iPhone 3.0 >= PSPGo?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by alexhardy, Jun 10, 2009.

1. PeterM11

PeterM11 Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    East Coast, USA
    I'm sorry to say this but you guys are absolutely wrong.

This is just an opinion yes, but i don't care cause so is what you guys are saying. it's just your opinion..

My opinion....

The iPhone is better indeed. It has plenty of room to evolve also.
    I have had a PSP and a DS. I got bored with both of them within two months.
    The iPhone has some amazing games and I can only see them getting much much better.
    The app store on the other hand is awesome. A game isn't too great? The developer can fix that with a simple update. Sure the PSP and DS have digital downloads now but that must have been influenced some by the App Store and you know it.
    As for people saying true gaming can't work on the iPhone battery.... well the PSP and DS batteries are not too great either.
    Just saying, It is definitely a contender and in my honest opinion is victorious.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    You're saying the iPhone is better because it has potential. ... ok. Don't even go into battery life. I'm sick of having the "20% battery life left" window pop-up in the middle of a game. At least the other two devices can withstand a session.

3. dogmeat

dogmeat Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Information Security Engineer
    San Francisco, CA

heres a suggestion:

You know that long white cable looking thing with a square thing on the end that came with your phone? Well, if you find a outlet somewhere on a wall, you may be able to plug one end of it into the wall. Then you plug the other part ( This is the most difficult part ) into your iphone/itouch. Wait for about 30 mins for your cookies to bake and you should have many hours of fun times with your device afterwards.

4. deputy

deputy Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    New York
    That's the tradeoff when using a single device for gaming and as a phone. Remember that receiving signal (whether it be 2G or 3G) uses power so you can't really compare battery usage between a phone and a dedicated gaming device. When you're playing a game on the iPhone, it's doing a few things at once. With a PSP, it's just running the game.

Airplane Mode is your friend if you're willing to sacrifice missing a few calls. If you can't handle that then it sounds like you need a separate device for mobile gaming.

5. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    If I were always next to an outlet, I wouldn't need a portable device, now would I?

I'm not even using an iPhone, I'm using a touch.

6. ricky

ricky Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2008
    Let's just agree that the iPhone dominates at racing games. No matter what game you wanna compare on the PSP or DS, the controls just don't function like tilt mechanics. I would take Crash Kart over Mario Kart DS any day - let alone NFSU or Real Racing. Also, I must say, I am much happier with my iPhone than my PSP. I use my phone every day and keep in it one pocket. Whereas, when I want to carry around my PSP, I need the cartridges, memory sticks (although not for the "Go"), case, etc. If I can't even fit the thing in my pocket anymore, is it really "portable gaming?" Say what you want about the "amazing" graphics on the PSP (the ones on the DS are pretty bad IMHO), they truly do not compensate for the unnecessary bulk, and the extra 30 (or even more) dollars. Okay, I'll give you this - Madden is great on the PSP (not so much the DS though), but look at the iPhone in a year - Real Soccer is basically the same quality minus the commentating (although it is a different sport), and Madden is coming for the iPhone too. In conclusion, there is really no comparison except for the gamers who would rather sit in their desk chair and play their PSP/DS than walk into the other room and play a console game (which runs laps around portable gaming). iPhone/iPod Touch wins by far IMHO.

7. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #47 mofard, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    Great your virtual wife says I am wrong I am really going to change my mind now lol, and if you were married you wouldn't be wasting your time on a forum

no, I can play mario kart ds for hrs with my friends without wifi required, where as the iphone can't play wireless unless there is wifi around and the battery life would die after one hour anyways, and without tactile feedback with controls the buttonless iphone virtual pad suffers, that is a fact

Wow what is the point of a portable device then, and my iphone takes way longer than 30 mins to fully charge dude, plus with the psp you can CHANGE THE BATTERY and in the iphone it is locked in so that adds about 14 hrs of straight play where as the iphone only has about 3

no we should rename it dogmeat saying that the iphone is better as a gaming device without any clear evidence at all, does the iphone have mario? zelda? god of war? ridge racer? rock band? guitar hero? ratchet and clank? medal of honor? metroid? no just knock offs

The Playstation network came before the appstore, so you lose there
    PSP and DS batteries not great? What the heck is wrong with you? The PSP and DS can play games for 8 hrs straight, the iPhone only 2-3 hrs so don't even try to say that the iphone battery is good

If the iPhone wants to become a serious gaming device, get buttons and good battery life, oh and some good games too

8. dudehuge

dudehuge Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2008
    #48 dudehuge, Jun 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
    TouchArcade must take a queue from more established gaming forums. When they have threads with titles like this and a mod sees it, it's insta-closed.

