Universal Jet Set Radio - (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 28, 2012.

1. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    So, what devices are officially supported? Didn't see a mention in the description.

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Well, I played through the training levels pretty easily. The only task I had to repeat was due to skating off the ledge during the Tab mission where you have to swipe to paint... which I remember doing during the DC version back in the day.

Overall controls are decent. I'll start the regular levels and stuff next... but so far I'm VERY happy with the final game thus far.

As for all the folks bringing up the Vita... if you have one.. maybe that's the way to go for at twice the price. I don't own a Vita let alone it's massively overpriced memory cards and tiny library... but... such is life. I carry my iPhone with me everywhere... it's great to have this game with me without needing yet another system. That's a big reason why I decided to go iOS for my current gaming needs. That, and the price of games. This plays perfectly fine on my iPhone 4S.

3. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Well, FWIW, even though I think I'll get better at the virtual controls and it is just amazing to have JSR in my pocket at all times, this is one of the games that makes me wish I had a Vita because of the physical controls.

4. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    The vita library is so tiny... I think if I wanted to play this on something else, I'd go for either the Dreamcast original with a VGA box or the PS3/360 ports.

5. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Plays on touch 4g no problems

6. fenderbendr

fenderbendr Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Better than crazy taxi?

7. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I dunno, but it's there in the US store. I got it.

8. I think so. I haven't seen the game slow down whatsoever whilst I was playing this, yet Crazy Taxi seems to go really slowly in the menus and when I'm changing volume in game. Also, sometimes Crazy Taxi crashes before you get to the charachter selection screen, but I haven't got any crashes

9. salsamd

salsamd Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 1, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    #89 salsamd, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  10. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Ok, I played through the first regular level in the game. I think the controls are pretty much on par with the dreamcast. As for spray painting on the bigger canvases around town, I had no issues at all other than sometimes drawing a little too close to the top of the screen and engaging the notifications pane to show it's little grab tab thing. My tips on painting? draw clearly in the center of the screen. It seems to work like the DC version as well that you can just pretend you still have an analog stick with your left thumb and do the motions that way... but I had pretty much 100% success just using the center of the screen. Keep in mind I played the heck out of the original... so the painting bit I actually find a bit easier here.

I can tell though I'm going to have to get comfortable with centering the camera often. That seems to be my biggest issue though I did finish the first level without getting caught.

11. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I played the first level on the iPad with Gum and apart from moving around being a bit more difficult I felt that the graffiti was much harder to do than on the iPhone with Beat. Of course Gum has harder graffiti, so maybe it's that, but I had no problems with the graffiti in the three levels I played on the phone with Beat at all. Anyone have any tips for the iPad?

Nightc1, let us know if you unlock Garam. The last Garam challenge is the first point in the game where I'm having trouble and I'm curious if you still find that easy (and if so if you have any tips).

12. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Will do. I was already planning to put some serious time in with the game tonight.

I may mess around with the controls some too and see where maybe folks are having issues.

13. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    I'm thoroughly enjoying this. Admitted its early days but as long as you're pressing the right direction on the stick as you execute a button press the controls seem precise. I know that the lack of feedback from touch controls makes this less precise than with a physical controller but im reasonably successful and enjoying so far.

This thread led me to believe that the controls were worse than I'm actually finding them. That's basically what I wanted to get across.

I feel like I'll actually be putting some time in to this rather than playing x times and deleting once the novelty wears off (the curse of the iPhone gamer !)

14. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    It doesn't cost $40.

But nice trolling.

15. heavy liquid

heavy liquid Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    #95 heavy liquid, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    whoops

16. tonyatf

tonyatf Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    Cambridge
    I have to agree with the poor sony. not that i believe the game is 40 on vita, its not, but having this game among others on my iphone makes me want a vita even less.

17. Estupendo1

Estupendo1 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2012
    Thank you.

I find touch controls are fine so long as they are basically designed well, then it's a question of adapting over time: fifa10 controls I ended up mastering to almost complete control and knowing the "likelihood" of risk required to pull of a move based on control mastery vs sliding scale of context lol.

I was waiting to hear this (reviews are taking an age!) so I am now downloading. :)

18. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
  19. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Didn't get as much time to game last night as I wanted. It'll probably be later this weekend when I put enough time in to catch up to others looking for tips/feedback.

Of the bit I did play last night, the main issue I seem to have is the camera. But I am glad the controls don't seem to change based on the camera position... that has ruined a few games for me in the past but here if you're pressing left or something and the camera changes positions you are still going left which is nice. Controls seem decent enough still.

I do have a tip for painting... when doing multi moves on the screen, don't take your finger off. Instead complete the first move and then the second without taking your finger off the screen. This is how the DC version worked as well... you didn't recenter the joystick but instead continued the motion from one move to the next.

20. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I finally unlocked Garam but it was really hard and I am unsure if I'll be able to finish the Poison-Jam tag level in the sewers. Hopefully I'll just get better at it over time. I fell in the water so many times. It feels like when I finally did manage it was purely by accident. I didn't follow Garam here either, I jumped on another rail and then did the wall-grind, but passed anyway.