JCho's Sci-Fi Game Thread

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by JCho133, Mar 10, 2014.

1. DarkScience

DarkScience Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    Just looked it up, it was homeworld by relic I think I played. Back in the day. Not made it's way to ios yet, can't even find it on steam!!

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #42 JCho133, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
    I'm pretty sure Gearbox is working on a new Homeworld game, so you're in luck ;)

3. DarkScience

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    Really, sweet! Would that be ios or PC based?

4. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    #44 CzechCongo, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    I absolutely know what you mean, three-axis movement. Say, for instance, tilt vertically pitches up/down, tilt horizontally rolls clockwise/ccw, with onscreen buttons for slewing left and right. Nothing comes to mind for iOS...

Edit: that is scifi that is. Sky Gamblers has a number of good 3d control schemes.

5. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    I think Glorkian Warrior counts as Sci-Fi!

6. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Nah, the Dev is kind of an a-hole so I didn't include it.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    What made this seemingly "fantasy" game a lot more interesting is when you find out that the world was "reset" using a bomb, that the rebirths are effects of science, that the rings only activate to the ones with the correct QIP, and that the Aegis Forms which forces melee combat was merely a means to control those who would oppose the new system put up by the deathless.

The "fantasy world" was just a part of the plot of the deathless to enforce their control.

Only the first IB was more fantasy than sci fi, coz the sci fi was more a spoiler in the ending. On the second and third games, the sci fi was a lot clearer, and reading the books strengthen that even more.

This reveal of the science ficton part of the setting and the plot is what makes the Infinity Blade universe an interesting one, rather than just another generic fantasy setting.

Kinda similar to how impactful the ending was for the movie Dark City, also similar to how the old movie Westworld was unfolded. Dark City was just a noir film til all was revealed, and the movie made sense why it was put on the sci-fi section, same with Westworld being another cowboy film on the sci-fi shelves.

Sure the IB franchise may seem to be all fantasy, but in its core it is all sci-fi.

8. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    Ouch.

Usually comedy sci-fi gets left out anyhow.

9. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Hahah I'm kidding!

It definitely deserves to be up there!

10. DarkScience

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    Just found freespace 2 online, that us exactly what I am looking for! Wonder if it will ever get a port? I'm trying to download it somehow on my mac, it's aged pretty well actually!

11. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Every check out the absolutely fantastic CLARC right now. An awesome sci-fi isometric action puzzle game.

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Groundskeeper 2 is coming April 9th, which has a big robot in it! Sci-fi enough for me :p

Just can't wait for the Sci-fi heroes of loot that orangepixel is gonna make after he gets groundskeeper 2 out there

13. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    We just got the awesome sci-fi RPG Shattered Planet, and now FTL is coming on the 9th :D

14. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    #54 smegly, Mar 28, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    I'm not saying it's not sci-fi, just that that isn't the dominant flavor and its inclusion opens up the candidacy of any sort of fantasy that involves advanced technology in some capacity. Clearly we both understand the story, so there's no point dragging out the semantics of what it represented. If the actual focus had been on the end of the previous world before the purge with "Mr. Galeth" and all that, then this would be a different matter.

From a literary perspective, and it's true this has changed, a lot of early science fiction writers didn't label everything they did as science fiction. Science fiction had additional theme requirements over something that is simply a fantasy with a technological angle. It's also not so simple as futuristic stuff; a story about the middle ages that involved 19th century technology would be entirely non-futuristic to us, but could easily be sci-fi.

15. CzechCongo

CzechCongo Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Freespace (+ expansion) is on sale for windows and Mac this weekend on GOG.com for $2.99. Freespace 2 (windows only) for $4.99.

16. DarkScience

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    No way! I so nearly got this the other day, glad I didn't now! Currently downloaded, nex step get those mods downloaded to bring its graphics up to date!

Cheers for the heads up, GOG is a gem of a site!!

17. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    I forgot about Space Noir, which is coming in May I believe? That looks fantastic, from the Devs of Deus Ex: The Fall (another great sci fi game) and Air Mail

Also, Hodappy Bird seems to be infused with bizarre alien technology, so I think it fits here.

18. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    A cute, sci-fi themed competitive TBS called UFHO2 should be releasing tonight

19. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    #59 JCho133, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    The game I have dreamed of for centuries.

Anyone notice how Interstellar Accord Protocols is IAPs? Haha

20. DarkScience

Sep 5, 2013
    Company Director
    Kent, UK
    Wow this looks too good to be true!!!