Is the DS more powerful than the iPhone 3G/Touch 2G?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Twazzock, Oct 18, 2009.

1. yea but still DS sold around 112 million and idevices still playing catch up around 40 million I think. Performance wise obviously it should be better since it came out later than DS.

I have two idevices and three DS's.

2. mrchennyken

mrchennyken Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    Performance? iPhone/iPod Touch

Games? DSi no questions about it.

3. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    I find to be quite funny (or sad?) that the iPhone being a more powerful device than the DS still doesn't have anything that looks as beautiful as something like this:

[​IMG]

But then again that's a game developed by Nintendo. It's kinda unfair to compare them to other developers, specially the ones working for the iPhone because they are leagues above them.

4. Aspargusman

Aspargusman Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    the ds is running out of ideas now, eg. camera, wifi, just like the iphone and ipotches.
    the iPod is way better

5. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
  6. lng0004

lng0004 Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2009
    #26 lng0004, Oct 21, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
    Since when is the PSP2 comparable to an xbox360/ps3?

The reasons why DS games are still better:
    1. Prices: DS games are sold for $20-30 vs iDevices' $1-10. iDevs are more inclined to push out as many games as they can.
    2. The DS is a gaming device at heart, the iDevices aren't. Until Apple ditch the name iPod and get their own line of gaming handhelda (iPad anyone? :p) we won't see DS quality games, not often anyway.

7. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Sony's always used pie in the sky numbers, tbqh.

The SGX can also pull off effects that the GPU in PSP cannot. Shaders, lighting effects, etc.

SGX beats the PSP GPU.

But, again, due to iPhone's background operations, the power can't be utilized to fullest effect.

8. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I'd say the iDevices coz, the others cannot run this BIG array off apps on them... yet.
    I agree tht the app store is filled with flashlights & fart apps, but there is something for everyone.

if you are talking about the brawn (Just hardware) & no brain (Just software)
    I cannot tell :eek:

You could get in a zune hd for the poll, it has so much brawn, but flawd brains.

9. jase23

jase23 Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    It seems to me that the PSP is still capable of better graphics than the latest iDevice, judging by the best looking games on the PSP. And the difference is not so much the CPU as it is the graphics card. Maybe when Apple releases the next generation of iDevice with custom chips by PA Semi they will finally surpass the PSP.

10. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

That may be true of older gen devices, specifically due to RAM and background processes. The 3GS and 3rd gen Touch should be significantly more capable than the PSP, but they've only been out for 3 or 4 months. It takes time and money to develop a new engine fully optimised for the new capabilities offered by OpenGL ES 2.0. I expect that soon we will start to see more and more games better utilising 3gs capabilities, whilst scaling down to older hardware. In fact 2 come to mind right away: Eliminate and Warp Gate.

11. kaokien

kaokien Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Keeping your girlfriend company
    Add iKaokien GameCenter
    considering how the iphone 3gs came out in 2009 and the psp was released in 2004 its amazing how its still powerful. Imo the psp>3gs because of the high quality game remeber the iphone is not a gaming system its just a "smart" fone.