ipod touch 5 is a bit overpriced

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by klarence, Sep 14, 2012.

1. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #21 mr.Ugly, Sep 16, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
    thats not true..they should have more or less the same performance since the A5 in the iPhone is underclocked to 800Mhz where as the iPad runs at 1Ghz.

so roughly 20% less pixels and 20% less speed, then add more background task running on the phone (the phone stuff ofcourse) and the ipad should come slightly ahead.

as for the ipod touch.. well i think the price is "normal".. it appears more expensive since it starts at 32gb. then of course the iphone5 is around 400$ more expensive than the touch.

2. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The processor doesn't push pixels. The GPU does. So if the iPad 2 has a slightly higher clock speed for the CPU, it'll open apps faster, navigate the Internet quicker etc but the iPhone will, in theory, have superior gaming performance as the CPU is rarely needed heavily.

3. Shadowking2214

Shadowking2214 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2012
    None
    Same here I'm looking forward to no lag on games with the iPod 5th gen my fourth lags like hell on nova 3 so itll be fun now and I still retain a 1.7 k/d on nova 3

4. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    really? thats news to me.. o_O maybe apple clocks the cpu and gpu in correlation since its a soc? all benchmarks of the ipad2 and 4s show a reduced gpu performance in line with the official cpu clock speed. so it seems the gpu is running at around 1/4 of the cpus clock speed, but there are no official numbers.

5. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    I thought the gpu and CPU were clocked separately, though it would make sense to lock down the iphone's gpu more to prevent to much heat. I think you're right they're both clocked in correlation.

6. Dx_0628

Dx_0628 Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Creating ideas for future gaming.
    I agree that the new iPod touch is a bit overpriced. they should have kept the 8 gb model so that more people would be able to afford it. i think many people are going to skip this model because for $299 plus tax they can buy something else such as maybe an xbox 360 or a PS3. thats my opinion.

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #27 Vovin, Sep 19, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

Every nanometer of the iPhone 5's (and iPT) interior is reserved for some stuff. So I guess it's lack of space. Even the tiniest memory chip uses up precious space.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm on the fence. Ideally i would sell my ipod 4th gen 64 gig for a good amount to put towards the new ipod. But my 'home button' is sticky/slightly stuck, still works but i can imagine even though i would mention it i would have hassle off the buyer on ebay. Apple cant fix it without smashing the screen so that would be expensive.

A few games keep crashing on my ipod 4th gen due to its memory, so i'm tempted to go for the new ipod. Then again spending £330 on a new ipod just because 5 or so favourite apps crash isnt the best idea.

Torn on what to do ! Should i be 'sensible', save the money and get a new ipod touch when its out in a year or two. Or just go ahead and order it ?!

9. Dragnoe

Dragnoe Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2012
    I've heard if you get a q tip and dip it in a tiny bit of alcohol and rub the edges of the button, it'll loosen up the button

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks for that, yeah i did a fair bit of searching on the net and that seems the best. Tried that out and it helped 'slightly' , if i tape the home button with my finger you see 'gunk' at the sides. Suppose i'll just keep on trying, frustrating, i've got used to it but if i sell it and even pre-warn the buyer i'm sure it'll be hassle.

So tempted to get the ipod touch 5

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    If you want to game on it I would seriously consider getting the 5th gen touch. The 4g just needs an update pretty badly.

12. Dx_0628

Dec 10, 2010
    i would try and keep the old iPod and then maybe buy the new one once you have the money. i mean if it still works might as well use it a bit more so you can save money and then purchase it. i bought mine when it came out last year in white 32GB but i wish i would have waited one more year as apple tends to change the model every year.

13. Dx_0628

Dec 10, 2010

i agree the gaming is rather "sluggish" and going from my old iPod 2nd generation (late September 2009) to this one i'm kinda disappointed in the gaming as my old iPod would perform better while playing games. i mean i still like my iPod lol.

14. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    It was reported by ifixit that the new iPhone indeed has 1GB of RAM. I would think the ipod should have the same amount, but I wouldn't be shocked if it had only half the RAM just like with the phone (512)/touch (256) 4th gen. devices.

15. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    We are forgetting something I suppose.... the iPhone 5 has 1gb of ram.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    The itouch will most likely have 512 mb of ram.

17. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    it does.

Remember, Apple will ensure that they keep a significant difference between the specs of iPhone & iPod touchs, they make PpL buy 2 ipod touchs who do not choose to buy an iPhone & also pay for the data plan.

I have surely fallen out of love with Apple, But I am thankful to them for changing the face of the phones & making the apps availability with in the device itself.

18. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I'm not going to believe the iPod has 512mb until I see ifixit or somewhere else open it up, Apple restricts the iPod on purpose to keep it from competing with the iPhones.
    Truthfully I'd expect at least 512mb and that probably is the case but I really wouldn't be that surprised to see Apple alter the A5 to 256mb for the Touch.

Would it be a stupid move of course but it's Apple and their going to want the iPad mini to look good when it appears.