iphone 3gs/3rd gen touch optimized games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by XGLITE, Oct 7, 2009.

1. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    hahaha funny

2. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

Lmao

3. Rad

Rad Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2009
    Washington
    I think more developers need to add code to determine if the device is a 3GS and set the graphics based on this versus maintaining two programs.

The developer of the two previously mentioned games says this is not possible.

I think if a program is built from the ground up with this in mind it could be done.

4. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    The reason why I think devs, especially indie devs don't make more 3gs specific games is because if they do they lose a majority of their audience which correlates to their sales. Getting more exposure and people playing is more important.

5. Rylin

Rylin Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    On the flipside, I would think marketing new apps that use the new technology would gravitate more people into buying/upgrading if the apps are amazing. Am I wrong?

6. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    Isnt there/there going to be a zen bound 3GS?

7. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    No, you should listen to all the complaints 1st gen users had when some games such as Samurai was only 2nd gen compatible. If everyone did it then yes we would have to but not everyone is made of money or have parents to spoon feed us.

8. Chumbake

Chumbake Well-Known Member

SurounDEAD has a 3Gs specific control type that utilizes the built in compass to look Round by physically turning in the real world.

9. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Yes, it's in development. The name may change slightly, and we've changed the scope of the project a bit. We're aiming for the holidays, but polishing will determine the actual release date.

It should be quite beautiful when it's done :)

10. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    If we already purchased an original game, then they bring out an 3gs specific of the same game, we should get it at a cheaper price

11. Outkast1

Outkast1 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    California
    iPhone 3GS (ipod touch 3) specific games list

Searched here and Google, and couldn't find a complete list of 3GS specific games.

Here are the three I know of:

1. Blue Skies 3GS
    2. Dark Raider 3GS
    3. Adrenaline Golf Online 3GS

Anybody know of more? I don't think the list is huge right now but if it grows I can keep this updated. Thanks.

12. gatorsxrule

gatorsxrule Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    School
    Florida
    Arcade reality and mosquitos are for 3gs only I think

13. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Eliminate is 3GS enhanced.

14. AaronAMV

AaronAMV Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    WHO KNOWS
    Twilight Golf just added more shades for 3GS users in the latest update.

15. Gregz0r

Gregz0r Well-Known Member

Any 3GS Optimized Titles yet?

I know it makes economic sense for a dev to make their apps available for all models, but I was wondering if there are any apps either out, or in the pipeline, that can take full advantage of the 3GS' faster CPU and extra RAM?

Firemint have a video on YouTube, showing their Real Racing game with 40(!) cars running at once.

16. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    There are a few...the only ones I can think of offhand are Pandorum and Asphalt 5. They both add some additional graphical effects. There are a number of games that run MUCH faster and smoother on the 3GS as opposed to other devices. From what I've read Command and Conquer is much worse on older devices...I don't know as I have a 3GS. There are more, but I can't think of them right now.

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Ravensword has shadow effects that will only run effectively on a 3Gs. There's Adrenaline Golf, which has 3Gs only water effect. Speed Forge Extreme (on the front page) will have 3Gs only effects. Rocking Pocket Games has made 3Gs only versions of several of their games. Then there are games like Pirate Wings and Katamari that nominally work with all devices, but which provide such an improved experience on a 3Gs that they might as well be exclusive to the next gen devices.

18. MexicanJesus

MexicanJesus Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Are the 3GS spec improvements that great? I am fairly new to the iPhone scene. This thread has me conserved that I'm holding obsolete technology.

19. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Blue Skies and Dark Raider have 3gs only apps