iPhone OS 4.0 today

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ihavenolife, Apr 8, 2010.

1. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
  2. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    please let it be true

3. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Advertising, no!!!!

4. chrisrushing

chrisrushing Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    Chattanooga, TN
    Gaming Center...

goodbye openfeint, +plus, agon, etc...

5. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    Free Winnie the Pooh YAAAAYYY

6. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Who loves iPhone OS 4? Me!
    Who thinks Apple pushed the knife in their backs creating GamingCenter..?

7. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

NOOOOO! No multitasking for 2 gen iPod Touch...

8. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    If I own iPod touch 3G 8GB do You think it will support multitasking?
    Some apps recognize it as 2G...

9. Ddyracer123

Ddyracer123 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    I wonder if this will slow down people from jailbreaking? (3gs and 3 gen touch users?)

Just a thought. I know i won't now that i have what i want most :)

10. Marioman619

Marioman619 Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    So no FM and 802.11n in 3rd gen iPod touches?

11. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland
    Don't iPod touches suppoer 802.11n Wi-Fi? Mine does. At least, this is what is written on the box.

12. loves2spoon

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    My contract for the iPhone 3G isn't up until October so I guess I'll be spending $500-600 for the iPhone "HD"? lol

Can't wait 4 months while everyone else get's to play with there new toys!!

13. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    not enough memory in a 2g touch for that :(

bet Apple had multitasking planned for a while..all that extra RAM and processing power in a 3g(s) had to be for something

14. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Have you seen how they implement it though? It's quite different than what's available on mobile platforms today. It's more along the lines of extras on a DVD or BD-ROM, actually. Launches in the app, takes you to "extras", and you may even have games and activities within the ad itself.

I've been thinking about it for a bit...and this is really gonna revolutionize not only ad placement in the mobile market, but quite possibly beyond. I usually make fun of Apple's "genius" in a sarcastic way, but they're really onto something with this iAd feature. I fully expect to see that this, more than anything else they've done, will be copied and copied by other manufacturers and even service providers quite frankly, not only in the mobile market, but in the cable tv industry, game console industry, etc.

There's money in them thar hills :D

15. loves2spoon

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    Hello Bank Account Meet Apple.

Apple Meet Bank Account.

nom nom nom nom

[​IMG]

16. Ddyracer123

Aug 4, 2009
    I never got what genius is. It's pretty crappy especially on the app store. Gives dumb selections that are usually in other categories.

As for iAd, i won't judge it till at least i see the keynote.

17. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    That's actually looking a little hazy at the moment.

18. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    As happy as I am to hear about the multitasking in the next update, I can't help but wonder what took so long. Sure people will come up with reasons and excuses, but other companies have been doing this for quite a while.

Other than that, social game networking and the new ad architecture are solid, albeit ambiguous, announcements.

19. Ddyracer123

Aug 4, 2009
    Apple took their sweet ole time on purpose. They weren't trying to "get it right". More like "i don't give a sh$t what other competitors are doing I'll take my sweet old time" (Steve Jobs.)

20. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    lol w/loves2spoon

Seriously, and that iAd thing is just gonna get more people to spend more. Because now that the ads launch within the app, and are chosen by the user, well, now those advertisers, those marketing gurus have to create ad content that truly grabs the user. If they do that via the type of interactivity that Apple is proposing, and maybe even allowing to buy certain areas of that interactive content within the ad itself, hell...the skies the limit.

Imagine playing a free game (I dunno, some Asteroids type game), and an ad banner for a new Star Trek movie is on the bottom of screen as you are about to enter a boss battle. You need a bit of a break, and the ad strikes your interest (you're a huge ST fan). You click it, and it brings you, without totally leaving the game, into a Star Trek ad app which has Star Trek trivia, minigames, a sound board ("Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor not an elephant!"), movie trailers, Star Trek iBook previews and comic previews, etc. built in to that ad. And now imagine you can buy the minigames portion, or the sound board to use outside of the ad or that Star Trek iBook or comic. That's a LOT of potential right there, just an enormous amount of potential for increasing sales for a variety of products via that one ad placement.

And if the content is gripping enough, the consumer won't really mind. Why? Because the ad, just like those DVD/BD extras will be "fun" and can be "chosen" to be launched. And, hell, if you can make ads "fun" for people, you're damn near to the mountaintop as far as advertising and marketing are concerned. And the kicker is you exit the ad after doing all of that, and boom, you're right at that boss fight you were about to play earlier. You got your break, had some fun, and now are ready to get "back to work". It's unobtrusive, and it's FUN. That's some really genius stuff right there.