iPhone racing game Rally Master Pro suffers 95 per cent piracy on first day

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by salsamd, Oct 27, 2009.

1. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    tell that to the numerous devs that want us to combat piracy

2. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Which dev asked us to combat piracy :confused:

They are only reporting how bad piracy is hurting their sales. AFAIK none asked us to do anything. All they are doing is discussing this topic and what better place than touch arcade for any discussion about appstore games? I`m definitely not getting why you are so annoyed with piracy related threads.

3. loves2spoon

loves2spoon Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    This is the worst Rally/Racing game I have ever played, the controls are bad - the voice acting is terrible, don't get me wrong the visuals are nice but it's just not worth $7.

4. Stykman

Stykman Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2009
    Beta Tester, Student
    United States
    There is no point in fighting piracy at this point
    the problem has become far to big to be taken down by a mere couple of complaint threads

5. Kintaro360

Kintaro360 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Vienna
    This game is not worth my time if it was for free.

Bad controlls
    NO feeling about speed
    crappy framerate even on iPhone 3GS
    the intro music makes me depressed - even though I like grunge but it doesn't fit into a racing game

So why would anybody be as dumb as I was and pay for this pile of sh...aving cream?

I bet, that 90% of all buyers and pirates deletes this game right after the first race.

6. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    #46 HardcoreEricXXX, Oct 28, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
    Another victim of piracy, piracy strikes again, rally master pro suffers.

These are all named to garner a little bit of sympathy and a lil bit of publicity. Why would you come complain to 10,000 14 year old boys about how Apple isn't doing the right thing. Why don't I go tell my parents how my quizzes in class are unfair? Or how bout I go tell my neighbor how VDOT should go put another layer of asphault on our road? They may be just trying to make us aware, but they're preaching to the wrong people. Plus these stats are bull. Sure 90% of copies distributed got pirated for a day, but what do they expect, for all iPhone owners to go pick up their game on release. With the way the AppStore is with constant price instability how can you expect everyone to jump on a game at release. Of course everyone who is able to pick it up for free will do it at release. The stats they are throwing out just get suckers like you to feel some sympathy for them and drum up some publicity on how much piracy is going on. I just hate having to see companies resort to this type of advertisement for a game, because Rally Master Pro is a great game.
    The words may not be there, but they are preaching to the wrong people to combat piracy by supporting their game. Why do I need to be made aware of theirs and apples problem. They need to suck it up and go make games for Windows mobile, oh wait, there is piracy there too, they need to go make xbox game, oh wait, there is piracy there too. They need to go make games for DS, oh wait, there is piracy there too.
    They are a whole bunch of cry babies trying to get my sympathy, and I'm tired of hearing it.

7. lazrhog

lazrhog Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Software
    UK
    Sorry. Was annoyed that I got put to the back of a 3 week queue for that misdemeanor :)

8. loves2spoon

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    [​IMG]

9. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Wow.

All of that, and really nothing was actually stated.

You could've condensed all that to:

"Waaaah!!!"

And it would've had the same effect.

You're tired of hearing about it?

Then avoid these topics.

As long as devs are unable to maximize their revenue potential due to piracy they will always levy complaints against those who get their gains through ill gotten means.

As for the idea of "oh, they're living their dream jobs and they should just suck it up":

We don't live in some goddamn imaginary Utopian communistic society where everything is candy colored rainbows made from Skittles and everyone should be "happy" with their lot in life, no matter how many people screw them over, and artists of all stripes, whether entertainers, writers, musicians or video game developers should just give their stuff away to make everyone feel all warm and snuggly inside.

They made a product to sell for profit. In order to facilitate this they must drum up interest. Those in the vast pool of consumers who become interested in a particular product become potential consumers for that particular product. Whether they will buy, or at what price they will buy, depends on their level of interest and whether price meets level of demand, yes, but interest still exists. Those who download illegitimate copies (pirates) thus circumvent the usual legit methods of getting the product and enjoy all the benefits without an exchange being made with the seller of said product (product for payment). As such, that's a lost potential sale any way you slice it, which means revenue potential suffers, which means the devs aren't getting the money that they should be getting.

I'd be bitchin' and moanin' too if people were taking my product without paying. Their anger over the situation is at the very least understandable. That is, understandable if you've ever sold something in your life, particularly something that you've made.

Don't wanna hear about it?

Don't listen.

Simple solution.

10. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    wow, piracy just PWNED this game

11. HardcoreEricXXX

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    So because consumers are ripping off your product you'd complain to them. Why would you go waste time and resources complaining to people who can't make a goddam amount of difference? I'd be giving apple a stern word and encourage other dev's to do the same. Not telling teenage kids how easy and widespread the problem is.

12. loves2spoon

Sep 22, 2009
    Sales
    California
    cough*publicity stunt*cough

13. scenomorph

scenomorph Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I bought this game, and I think it's really worth about 4.99. If they don't fix the sluggish accelerometer controls, I don't really see how they can differentiate it from the other mobile phone versions it's seen(which can be downloaded for free on their website).

The graphics are nice, the tracks are well done, the sound design is decent (could use more voices), but the mini games are lame. So it rounds out to a decent app, but not one that really shines on the iPhone because it ends up being a tap-steering game instead of an accelerometer-controlled game, which is just not how racing games should be on the iPhone.

14. Firestar

Firestar Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2009
    Student/Programer
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Effective? Yes. 13yr old actually, and you will not that I am using proper English. I talked to my friend (jailbroken, pirates apps) and he decided to go out and buy all the apps he would have paid for anyway. That's about $80. This sort of publicity does work.

15. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    I had no idea that iPhone games could be pirated, thanks for the info.

Munkie!