iPad - Should the Apps Be More Expensive?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Twiddle, Mar 14, 2010.

?

Do you think the iPad apps should be more expensive than the iPhone apps?

1. No, the iPad apps should be at the $0.99-2.99 standard they're at in the iPhone App Store.

40.0%
  2. Yes, they should cost a little bit more, maybe around $3.99-4.99. A little over the $0.99 barrier.

38.3%
  3. Yes, the iPad apps should cost a lot more as long as they're good apps, maybe around $8.99-10.99.

21.7%
  1. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I don't iPad apps should or shouldn't cost more money. I predict the iPad apps will start off costing a bit more money than comparable iPhone apps but will lower in price after developers start undercutting prices to stand out from the increased competition. The thing about these idevices is that it's so fast and easy to buy apps it eventually becomes an endless money pit. It doesn't matter how much an app is worth anymore since the app store is oversaturated and People will more likely react to the high quality apps priced at lower prices.

2. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    I would definitely like to see higher quality iPad apps for higher prices. I think $20-25 would be a reasonable price for a game like Splinter Cell or some other console-quality game. I hope developers don't fall into the same pattern as what has happened in the current app store--creating thousands and thousands of 99-cent junk iPad apps.

Because of the iPad's higher price point, I am hoping developers will create more sophisticated games to target people who won't be crying that they only have $1.67 left in their iTunes account. :rolleyes:

For those who don't want to buy/can't afford an iPad, I'm sure there will always be plenty of cheap games for the Touch. I just don't want to see a bunch of fart apps and Minigores headed to the iPad...

3. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    I surely hope we'll have premium pricing for premium games to encourage more console-quality games. Quality deserves good bucks. On the other hand, I'm hoping we would still see $0.99 and free stuff. I don't wanna pay premium pricing for a Paper Toss game, would you?

4. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Dude, it's an iPod touch with a massive screen. Why would the pricing be any different?

5. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Because the device holds more potential for quality apps.

6. Mr. Obvious

Mr. Obvious Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    IT
    Such a silly question. No one "wants" to pay more for anything. We can talk about pricing all we want, it won't change the fact that what something costs is only equal to what someone will pay for it. That may not be true in an "initial" offering, but it is true in the long run. That goes for anything.

Now back to the silly question, do I believe IPAD games "should" cost more?
    The answer is not so simple.
    The potential is certainly there for better games and programs to be made that will allow for a developer to "ask" for more money. And "if" a number of these programs are good enough in the minds of the buyer to be "worth" the cost, it could certainly swing the "average" price of an IPAD game upward.

I would imagine the reality will be that developers will make the most of the opportunity to make really great games and programs seeing the added real estate the IPAD offers and will in turn make a nice profit for their efforts.

7. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    It's still not in the same class

8. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    #28 Mondae, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    My opinion is to fetch more money the games have to be good.

@ deewin: minigore is a great game overflowing in quirk and charm and crossovers and replayibility.

9. xx72connor72xx

Dec 23, 2009
    school
    nowhere
    i dont think they should cost more because you are already paying twice the price of an iphone or itouch. i would not want to have to pay extra for the device and then extra for the apps.

10. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    It's not a silly question at all. Think about it, if people spend at least $499 for an iPad, wouldn't the same people be willing to spend more for apps on that same device?

If you just saw the results for this poll, you would see that MORE THAN HALF the people reading this forum believe the pricing should be more. Therefore, more than half the people in this forum "want" the price to be more.

It's not quite about what people "want" it's more about if they are "willing", anyways.

11. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia

Your logic is flawed.

I am considering buying an iPad, but if I do, it will stretch my budget to the limit! Therefore I would want to spend less on apps because the device is so expensive.

Using your logic, if someone bought a really nice, expensive car, they would want to spend more on petrol and servicing and insurance because they apparently have sh!tloads of cash. What if they spent almost all of their money on that car?

People want things for less, it's human nature. Oh and with regards to the poll: there's a differencE between should, and want. eg. I should go and help that old lady to cross the street, but I don't want to.

12. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    What does the ipad have to offer besides a bigger screen? It has the same arm cores as the ipod/iphone does, doesnt it? And it has a touchscreen and tilting, but what else? Don't all iphone games work just like on the ipad albeit with higher resolutions?

13. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    As long as the iPad app is done well and plays to the strengths of the device then a developer can charge what they want.
    However, if the app turns out to be nothing more than a beta - or alpha - release of their code to get it out quick to the community in order to drive up mindshare before thoroughly testing it for bugs then no, they shouldn't be charging a premium for it.

14. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Mmm... I guess we will agree to disagree. But hey, that's what this poll's for, to see everyones opinion. :)

15. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    True that. But one of the bottlenecks of the App Gaming business is the devs having to consider their games to also work with the older slower processors (iPhone first gen) to generate more revenue. That puts a limit to producing quality games, the evolution of the platform and competing in the mobile gaming arena. Now for "iPad only" games, we are seeing good potential here since the first generation iPad already has decent specs.

16. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Agreed.

17. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    The iPad games should be the same price. The graphics are probably going to be a little bit better than the iPhone/iPod Touch's, but the controls will probably be the same, if not worse.

18. Spocket

Spocket Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Bottom line is that indie developers will need a way to break into the market, so even if all the apps start out more than $.99, they will come down to $.99 very quickly. There is way too much competition for devs not to undercut each other. The reason this doesn't happen on other platforms is because there are far less, if any indie developers.

19. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

If the iPad is to become more than a huge iPod touch it is probably a necessity that the "race to bottom" is not copied from the iPhone world. There are already huge indications that its become more or less impossible for developers to make much money from selling $0.99 iPhone apps (not counting the huge hits like "Doodle Jump").

I see no reason why iPad apps shouldn't be able to have truly "console quality" games and the huge multi-touch screen goes some way towards Home Computing v. 2.0. However, if the majority of people will not be willing to pay more than a buck for a title we will probably end up with a lot of iPhone apps with higher resolution graphics.

Making bigger, more complex titles is more expensive and it is very unlikely anyone will be able to maintain a profitable business model with high-end games and bedroom-style pricing.. :(

20. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    And how is your logic not flawed?? If I were to stretch my budget by buying a Lamborghini, I would anticipate that I would spend more for car insurance than I currently spend insuring my Corolla. I wouldn't think I deserve to pay less, simply because I spent so much on the Lamborghini!

An iPad is an expensive toy; if you can't afford it, don't buy it. Those of us who can afford it don't really want to see a bunch of 99-cent fart apps. Some of us are hoping it is the next step in mobile gaming, and are willing to pay a fair price for quality games.

Why would you think the controls might be worse?

I totally agree. It would be a big disappointment if the "race to the bottom" carries over into the iPad apps. I hope developers have learned from what has happened and have the sense not to repeat the same pattern.