iPhone OS 4.0 today

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by ihavenolife, Apr 8, 2010.

1. The reason was that Apple wanted to create a system that allowed developers to create apps that were as battery friendly as possible.

They didn't want to end up with a device doing all sorts of useless work like updating graphics and getting realtime GPS or accelerometer data when an app isn't in the foreground app.

So instead, they have a specific set of things that you are allowed to do in the "background", and one can presume, specific APIs to do each of them. After calling the given API, your app is likely put to sleep and the system handles the "background task".

Having said that, I think that the business case to provide this feature before now was not all that strong, so that definitely contributed to the delay.

2. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    lol

I didn't mean the "Genius" application, but "genius" as in "intelligence".

The best and brightest at Apple, IMHO, have always been the people who work marketing over there. Some people have labeled Steve Jobs a "snake oil salesman", but, y'know what...it's kind of a compliment. Say what you will, that guy and his people can sell just about anything to folks out there. That's a helluva skill.

3. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    I don't necessarily buy the argument about battery life. The iPhone and iPod Touch devices have some of the worse battery life for any mobile device. On the other hand, it could've been even worse with multitasking which remains to be seen. Of course, with the iPad, multitasking is a must if its to be taken seriously as a mobile computing device, which I think is the real motive for why Apple finally gave in. Sure, you can keep hitting the home button, but that's pretty ridiculous when you think about it.

4. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    So can a dev around here add my UID and hook me up with 4.0? PLEASE?! :confused:

5. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    It is a 2g iPod touch :(
    There is NO iPod touch 2g which is 8 gb

6. Dam now I need to get a new device :(

7. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Come on dev's hook me up! I know someone can do it... PLEASE!!!

8. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    how many apps fit into a single folder does anyone know?

9. Venan

Venan Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Well, if you read between the lines, they aren't doing real "multi-tasking" in the traditional sense. Seeing as how the OS is based on OSX, it would have been trivial to include it the normal way, so I'll take it at face value that they wanted to do something that wouldn't kill the user experience. They are right in that if you have some mis-behaving app using processor when it shouldn't, you'll start getting complaints about battery life, sluggish performance, etc. Given the number of people developing apps for the iphone, I think you can pretty much guarantee a large number of apps would be doing naughty things like that. Having run a Windows Mobile phone for awhile, the multi-tasking isn't all it's cracked up to be, especially when you are constrained for memory and processor resources.

So, rather than just implement a general multi-tasking environment, they are only providing a set of very specific services that can be active in the background. Most likely these services will cover about 95% of what users want to do and maybe 25% of what developers want to do, but c'est la vie :) They are approaching this from a new direction, one that is less flexible, but in the end perhaps better in terms of the end user experience.

10. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    10:36AM "I can drag this around anywhere I want. I can have as many as I'd like. I can also put a folder in the dock." from here

10:38AM "You used to be able to see 180 apps on your phone, now it's over 2000."

11. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Ok let's say I have the firmware now, how do I get my UDID registered?...

12. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    oo thanks

I thought since he said you could see 2160 there'd be a limit. guess I misunderstood

13. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    A developer needs to add you to his account.

14. YouAllEverybody

YouAllEverybody Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    can you add apps to more than one folder?
    and when you add one to a folder it disappears from springboard right

15. LUFCLuke

LUFCLuke Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2010
    UK
    would it be possible for devs to share the 4.0 os?

16. 1337brian

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    or at least add a few of us?.. Man I want folders so bad! And before everyone chimes in about JB'ng, I have a 3gs on the newest firmware out the box, there's nothing that can be done!

17. wootbean

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    add me!
    o:

18. Foozelz

Foozelz Well-Known Member

9 in every folder I believe.

19. FK1983

FK1983 Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Web Design
    Bournemouth, UK
    Yes but no one will as Apple would sue the asses off them if they gave the OS preview to anyone else.
    I think people should be banned or warned for requesting a copy of the os4 on this site, surely not legal anyway?

20. #60 MindJuice, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
    I would have expected that you could have a folder everywhere that you can currently have an app. 11 screens times 12 icons = 132. 132 times 16 = 2112. If you add 64 more for the dock icons, that is 2176.

Meh...Apple math! Perhaps there are a couple of icons that can't be put in folders.