Is Shilling an acceptable marketing strategy

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by SarcasticGamer, Jan 28, 2010.

?

Is Shilling a valid marketing tool?

Poll closed Mar 19, 2010.
  1. Yes, it is a valid marketing tool

14 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. No, I stand against this sort of marketing

96 vote(s)
    74.4%
  3. I don't care as long as I enjoy the game.

19 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    oh common, are you saying the economy is not gonna straighten out soon? Obama just made another "great speech" tonight. That alone will make the economy better, especially while we watch him go on vacation to Hawaii every week. Just hold your breath for another 3 years.

2. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

#62 ScottColbert, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    You can't fix in one year what it took 8 to create.

I'm not interested in debating politics in this thread; my point was in a bad economy, discretionary income is scarce, and people will do whatever it takes to make a buck-hence the increase in shilling.

3. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    lol that excuse is getting old.

4. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

#64 ScottColbert, Jan 28, 2010
    May be old, but it's true. Hell, it took Bill Clinton his entire first term to undo 12 years of Reagan/Bush. We had a surplus and a balanced budget by the time he left office. Dubya wiped that all away in his first year, and that was before 9/11.

Now if you want to debate this in another thread feel free, but I'm not going to continue hijacking this one.

Read this if you don't believe me. http://www.americanprogressaction.org/issues/2004/manage_economy.html

5. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    yeah offtopic and just a joke about the fact that Obama is all talk with no real plan. Reagan? common that was a great president. 80's were free and fun. Much funner than now. Bush 1 I don't like either.

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Ugh don't talk about Obama..

7. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Actually, if your refering to George Bush, this has little to do with him. I worked in the mortgage industry(ground zero) when this was unraveling. This is all on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. They are the baby of Congress and no one there has done a thing to fix it.

Anyway, I don't think this will stop when the economy improves. I'm starting to think that this is a tactic that's taught to marketing students.

8. freedog

Mar 11, 2009
    Fannie and Freddy Mac ran by liberals. Basically the same libs who screwed up congress when in control of congress from 06-08 and tried to blame Bush for everything.

9. SarcasticGamer

SarcasticGamer Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    Exactly, I talked to nephew about the aspects of shilling and it seems like they are being taught to shill in marketing school, it's called viral marketing.

10. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    That's just sad. Why pay for that when one year at a used car lot should teach you all you will need?

11. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    How many of 'us' Really READ the iTunes reviews before we buy a game?

I look up to the TAers, & if I carve for the game.... I get it.
    With the kind of visibility that Devs get with the crappy top 100 only listed amongst the sea of 140000+ apps.... getting visibility is what devs want.

On the other hand as there are over 250 million iphones and ipod touches sold out...
    TA has only 38,889 - Members, out of which there are only 7,605 Active Members, there are surely way too many lurkers (how would we had missed SO many Promo codes otherwise?) however not even HALF the owners kno if there is Touch Arcade... Right?

The shilling helps the devs sell their brain child to THE difference.
    :)

iThink U get the picture? :cool:

Again... I voted for <I don't care as long as I enjoy the game.>

12. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    #72 tblrsa, Jan 28, 2010
    Well, SarcasticGamer, i generally think that you are taking yourself way too important, but that´s just my personal opinion.

As for the shilling thing, i won´t support it. As Michael Scott´s penetrant posts in the GTA thread showed, this tactic will backfire. (and everyone with half a brain cell could have predicted that) I´m not buying the game he´s promoting in his signature, a game at which i otherwise might have taken a look at.

And yeah, did you never hear about viral marketing? Even big companys do it, that doesn´t mean it´s a fair way to thread potential customers though.

13. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    As a gamer I really don't care if the the Dev(s) are shilling or not. I get as much info as possible for me to feel comfortable about a game from just about everywhere I possibly can then make my decision. If thats the way they want to market there game(s) then so be it. It does bother me a bit when shilling is unnecessarily done in a thread that doesn't pertain to that topic.

As long as I, as a gamer personally enjoy my investment then I really can care less about anything else from that point. I think anyone with enough common sense can see through the smoke and mirrors of shilling. :rolleyes:

14. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    I agree that big devs are also capable of shilling that is why I take Sony as an example, I mentioned viral marketing twice in this thread already so yes I already heard of it.

15. MichaelScott

MichaelScott Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Gameloft was shilling the AppStore after the misfired mc multiple player.

16. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I agree with Big Albie, and after reading I feel that shilling is a necessary evil to some developers. I no longer feel as pissed off with it as I do before so I voted I don't care as long as the game is good

17. zamansimba

zamansimba Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon.

Not tolerating shills.

18. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Yeah, but shills are everywhere and part of Marketing 101 :eek:

19. SarcasticGamer

Jul 5, 2009
    NYC
    #79 SarcasticGamer, Jan 28, 2010
    Ok, I been making some research about shilling and it seems that at best, it could increase purchases within a specific small subset, and hopefully stir at least some word of mouth BUT At worst, it can cause extremely negative perception of both the company and the product as a whole. The art of shilling is in masking the shill from the consumers, that takes actual marketing skills to achieve. Apparently companies pays good money to certain marketing firms for the very purpose of profesional shilling, would you be outrage if someone tells you that record success of Call of Duty 2 was a product of a very succesfull profesional shilling? And are we shilled into thinking that Avatar is a good movie?

20. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Shilling pulls in the fools who weren't smart enough to get their info from reliable sources, it doesn't really affect me considering I have you guys :)

It's not a very honest way to do business, but it's nothing to do with me, so I can take it or leave it.