Universal Jet Car Stunts 2 - (by True Axis)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 1, 2014.

1. NinthNinja

NinthNinja Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2011
    The game actually supports the new game controllers for an alternative to tilt.

I remember when we made the original, we spent a lot of time fine tuning the tilt controls. We actually surprised a lot of people on how responsive they were and a lot of reviewers commented on this... If tilt is done right then it works in a natural way. The trouble is most developers get it wrong and give a wrong perception to users on what these devices are capable of for using them for control.

And without tilt Jet Car Stunts would be not half the game it became to be known as. For people in doubt about this just ask the people that played the original game, most would say they can make that car do anything and if they crash they will blame themselves and not the controls. So I would say download the app and give it a chance - after all it's free and you have nothing to lose... And you may actually like the controls.

2. PresidentZer0

PresidentZer0 Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2012
    Thats cool but i dont feel like purchasing a 100€ controller to avoid tilt... there is no reason not to have touch steering.

3. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    I'm afraid touch steering would not work for this game for 2 reasons.

1. We have 4 buttons on the screen for accelerate, brake, jet, and handbrake/in air brakes.

2. We actually use tilt to an extent when the car is in the air for climbing, descending, and in air steering, plus normal steer.

There's no way on earth you could do all those control variations without tilt or game controllers.

As I said the game is free so you have nothing to lose :) Or put it another way, the original game was released in 2009 and it still sells in 2014... If the controls sucked then I would doubt that the game would be selling for such a long time.

4. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Is there an option for reconfiguring the onscreen buttons and UI? It feels really cluttered. There is so much going on in the environment that the on screen buttons and green reticule thing make it even busier than necessary. Looks fantastic otherwise.

5. Gotoma

Gotoma Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Tilting a 10"iPad is just ridiculous...

6. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    You are correct, the original JCS got it right with the tilt steering. That game just felt like a natural for the iDevice.

7. Looking forward to trying this, let's see how it compares to the first game.

8. NinthNinja

Jan 31, 2011
    Can I ask you a question... Have you actually played the game on an iPad? The reason I ask is because the controls are designed in such a way that you only tilt in little movements... In other words the controls are very tight and it just takes very little effort to control the car.

As I keep saying it's free so you have nothing to lose... Or just become a doubting Thomas and never experience things without trying or giving something a chance.

9. takaya

takaya Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    As well as some comments...

10. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Thanks Bronxsta and Sanuku for the IAP explanation. Will be buying tonight. Totally loved the first and coming from a "non-tilt" lover.

11. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Any impressions on the game? So far just a bunch of whining about the controls. As the man said, it's free to download so why whine about it before you try it. And if you're having problems tilting a 10" ipad then I'd say its time to put the ipad down and hit the weights.

12. luketrueaxis

luketrueaxis Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Game Development (Managing Director of True Axis)
    Melbourne, Australia
    I had totally forgotten that some people are biased against tilt controls. We got a few complaints when we originally released JCS1 as well, and we even considered added a touch control option, which might be possible with some hud re-arrangement, even if it sounds a little clunky to us, however, people stopped making touch control requests soon after the initial launch, so we stopped thinking about it.

We get a lot more requests that True Skate have tilt steering then JCS have touch steering. I still get requests for that.

13. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

I know, right? I guess it was kind of expected though.

Been waiting for this game for a long time, I'll be downloading and buying the full unlock the moment it launches in the US, so I'm interested in the impressions as well.

14. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Watching the first few levels in Sanuku's video, it looks like you can pass through checkpoints, can't crash into them anymore?

15. luketrueaxis

luketrueaxis Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    Game Development (Managing Director of True Axis)
    Melbourne, Australia
    That is how easy mode works. It is the same as casual mode on JCS1, on medium and hard, you will crash into them. Hard mode also has a more difficult track for platforming and time trial modes.

16. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Ha! Agreed ;)

Anyway, I'll certainly be picking this up and unlocking all content. Level editor..are you kidding me? I've got to have that and user submitted tracks..this could turn out to be 2014 GOTY.

17. josh_ando

josh_ando Member

Dec 13, 2013
    Does this support iOS 7 controllers? Awesome game BTW

18. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Wouldn't want anything other than tilt controls for this game. Touch controls would be way too chaotic and the first game had the tilt down to flawless perfection. Can't wait to buy the full version IAP tonight. Still wanna know if there are achievements via Game Center. I remember going for all of them previously in Openfeint, and hope they are available for the new game now with GC...

19. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Any chance of an update for JCS 1 to implement GameCenter and remove the now defunct OpenFeint?

20. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    No need to be ridiculous. No one needs to lift weights just to hold and tilt a 5-600 gram ipad. It's just not comfortable. And no amount of weightlifting is going to change that fact.

That said, touch controls for this game will be useless too. There's too much to control on screen already to add touch buttons as well. Maybe with an on screen joystick on the left side and the rest of the buttons on the right, you might be able to get it to work. But I doubt it'll be much better than tilting the device, even a 10" one.