Universal Jet Set Radio - (by SEGA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Tropxe

Tropxe Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    England
    Ew, took one look at the virtual controller and decided to get this on Steam instead. iOS gaming is already a diminished experience due to the tiny screen, but horrible controls just drag it down even further - especially when they involve covering what little screen you have with your thumbs. I really wish companies like Sega and Capcom would support Bluetooth controllers.

2. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Unless my memory is failing me, that was the hardest part of the game on the Dreamcast.

The touch controls in this game are actually pretty decent. My only qualm is the camera, but they give you a button for recentering the camera as well as second analog control by just touching the screen somewhere outside of the buttons... so not as big a deal. This is one game where I haven't at all felt my thumbs were in the way. They did a solid job on that.

I'm all for Apple finally biting the bullet and releasing a bt controller for iOS devices. I'd use it when at home but use virtual controls when on the go. Best of both worlds.

3. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    Listen to this. ;) What a bunch of crap that is!

4. Gamexcb

Gamexcb Member

Jul 21, 2010
    I actually have had no problems at all with the controls.
    I have this game on steam as well.

The fact is that Jet Set is just a game that you have to learn how to control.

I feel that many who have not played it with a controller might perceive the touch controls as faulty. Really that is just the way the game is.

This may be just me but I feel as if I am doing better with the controls on iOS than the Dreamcast.

5. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I know I'm doing better on the multi pass spray painting bits. I can nail them without fault most of the time. But I'm into the second Shibuya-Cho level against Poison Jam... and the drainage pipe bit is a little harder than I remember.

6. shawnbuddy

shawnbuddy Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2012
    I'm usually fine with virtual joysticks and the like, but not here. I'm having a really hard time with this. It's too bad because everything BUT the controls is fantastic. I'm not sure, honestly, that it's just the controls. I think it's hard because the camera never kept up with the character that well. If there was a setting that would basically keep the "center the camera behind the character" button on all the time it might be easier to play. Less pretty, but more playable.

7. krisko6

krisko6 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    College Student, Intern at an engineering company.
    Bakersfield, CA
    I don't think the controls in this game are the issue, it's the weird and awkward physics. You have to be willing to ascend the steep learning curve and learn what methods for navigating different obstacles work best for you. Having never played a JSR game before, it took me several hours before I began to figure it out.

This is essentially a platformer disguised as an extreme sports game. The emphasis in on jumping and grinding, not tricking and the controls have a lot subtleties that you have to spend several hours with the game to really nail down. Once you figure it out, the game gets a lot more fun. You might have to restart several levels over again before getting them right, but the game won't be too much of a problem.

My only real complaint with JSR is the slowdown in some areas. Otherwise, this is one of the best SEGA ports to date.

8. offsafety

offsafety Member

Jul 13, 2012
    Has anyone tried makin custom graffiti? Your supposed to be able to upload ur own pic or take one but when I select a picture it freezes? Anyone ran into the same issue? I've always wanted to see custom graffiti in this game. I love JSR with a passion!

9. offsafety

offsafety Member

Jul 13, 2012
    You summed up the controls flawlessly. As someone who was just in the middle of jet ranking every level on the xbla version, I'm curious how well I can do on the iOS version

10. osvd

osvd Active Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Finished the game this morning:) actully N3 on leaderboards .. Awesome game!!!

11. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Great! Do you have any tips for precision jumping? I have no problems with the controls when I'm just skating around, but jumping from rails to rails, like in the sewers, just seems way hard. I think I might be missing something. Though perhaps that's just more practice.

12. Gamexcb

Gamexcb Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Yeah the slowdowns were suprising as no game has yet to do that with my iPhone 5.

But hey, most of the time it is wonderful.

13. 2nihon

2nihon New Member

Dec 1, 2012
    #113 2nihon, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    Game Impressions

(Repeating my App Store review here.)

Thought I'd get my five stars in quickly to counteract a) those who don't know how to install and troubleshoot iPhone applications properly and b) those who are hating on the controls.

First, graphics and sound are just as good as the new HD console versions, an impressive trick for a game that will run on my old slow 3GS. I bought this because of watching YouTube videos of someone playing it on XBLA, and to have that same experience in my hands is breathtaking.

By the way, this is *Jet Set Radio*, not the sequel *Jet Set Radio Future*. Apparently in this game, some of the same characters are named different things, but this is the same as on the consoles, so I figure we'll have to live with that.

