iPad ArtStudio Drawings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MicroByte, May 5, 2010.

1. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    How long, on average, does it take for you to draw one of these from scratch?

2. Slyv

Slyv Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
    ArtStudio for iPhone always costed $3.99.
    ArtStudio for iPad always costed $0.99.

I never changed the prices for ArtStudio

Sylwester Los, Lucky Clan

3. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    So you're selling the better version for cheaper? Strange business strategy, but fine by me - I just hope it's still the same price when I get my iPad next year. :p

4. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

The Bowser drawing took me over a week to do, lots of shading and detailing needed.

The CQB took abbey a week to do. It's amazing how m ouch detail is packed into such a little figure! Surprisingly, the damn boots were the hardest part to shade and detail out!

The other 2 paintings took about 2 days each.

Trying to decide what to start next...

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Grizzly bear! Two bears fighting!

6. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    I would consider checking out Art Studio if I saw a hands-on (or finger-on) video of similar work being done. That's impressive how well the Mario one turned out after starting with such a simple sketch.

7. techie_chic

techie_chic Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Great artwork! I'm amazed at how you play with the colors, just like a true artist would. You should do more of your thing and update us with your work, we would love to look at it. Keep it up! :)

8. MicroByte

#28 MicroByte, May 12, 2010
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
    Just wanted to share this:

http://obamapacman.com/2010/05/awesome-super-mario-bowser-castle-apple-ipad-painting-art-by-john-haasl/

It's funny, I posted some of my stuff on another forum to show off iPad art and someone contacted me wanting to write an article on my stuff. I didn't take them too seriously, but they actually wrote something! :D

*EDIT*

Oh and Sylwester, I should be earning some sort of commission for praising your app as much as I do! I be sure to mention it whenever anyone asks what App I used since I haven't had the need to try out anything else on the App store yet! :)

9. Slyv

Slyv Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2009
  10. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    2 full days or just casual?

11. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    That definitely sounds like an ad. Are you completely unaffiliated with Artstudio? If not, then i may have to try it out in spite of the low star ratingS it's been getting in the app store.

12. MicroByte

@ Random Guy - They were done 2 days on and off, mostly at night after the kids were in bed and I needed some down time.

@ Grubjelly - This is the Internet so you'll have to take my word for it - I am not affiliated with ArtStudio, just a user.

After picking up my iPad, I was really wanting to try out an art app to see if I'd like it or if would even be worth it on the iPad. I kept leaning towards Brushes or Sketchbook since there was so much talk about them. I even started a thread here to see what other's thought:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=901326

I ended up getting ArtStudio since it was only a dollar (I've spent much more on games that I hardly ever get into!) and I really got into it.

I've still been tempted to try out the other's, but have gotten used to what's available. There are some tools I wish it had, but I'm able to do what I need to with it. At this point, I know where things are and how to adjust brush settings so if I jumped to another app, I'd have to start all over again.

I don't know what more to say, I like the App and praise it for what it is.

13. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    Sorry, i watched the YouTube video, read the blurb on the sketchy "obamapacman" blog, and am still not convinced. There's no way to tell in the video that fingers and the art program you are endorsing are what were used.

A real-time, hands-on video of art studio being used to create that or similar works would be convincing.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You've got trust issues. If you don't believe him, make your own mind up. It's a dollar, I'm sure you won't die in the gutter just because you didn't make it big in the art world. The way you're talking makes this sound like a massive conspiracy when there's really no reason for it to be.

15. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    Why "massive conspiracy"? Isn't that a bit of an exaggeration? All I said was that the video wasn't convincing, and that the linked 3rd-party blog (not the artist's) seemed sketchy. If this were accompanied by a real-time video of someone making those or similar works without a stylus, then this 99 cent app would seem more compelling.

16. MicroByte

#36 MicroByte, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
    @Grubjelly - I wholeheartedly understand you being unconvinced about this, but I really have nothing to prove. I linked to the obamapacman blog because I was genuinely excited to see my stuff published on someone's site, I thought it was cool and was excited. If something you created was put up by someone else, you would be excited too. Since then, I've been shocked to see articles about my stuff on Appadvice and on, one of my favorite sites, TUAW.

I don't have a personal blog. The closest I came to this was a site on wordpress called DSIblogger. I have a flickr page with my stuff and that's it. I started this as a hobby and really have nothing to prove. I started this thread here to honestly show off my stuff because I am proud that I did something that I thought looked decent.

I really don't feel the need to post a video of me drawing for hours to prove that I did something or not. I don't make money from this and don't intend to. It's a hobby I just got into, nothing more, and is something that I'm enjoying. I can't help but to give credit to the person who built the tools that I use, it's well deserved.

17. Grubjelly

Jun 19, 2009
    #37 Grubjelly, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010

Hours wouldn't be necessary. Just a few minutes of the the real thing (using only fingers, as you said) would be convincing; one knows it when one sees it.

As for the appadvice article - they just skimmed the net and latched onto the same obamapacman blurb linked above.

By you repeatedly emphasizing your lack of formal training and exclusive use of this one app, skepticism was fairly invited. The "i really should be paid for endorsing this product so much" statement that you made earlier didn't help the case any.

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's just that there's absolutely no reason to believe he'd be lying yet for some reason you're suspicious. It'd be like me starting a thread saying "my wife's just had our first child" and you replying with "pics or it didn't happen".

19. MicroByte

Cool, I understand your point. Let me see what I can whip up tonight for kicks. No promises, and I'm picking something off my desk that would be simple enough to do in 5 - 10 minutes. I give up after this if you don't believe me though! ;)

I feel like Marty Mcfly right now for some reason...

20. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Self-tying sneakers?