This will just end up in long non-sensical discussions that will involve every other thing that you can think of and eventually end up as a useless thread that didn't discuss the PSP Go and iPhone comparison.

But those that do will enjoy the fun memories to the beat of pon-pon-pon-pon-pata-pata-pata-pon.

You have a pretty narrow close minded view on gaming dogmeat. But hey free country right? Games have grown as a valid deep platform now and restricting it to a narrow subject or concept will be selling itself short.

I say to game developers, just make your game as you originally intended it to be. We will bitch and whine anyway even if you do it right.

9. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    No, the iPhone/iPod Touch does not.

The PSP and DS will always be true handheld gaming systems. Sure, the iPhone/iPod Touch has many great games, but all it is is a gimmick of a handheld gaming device. The true use of an iPhone is for the phone, and the true use for the iPod Touch is for the music/videos, while the true use of a PSP/DS is for gaming.

10. randomdude

randomdude Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    One day MP3, cellphones, computers, everything will merge into one single device and when they day when everything is combined, they all have to eventually rely on first hype which Apple is #1 at ;) and visibilty which Apple is number one at too so yes I see a very bright Apple future.

11. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #51 mofard, Jun 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
    Agreed, but dogmeat is too hardheaded to realize this fact

Lol yeah if it is shiny and made by apple people by it just to find out a better version is released a couple months later

12. Bachus

Bachus Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Killer Robots
    Baton Rouge
    PSP released December '04: 52 million worldwide sales
    iDevices released June '07: 40 million worldwide sales

iPhone and iPod touch haven't passed the PSP yet, but they probably will by the end of the year. It's silly at this point to say the iDevices aren't competing against the DS and PSP. They have different capabilities, and they're going after different markets, but they're still competing.

13. alexhardy

alexhardy Member

Oh dear :)

I'm pretty sure I didn't suggest that the iPhone would "kill" (for want of a better term) the PSP or DS. It isn't going to happen, period. What's more, I wouldn't want it to.

I was speculating on the implications of iPhone OS 3.0, and whether Sony had demonstrated a viable form-factor that could translate to iPhone.

I think it's clear that mobile phones, media players, game consoles are all heading toward the same convergent point (albeit from different directions).

14. almost

almost Member

Jan 13, 2009
    Gran Turismo for PSP looks awesome. I have never liked portable gaming though. Bought a Gameboy Color and it was cool, Pokemon and Zelda were the best.

But it quickly died as I prefer bigger and better games coming out on Xbox.

I only brought a iPhone as a I needed a new phone. Still dislike portable gaming.

15. Sev

Sev Active Member

Jun 11, 2009
    This debate goes nowhere because people have different expectations from portable gaming, in my opinion.

Is the Iphone "better" than a DS or a PsP? certainly not. Is it worst though?

Well, there are some games that definitely requires buttons, like beat them ups (street fighters, king of fighters,..). These games would play terribly on our touch based device. But on another hand, the iPhone has the accelerometer and multi-touch abilities, and games exploiting these functionnality can't be ported on DS/PsP, as i'm not sure that the result would still be as fun as it is if you'd change a game working with accelerometer/multitouch to buttons.
    So here, there is no winner really, imo.

But i'd like to point out something else.
    We have to notice that there are more "heavy" games on DS and PSP, some are even home console light ports. I'm talking about these games with deep scenario that frustrates you when you have to quit playing because you arrived at your station. The appstore has more casual and scoring games that you can play 2 minutes or 2 hours, it's just okay.