Now, the controls...first off, they're not any worse than any other game on the iPhone that requires a virtual stick and buttons. I've never played the game on any platform until now, so I have nothing to compare it to. The virtual pad works pretty well. It takes a lot of practice, but not more than any other 3-D iOS game with virtual analog controls. If you're expecting a tactile, intuitive experience, you need to buy a console. If you want Jet Set Radio in your pocket, grab this.

How does it run on the 3GS? Not too bad. I expected a lot of slowdown, but once the game gets running and finishes loading Game Center, it's playable. The slowdown isn't really predictable, but you can minimize the occurrences by closing all background applications (double-tap Home, hold on an app icon, hit X until all icons are gone). If all background apps are closed and performance is still bad, do a force power-off (hold Power and Home until the screen turns off), then turn it back on. I plan to upgrade to a 5 for Christmas, so I won't complain about the 3GS performance: it's possible, and that makes me happy.

For the iOS experience, the developers really need to introduce a save-anywhere function: if I lock my phone, I want to pick up where I stopped, even if I'm in mid-air. Just load, do a countdown, and let's GO! I would tolerate a longer load time if that were possible. Please add this.

Overall, bravo to Sega for such a great game and to the developers for taking a daunting risk and pulling it off. Just mark down the improvements I and others have noted and introduce those and we'll be even happier.

14. BTNLegend

BTNLegend Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Canada
    I love the music. I love the graphics. I love the settings. I love the skating.

However, I was frustrated beyond belief trying to evade the police. It got to the point where I was like "Why is this so hard?!"

Sometimes it's the controls. I seriously can't get the speed I want to do a major jump in a precise angle. This makes escaping the shooting cop very difficult at times, and even annoying.

I can't for the life of me unlock Garam 'cause I can't clear the third trial. I came close several times, but I can't seem to get the timing right for him to grind on the rail where you're supposed to jump off and ride the wall. I can't get that connected!!

Anyway, my experience with the game has been satisfactory, but nothing more. I do enjoy being able to skate freely around the territory and doing crazy moves while collecting spray paint cans. The NPC's are all funny and there's a lot of entertainment to be found here. I just wish it was easier to control, so that messing up while the time expires would be less than common.

15. LanceAvion

LanceAvion Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    #115 LanceAvion, Dec 2, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
    Huh the app description says 29 of the 30 original songs are present. Which one is missing? And are there any new ones?

Also are there any plans to release Jet Set Radio Future?

16. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I think the wiki for the game lists the differences. There are some new songs. I'm not sure how many but one was from JSRF as I unlocked it early in the game. It shows the unlockable tracks in one of the menus.

17. osvd

osvd Active Member

Oct 20, 2012
    Mmm i think is just practice... Because its rlly hard for me too.. Im using an ipod4g 32gb... Its soo laggy i cant even play sometimes ... So dw u just have to get used to

18. realtalkmydude

realtalkmydude Active Member

Dec 4, 2012
    I can't believe people were saying the controls were horrible in the itunes review. I got used to the controls in tutorial mode in less than 5 minutes tbh. Game feels just as good as the Dreamcast version. And I just finished Chapter 1 so I get to use my dude Combo <3

19. Agas

Agas Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Vote for your favorite GOTW !!!

[thread=119439][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=168149][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168121][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168128][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168133][​IMG][/thread] [thread=167866][​IMG][/thread]
    [thread=168158][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168119][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168143][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168395][​IMG][/thread] [thread=168113][​IMG][/thread]
    Click on icons to discover more about the games!

[size=+3]JET SET RADIO[/size]
    is a nominee for
    [size=+2]Touch Arcade Game of the Week
    28/11/2012
    [/size]

Do you like to fight to control Tokyo-to?

[size=+3][thread=168267]VOTE HERE[/thread][/size]
    - Devs cannot vote for their own games -

Poll close
    12-06-2012 at 07:13 PM

20. BTNLegend

BTNLegend Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Canada
    Oh my god! I finally cleared the third trial for Garam. I don't know how I managed to finally pull it off, but I did it completely. It's cool that I have Garam now, but all the levels are so difficult -_- including Benten (first stage). The cops go overboard in this, and some of the tougher graffiti are always at the top of buildings.