JCho's Sci-Fi Game Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JCho133, Mar 10, 2014.

1. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #21 JCho133, Mar 13, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    Well Star Wars KOTOR of course

Then Exiles: Far Colony when it releases this summer.

Meltdown has lite RPG mechanics too, same with EPOCH & EPOCH 2

Not much else on the AppStore

2. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I don't think I saw Tiny Trek on your list, pretty sure you're aware of it though as I think I've seen you mention it. Probably my pick of all the upcoming sci-fi games!

3. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Any devs reading this please make an epic 150 hour sci-fi RPG based on the work of British sc-fi writer Peter Hamilton. Any sci-fi fan here who like epic space-opera should check his work. It's outstanding.

Edit : Peter F Hamilton

4. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Aw damnit! How did I forget haha... Worst part is that I talked to the TinyTrek Dev last night...

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Infinity Blade trilogy
    Nameless: The Hackers
    Chrono Trigger
    KOTOR
    Deus Ex The Fall
    Out There
    Chrome Wolf
    Aeon Avenger

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I wouldn't really consider Out There an RPG

Infinity Blade definitely has sci-fi elements, but has much more in common wih a Fantasy RPG

And yes definitely Deus Ex, I can't believe I forgot about that

7. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Star Horizon needs to be on the list. ;)

8. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    It has been from the start, my good sir ;)

9. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Dang it really is good to see 2014 be a good start off for sci fi games.

I still cant shake the mech riding scene in Exiles off my mind, it's just too awesome. Not the mech design i was thinking about (i was thinking of a more generic type of mech design), but uber awesome nonetheless.

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    At first glance it is like a fantasy game, but the game opens up to be one whole sci-fi mess.

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    But I mean, in terms of gameplay, mechanics, equipment, feel, etc., it's more of a fantasy game. But it is undoubtedly in a sci-fi backdrop/world.

Like of someone asked "What's a great sci fi game on iOS?" I doubt that IB3 would be one of your first thoughts, or what they were looking for. You catchin my drift?

It's about swords, shields, magic rings, and demons, rather than laser swords (although it does have 3), laser guns, jetpacks, and space.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If it's in a scifi world (especially the one in IB), no matter how swords and magic it is, it would be sci fi.

13. ijardine

ijardine Active Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Meg rvo

Will be pretty hard core sic-fi... just working on proof of concept right now :)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/meg-rvo/id697219218?ls=1&mt=8

Retina only right now, iPad2 support with 2.6.5 in a few weeks..and we will have some news at PAX in April :)

===
    In MEG: RVO, a sinister corporate entity known as Slate Kinetic is training remote vehicle operators, (RVOs) to explore alternate worlds. As an RVO, you can join campaigns and compete with other players using combat vehicles known as rigs. Make the best use of terrain, allies, and available assets to gain control of strategic locations within the simulated environment. This earns you SKN, Slate’s company currency, which you can use to access various rig types, weapons, armors, and defensive systems in the Slate Marketplace. Your rig can be customized to any style of play, and what you take into combat is up to you. Use your robotic MEG Unit to deploy defenses and retrieve salvage from defeated foes. Gain combat experience to unlock more powerful equipment.
    ===

14. DarkScience

DarkScience Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    This sounds like the perfect place to ask my question!

I'm looking for a game (if one exists) that's a space fleet command type game. Where u assign ships to the battle, then send them in group by group, bit of micro management kind of thing! A bit like C&C red alert but in space!

I saw gratuitous space battles looks good but once it starts you have no control of the outcome? I want to be able to react as things unfold.

I played a game like this on the PC years ago but can't remember what it was called? Any none got any ideas?

Massive sci if fan by the way, fav genre of both game and film!!

15. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Tactical Space Command
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tactical-space-command/id701685884?mt=8

Also a lite version:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tactical-space-command-lite/id834195396?mt=8

16. DarkScience

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    I'll defo give the lite version a try, but it looks a little too much like a radar with dots rather than actual ships battling, from what I could see on you tube. Any other ideas?

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
  18. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    It might be, technically, but perhaps not in the sense that someone specifically seeking out sci-fi might be satisfied with. I wouldn't, for example, want to watch a Star Wars movie if I were explicitly in the mood for sci-fi, whereas I'd want to watch Blade Runner. Similarly, Final Fantasy 4 wouldn't scratch the same itch as Phantasy Star 4 would even if both involve space travel. I think sci-fi draws more on a setting that is vaguely derivative technologically to what we are familiar with. In the IB series, you have a fantasy setting that is, within the context of the game story, conceived to be a fantasy setting by way of technology that remains present, but does so in an anachronistic manner. It's kind of an interesting example because the game The Worker conceived is a fantasy even if he's really more of a sci-fi character himself.

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    ^^Exactly

20. DarkScience

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    Thanks for the pointers guys galactic conflict looks pretty perfect!!

I keep hoping someone does an xwing vs tie fighter port, or something similar too.

I want to be able to fly up to a large ship and adjust my ships trajectory so that I can fly along the length of the big ship, I mean be able to rotate my ship on both axis, not just go left right up and down, like most modern flyers allow: GOF, arc squadron etc.

Anyone know what I'm going in about? I can't see to find a single game that allows this...