iShoot Developer Quits Day Job

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by arn, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    #61 Little White Bear Studios, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
    With no experience, it's going to be tough. You need to learn basic C first, in my opinion. I don't know of any specific books, but perhaps someone here will know of some. To keep your interest up, I suggest watching tutorial videos that interest you. If you're still interested after learning a few things, then you may have what it takes to make an app. It will take work though.

2. games42

games42 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    What about if I use Unity? Is that recommended and won't that cut out alot of what I need to learn?

3. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    From what I've heard, Unity and Torque are scripting engines that will do alot of work for you. But I really don't have any specific knowledge about them. Maybe someone else in the thread, or in the forums knows more. But yes, you can make games with them. You may be able to download demo copies to play with.

4. mrkgoo

mrkgoo Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2008
    Little White Bear Studios: I haven't tried your lite version (I prefer to just get the real deal), so I don't know how it works, but at the end of it, does it have a splash screen advertising the full version? This may alleviate those emails concerning 'too short a game'. Something on the lines of: "Do you want more? Download the full version which has 414 puzzles! *link*". You know, like how console games do it.

Speaking of which, I think the success of iShoot Lite is the balance of what is included. It's probably just enough to whet appetites, but the game itself has that X-factor that makes people want more. I find console game demos do more to turn me off purchasing.

Ethan: Congrats on your success - Wow, I'm really happy for you! (I was wishing you well in another thread somewhere). Seems like a dream. I was going to say that knowing the developer can work on this full time, makes me want to buy it more (the only reason I haven't is that I have to limit myself, seeing as I have bought 7 Cities and haven't even played it yet). I will some day, as I love scorched Earth. Now I can tell you directly! Knowing that other improvements such as online or whatever is drool-worthy. Knowing that you post on this board and can keep up the hype will undoubtedly score well with people here. Consumers (especially Apple consumers) love to see the developers have a face. Participating in the community here will keep the app live on the boards for a while, which will hopefully maintain the momentum in the store for weeks ahead.

I think that's the thing, for whatever reason it is a hit, once you have that slight push, momentum from the consumers will drive it on. And the genius is, you still have room to drop the price to boost sales! (Don't do it too soon though, because that kicks up a stink, and makes people resent purchase, or suspect it will drop further). I think frequent sales of apps makes some people simply wait for another sale. Well, whatever it is you;re doing, it must be right.

Congrats!

5. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Yep, when they complete the sample puzzles, it pops up a message telling them about the full version, with a "buy" button that leads directly to the game on the App Store. There's also a "buy" button on the Info screen. So yeah, even with all that, I get emails. :rolleyes:

6. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    I quit my job before my first app even went on sale! It was risky but has paid off.

Some stats, from November to today:

875,000 downloads for iFishing Lite
    500,000 downloads for Blue Skies Lite
    43000 sales of iFishing
    26000 sales of Blue Skies (has been out since September so this is not total sales)

I now have 5 apps in the store and pull in about $1500-2000/day. For December and January so far I'm getting 90k. I was only getting 60k/year at my old job.

I think it's easy to get excited when your app sells quickly. The real test will be to see if it can continue bringing in decent sales for the rest of the year.

The lite versions have definitely helped. It's much cheaper than paying for google ads per click. If your app is 99c then the cost per click for an ad could be more than that. I get a few emails about basic iphone things too, like how to delete apps.

7. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    If he stays at no. 1 for 5 weeks he'll have made over a million dollars!
    I wonder how much he gets from the other appstores...

8. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Wow congrats, I'm impressed, it's stories like this that are making me get back into programming and hopefully making some as well. Seriously you deserve it and I hope it continues to go good for you...

9. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Very impressive numbers! I'm glad it's worked out for you, and I hope you have continued success!