Does portable gaming has to be hardcore like home? I'll drop my 2 cents and say no, please no. The last thing i want to play in my bus is Metal gear solid, mass effect, or gears of war, no matter how awesome these games can be at home, and no matter how technically it can be impressive to watch this in your hand. I prefer the things to be simple and casual.

However on my PC and home consoles, i cannot stand casual games, i prefere them to be hardcore, because i can take time to sit and explore, be immerged, play it in the dark, FEEL it, you see? There are too many parasites around you in the street to feel a "deep" game on a portable.

I'm happier with my Iphone than my PSP and my DS. That doesn't mean it's better or worst. It's just closer to what I expect.

16. reinhart_menken

reinhart_menken Well-Known Member

May 8, 2009
    #56 reinhart_menken, Jun 11, 2009
    I use a touch too, how is it that you keep getting the 20% battery left? I don't =/ Might be different usage.

This is an interesting thread, certainly more so for someone who doesn't have PSP or DS, or interested. They just don't appeal to me.

I see what most people said and I agree that iphone's more for break-time gaming (which is what I get it for - when I'm in between classes, waiting for appointment, for the bus, before work). Whereas PSP and DS do have more in-depth games (I haven't played any, but I'm pretty sure they have games longer than Hero of Sparta - which I really like, not so much Assassin's Creed).

One thing I don't agree with is people keep knocking that the iDevice (iphone or touch) for not having tactile controls. The point of the iDevices is to not have tactile controls. It's made to enjoy games where you use the accelerometer and the touch screen (neither afore-argued devices have that, right?). I enjoy the sniping games, other touch-based shooting games, racing games; and other various games that don't need a dpad.

Sure, it's not really made to play games with dpads, but that doesn't mean there isn't any with good pads. NanoFighter's author have managed to fine tune his dpad to be responsive and not stiff, and I believe Isotope have their dpads to still work if you go off the dpad on-screen (because....not being tactile, it happens, since you can't play the game and watch the pad at the same time). The problem lies in people wanting it to play/make games that it's not intended for, and not refining the control method (a small game like NanoFighter have better control than the god damn Resident Evil). So I believe the control issue could be resolved, if people will just do it right. Then again, it'll never have the shoulder buttons and that goes back to the issue that it's meant to be played without it (let's just say the PSP and DS have more buttons).

Anyways, I got my iDevice purely because I'm tired of playing games with tactile controls (ha!). I'm a PC gamer and as you can imagine, I deal with A LOT more buttons than the PSP or DS, and I'm sick of it. I don't want to have anything to do with pressing buttons, and the iDevices come the closest to that (touch-screen isn't button).

PSP DS might be better for game-playing, based on the games that it has, though potential-wise in an ideal world iDevice could have longer games (battery-life aside), though I'm inclined to think that various companies wouldn't license their big name games to iPhone, out of self-preservation.

I still like my iTouch, regardless of which is better (iDevices just suit me better for my needs). I just prefer having a versatile device. I'm just happy that with the new 3GS I can play better looking games on it (now let's just wait and see if they release an ipod touch version, so I don't need to waste my battery life on a friggin' phone capability).

ps. iDevices have portable batteries storage as well, and I have one that charges it 2.5 times, though I don't know if that'd equate to 8 hours (prolly not).

17. mofard

mofard Well-Known Member

Jun 10, 2009
    #57 mofard, Jun 11, 2009
    Yes but people by the iphone and ipods as phones or music players, but people who buy the psp and ds buy that for gaming

Yes but in a plane or a car ride I would rather take my psp and ds over my iphone, you should agree with that, and there is a winner psp and ds for gaming, and iphone for everything else

Me too, and also for quick 2 minute gaming periods when I am bored

18. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Not read the entire thread but I will post anyway :p

The PSPgo looks awesome and I think it's the right direction sony should take the thing, but the more expensive price point and lack of touch screen means you have to slide it up to do anything like pause a video, play a game, browse the web etc.

The 3gS while a powerful device is still limited to being a phone on a contract, I see the touch 2g as more of a gaming device then the iphone because of no monthly bills, no need to buy one on contract and well, overall cheaper (unless you buy a iphone 2nd hand or a hooky version)

Until the PSPgo is out and we see what Sony does and how well the download service is, hard to compare them.