is mac mini good for making apps?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Bigglesworth266, May 9, 2010.

1. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    dont worry, i have a KVM switch with my XP/Linux computer, i have m vista computer in my room and my XP/Linux comps in the office. I want to move them all in the office and have 3 monitors with a 3 way KVM to Vista (if i dont upgrade to win7)/ Linux/ Mac

how much would that run me? I have the monitors and stuff, but how much would it be to have a three way KVM to three monitor display?

2. etoiles

etoiles Well-Known Member

3 monitors on the mac mini will require some creative tinkering and extra hardware... not sure how nicely that is going to play with your KVM setup.

My somewhat uneducated guess is you will be limited to one or two monitors on the mini with that setup.

You might already know this, wanted to put that out there just in case ;)

3. BlueSolarSoftware

BlueSolarSoftware Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    Austin
    I bought 4gb of ram for about $60 USD from Fry's. I installed the ram myself. It took about an hour and the hardest part was trying to crack open the case.

I initially wanted to get 2gb of ram, but I was afraid it wouldn't be enough. I had to take out the original ram, and now it's just sitting around collecting dust.

4. TinyTechnician

TinyTechnician Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    I use a Mac Mini for developing my Apps and it works fine. I kind of only use it to build and test out my Apps though (and for submission of course). I use my main PC to do everything else though (anything not dependent on Xcode, such as art, SFX, etc).

I use a KVM for my setup with my Mac Mini and PC and basically share the project folder between the two.

5. I use a Mac Mini (Intel graphics) with 2GB RAM. Works perfect for 2D iPhone dev. Photoshop, Xcode, and Lightwave all run great on it.

6. We purchased one to create "Adventures of Marshal Marshmallow", works great with Unity3d, and ran all the programs we needed for production. Although this all depends on your project. It worked really well for us, but at the same time we were developing a 2D / 2.5D game.

I'd recommend it for 2D iPhone production. It's nice and small, light and affordable. Best of all it's easily transportable.

Hope this Helps,

7. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I wouldn't bother with a KVM. Synergy is a great free program that lets you share a keyboard and mouse between multiple computers. I've used it both with mac hosting for windows and now with Windows hosting for mac (but with a mac keyboard and mouse on that PC!)

I have four monitors in front of me, my macbook, a second mac monitor and two screens on my Windows 7 PC, the mouse can move between all four of them :)

8. spacefrog

spacefrog Active Member

Oct 9, 2009
    Totally agree with you here. Synergy is just such a cool thing - never could imagine working without it. Got a few problems on the MacMini side not recognising Shift/Ctrl/Alt keys in the current Synergy+ version though (1.3.5 RC)
    so i stick to some older build on the Mac side currently....

9. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    is new mac mini on yosemite?How much ram i need to making ios games?4gb?

10. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Another Mac Mini vote here.

We work as much as we can on Windows and I periodically make device builds on OSX. Only time I am really working in xcode is when I am implementing stuff like Game Center or fixing device specific bugs (generally shaders - OSX and iOS are more strict about glsl). I find it much faster to just work on a windows version and maybe once a week port my changes to the iOS and OSX versions (I find xcode to be slow to work in - to each their own though)

Anyway: Yes a Mac Mini is fine. Don't expect the simulator to be much use though.

11. Endos

Endos Active Member

+1

It's slow even in my Mac Pro, so go figure... :)

12. Shaun C

Shaun C Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 28, 2014
    I'm still using my poor old 2010 mac mini. Gets the job done, but I did upgrade the ram to 8gb a long time ago. Would not like to go back to using 2gb.

13. megaderek

megaderek Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Software and Games Developer
    Adelaide, Australia
    I have a Mac Mini 2011 (Intel GPU), it runs Xcode and most applications OK. Xcode running / debugging is fine. Emulation of my apps is a bit slower than on a device though I think because of the amount of 3D involved in them. The emulator is not so important for me though because I run on the real device most of the time.

14. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Pretty much always run on device no matter what.

15. ip4weather

Nov 13, 2012
    how much ram i need for ios development?4gb or 8gb?

16. Mr Qwak

Mr Qwak Well-Known Member

May 23, 2010
    Still using my 2009 Mac Mini (added a SSD and upgraded to 8GB). Seems perfectly up to the job. Just be careful with the new Mac Mini's as I don't think you can upgrade them..

17. ip4weather

Nov 13, 2012
    what about macbook pro?what model?what graphic card and ram?

18. sfjohansson

sfjohansson Well-Known Member

May 17, 2014
    Male
    Game Developer
    London
  19. Shaun C

Shaun C Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 28, 2014
    Just aim for whatever you're comfortable paying. Even the lower specced models are going to be up to the task. Having said that, I'd shoot for at least 8gb (ie, anything but the old 4gb non-retina model), and I'd probably go for the 15" screen.

20. greggtwep16

greggtwep16 Active Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Indie Game Developer
    Chicago
    +1 for using a Mac mini for development.