10. Vende

Vende Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    It's amazing what the apps store is doing for entrepenuers, almost like a dotcom 2.0. My nephew is pretty good with computers and he is now trying to figure out if he has the know-how to create an application. The kid's in high school so he obviously doesn't have much money to put into the project but hey, if a high schooler can make Scifly, then there is certainly precedent for young success.

11. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    As long as you have an Intel Mac, money really doesn't have to be much of an issue. Minus a cheap Mac, the cost of my game was about $150.

12. PoV

PoV Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2008
    London, Ontario, Canada
    #72 PoV, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    Yowza! Nice stats.

13. Manta Research

Manta Research Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I've gotta agree with LWB. In this particular case, it's a simple decision because he made $200k in 1 week (WOW!), and being at number 1 for this long, it's likely he will bring in around $500k by the end of the year. Given his circumstances, it's a no brainer.

However, if you're already making a comfortable $150-200k+, have been with the job for many years, have a wife+kids, mortgage/cars, and are the sole provider, then the decision is not that simple. If I made $100k in 1 month based on 1 app, I might be tempted to quit, but I wouldn't. It's all about sustainability. On the App Store, with a single title, you can make $50k in one month and $5k the next month (and it usually only goes downhill from there). You can't do any kind of serious financial planning when it's such a roller coaster.

Having multiple apps out helps diversify the risk, but the point is that coming up with a "iShoot" or a "Koi Pond" depends a lot on luck and timing and many other factors, and it's very difficult to replicate this. Look at the chopper guy (David Frampton) for example and his followup "duck duck duck" after he quit to work on this full time. Even in the cases where you have an established studio and have made a boatload of money like Brian Greenstone/Pangea, there's no guarantee that your next release will be a huge success (eg. antimatter)

If I were making $30-40k a month CONSISTENTLY with multiple titles, I would be much more inclined to quit my job, then if I made $200k in one week with a single title. Again, a lot of factors play into this. If I were 25 and single and making $70k at a job that I'd only been at for 1-2 years then the decision would be completely different.

14. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to say. :)

15. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I really like the article on the main page of TA. Thanks for writing that up Blake :)

16. bootant

bootant Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Junior Designer, Senior Coder, CTO, CEO, Chairman
  17. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Congrats Ethan! Your decision makes perfect sense to me. I'm really surprised by the reactions here too.

18. Birdsoft

Birdsoft Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Developer
    Wisconsin
    #78 Birdsoft, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
    Nice job Ethan... I left my day job years ago, I cant believe that most are saying that they need more than that. Its ridiculious unless they really have a sweet setup work wise...!

Im struggling along right now,the Windows Mobile market fell out a bit because of some little shiny phone and its AppStore, but have a lot of IP from those other mobile platforms and am hoping I can get a solid catalog to even get half the success that some here are experiencing....

(Actually, if any of you need a contract developer on a project... hook me up... :) )

Its still one of the best thing I have ever done...

19. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    #79 jonaswills, Jan 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
    Heh 3 out of 4 members of Team Phobic left their jobs to start our company... big risk but it is what we have wanted to do for as long as we can all remember. It is much more rewarding creating your own job then working for some company. I'm the only member who has a "real" job, I do consulting and it pays the bills... plus the extra I invest in our company till we are more self sustaining.

People could very well sustain themselves by having a few GOOD apps out there... we are doing okay with just two but it certainly is tough. It is a little frustrating though to see apps made in a few days or weeks make way way way more then something a whole team makes in two months, but we are also building a brand name and don't ever have to rely on luck for our apps to sell, not to say we wouldn't mind getting lucky :-D

Best of luck to you Ethan! (edit: not trying to say your app made #1 just through luck, I haven't tried it yet, I really mean good luck with your new job :-D)

20. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Some of us do, yes. Been working there ten years. 200k is not very much after all the taxes, medical, retirement, etc. that I'd have to pay. It's inconsistent income, which is not a chance I can take, with a wife and three kids. But yes, I'm sure everyone has a price that will make them comfortable. More power to him, but personally, I'd have to see sustained sales before making such a decision.