Iphone/ipod vs psp vs ds.What do you think?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sa66o6, Sep 22, 2009.

1. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm gonna be brutally honest... yes. Because I can't stand TWEWY :)

...and yes I own it.

2. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Now I understand why you defend the iPhone so much; you have a really bad taste for games :)

3. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    I couldn't stand how it tried so hard to appeal to "hip" and "street" culture, it reminded me of a TV host trying to get down with the kidzzzz.

4. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    So that's why you didn't like it? Oh man.....

5. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's like watching an 80s soap opera... do I need anymore reasons? I buy way too many games to have bad taste anyway :p

6. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    *Sigh*

It seems to me that no matter what genre a DS game is, it has this weird underlying feeling of being extremely childish, even if, at first glance, a game seems to be mature.

7. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    We've already proven that wrong, but here you go:

You can pretend it's childish if you like, but this game will blow your head off and leave a deposit in your neck. It's a shame there aren't any plans for an iPhone port, everyone around here would be creamin'.

8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    This kind of proves my earlier point. I'm sure that for you that image is awesome, Omega-F. But it does nothing for me. On the other hand, this one rocks my world...

[​IMG]

...though it probably does little for you. Games are all about fun, and fun cannot be objectively measured.

9. fenrir911

fenrir911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    Someone just had to bring up the bangai-o spirits game huh... Well im not going to lie, I enjoyed bangai-o and i enjoyed TWEWY, and I think that that is also why I enjoyed HYBRID.

Oh and to the guy that was comparing the PSP specs to the iPhones... there is one thing you are forgetting, it is that the PSP allocates everything towards a game, while the iTouch keeps alot of background processes running, that is why the iTouch(bar 3g touch and 3gs) do not produce graphics as good as the PSP's. The psp allocates 64 mb and all 333 mhz to one game, while the iTouch allocates only 45 mb ram, and I think it was 356 mhz to whatever app is running. I know it may seem like it can output more, but the PSP was made speciffically for playing games while the iTouch was not.

thats not to say I dont enjoy, heck I gave away my PSP after I got my iTouch. :) thats dedication to one scene, I used to be in the PSP and DS scene, but I gave away both of those and now only follow the iPod scene.

10. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Friend for life!

11. fenrir911

fenrir911 Well-Known Member

May 30, 2009
    #91 fenrir911, Sep 23, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    The game reminded me of turrican though only ten times more awesome, I never figured out what the watermelons (?) were for, you collected them throughout the game but... its on the cover too, glad I still have my import box :)

EDIT: I just wanted to post this video to show this:
    Youtube Link ( do not know how to embed the video)
    The PSP is able to output all those enemies :) Im pretty sure the 3gs can do that, but the iTouch 2g cant even do HYBRID. Im not saying those are the best graphics im just saying that the PSP has more processing power than the iTouch 2g.

...I miss my PSP... But I enjoy my iTouch.

12. SpungoMcGee

SpungoMcGee Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    Is anyone still trying to claim the PSP has more "power" than the iPhone after PSP Gran Turismo? Graphics roughly the equal of Real Racing, but able to put just FOUR cars on screen, where RR's 3GS demo showed the iPhone (and the new Touches) can manage 40.

13. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Personally I own an iPhone 3G, a PSP and a Nintendo DS. In my opinion the DS is by far the best gaming platform despite its modest specs.

I've never really liked the PSP even if I have a few good games for it, there's just something that feels slightly "off". For instance I find the DS superior when it comes to actually moving stuff and the loading-times have also been an irritating factor. As a pure gaming device I find the DS almost perfectly balanced, innovative use of stuff like dual-screens and the touch-screen in addition the the physical buttons that just feels "right" for an old-timer like me.

I think the iPhone is just about the best gizmo ever made though, and I'm probably using it the most, for playing as well, simply as I always have it with me. As a pure gaming device though I feel that the lack of physical buttons will always keep playing second fiddle...

14. twilightknight

twilightknight Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    i Mean, If your talking about graphics, than the Psp would definately come first, nodoubt. But The ipod touch is more open to all areas of software, and more easy to operate, which makes it better than the psp. Ipod compared to the ds, the DS would definatley lose. Both touch screen devices, but as I said before, the iphone can handle equal/better graphics than the DS and comes in much much much more software than the DS

15. TimothyR

TimothyR Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    Actually, the iPhone 3GS/iPod touch 3rd gen can handle much better graphics than the PSP. Even the old devices can handle equally nice graphics. Look at Adrenaline Gold Online. Nice visuals, lags a bit though.

16. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #96 LBG, Sep 23, 2009
    No, 17 actually. And do you have a problem with that?
    I know 14 year olds that would make you look about as intelligent as a chimp.

17. Owl

Owl Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Last time I checked, the quality of a device was measured by... Well... How much fun you have with it. I can compare a peice of driftwood and a few good sized rocks at a beach to a gaming system if I really wanted. Think about it: why does it matter if something has a stronger processor or better graphics if the games are boring and stupid? And then, how would you judge how much fun a game is if there's a massive amount of variables in what people like? It's almost impossible to give a "which is better" because we all think some things are better than others.

I liked the PSP for one game, and one game only. Wipeout Pulse. That's it. I didn't like the PSP because I just couldn't get into the games like I can with the iPhone. They seem more fun for my purposes; pick up and play, or play in the car while listening to music. Nothing intense. For intense, I have my PC. :D

/endimput

18. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I hope soo.....

19. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    Not saying the PSP is more powerful, but PSP's Gran Turismo looks a whole lot better than RR to me.

20. SpungoMcGee

SpungoMcGee Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2009
    #100 SpungoMcGee, Sep 23, 2009
    Really?

Gran Turismo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Real Racing:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PSP also doesn't seem to be up to managing an in-car view, and RR gets 50% more cars onscreen. It seems pretty clear where any hardware advantage lies.