when I opened mine and it was absolutely perfect, I wasn't really surprised. People overreact like nobody's business, and new releases really do bring out the most neurotic and OCD; I saw some of the devices people have claimed to have problems with back then, and they were absolutely fine.

11. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    You shouldn't: Anand himself notes that the Air beats the 4th-gen iPad across the board in real-world situations (the CPU is far more powerful, and the GPU performance is 40-70% higher than that of the 4th-gen depending on the task), and this has already been kindly demonstrated by people who own the new device.

To clarify that a bit, there's not any actual "performance loss" here in the sense of the device ever performing worse or running slower than the 4th-gen iPad in real-world use, and Anand's review doesn't say that either. It sounds like you're specifically referring to the "triangle throughput" test, which is the only test in which the 4th-gen beats the Air by any significant margin, but which Anand also mentions he hasn't seen have any impact in normal use. In every other test in Anand's evaluation the Air either notably outstrips the 4th-gen in performance, or at worst is roughly equivalent (the 3DMark Physics tests, for example).

To set your mind at ease, pretty much every app (game or otherwise) people have given feedback on so far has shown some degree of performance increase on the new device (even if minor); barring the incompatibility teething bugs we're currently witnessing, I have yet to see any reported case of the Air actually performing below the 4th-gen iPad in real-world use.

It's definitely not another 3rd-gen iPad situation. :D

12. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Personally I don't think the iPad "air" should have that moniker. The iPad is "lighter" but not "light" compared with iPad 4. I mean, when I had the 4s, then jumped to the iPhone 5... That was a huge drop in weight! That you could actually feel the major difference. I couldn't believe it. That is what you call a dramatic weight difference. But iPad air is not a huge difference... Apple violating and lying & tricking customers, advertising the iPad 5 with the "Air" name is not a good move, they should change the name.

13. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Everything you said made sense until the part about Apple "violating and lying & tricking customers"... huh?

14. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Yea, I went overboard there :)

15. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Yeah, it really is. While there are a number of familiar complaints that have been raised about the device (legitimate and otherwise), arguments that the iPad Air is too heavy and that Apple are violating their customers (?) do not feature commonly among them, and for good reason.

I have to assume this is some kind of weird satire or parody. The iPhone 4S was 140g and dropped to 112g with the 5, a reduction of 28g or 20%, and close to the same weight by which the iPad mini has increased (the Retina iPad mini is 331g, up from the original mini's 310g).

On the other hand, the full-sized iPad dropped from the 4th-gen's 652g to 469g with the Air, a reduction in weight of 183g (around 28%), and the equivalent of more than an entire iPhone 5 and a half. It's a vastly bigger drop in weight than the iPhone underwent in every respect, both absolute and relative, and it is hugely noticeable.

16. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Have you held iPhone 4S then move to iPhone 5? You'll notice. I was fortunate to hold iPad 4 & air yesterday... And I can tell the significance.

17. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Yes, and the difference between those two devices is far less noticeable than the difference between a 4th-gen iPad and an Air.

18. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Really... You must have a fake device

19. Mene

Mar 18, 2012
    Just wondering, has anyone tried any of the following games on an ipad air?

Phantom Leader
    Silversword
    Legends of Yore
    Questlord
    9th Dawn
    Fargoal
    GP Story/Game Dev Story
    Ticket to Ride
    Codea
    Dungeon Plunder

Sorry if that's off topic

20. HansSatori

HansSatori Active Member

Jul 6, 2013
    Will be getting one in a few days. Looking forward to it.