Joan Mad Run – Bloody indie scroll shooter for pixel lovers.

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Happybyte, Jul 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#61 Bronxsta, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
    New info! All the weapons sound awesome. Any time frame on the next build?

My ideas:
    - Swarm cannon - unleashes a nanobot swarm that devours enemies, alt fire could convert devoured enemies to health (amount of health depends on how many enemies devoured). Or instead of having a shield gun, the swarm alt fire would act as a shield
    - Power gauntlets (armored gloves) - one punch obliterate enemies, could hold to charge punch, alt fire could be a shockwave clap that causes enemies' heads to explode and maybe could temporarily disable traps (saw blades stop spinning, lasers turn off, etc.)
    - Orbital laser - disintegrates enemies to a skeleton, then to ash.
    - Flame thrower
    - Shield gun like from the game Fuse (here's a video, first 30 seconds) - Could catch bullets, alt fire would shoot caught bullets back
    - Harpoon gun or crossbow, not sure what the alt fire would be. Maybe the bolts/harpoons could explode

2. Vandita

Vandita Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Lahti, Finland
    #62 Vandita, Aug 17, 2013
    What are you planning to have as the "goal" on this gane? Is it just certain lenght level and you need to make it alive? Will it have the typical iOS 3 star rating on every level? Is there going be some sort of story on the game?

Anyway, I'm super excited about the game and it's future betas! When'd you think the next beta's gonna come anywho? :)

3. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    #63 Happybyte, Aug 17, 2013
    Those who did miss the new bunch of screenshots on the previous page please have a look.

Thanks :) So, far Joan seems to become the most fun game we ever made.

That isn't just a weapon variety. We are implementing a kill or weapon effects variety as well. It's so boring with so much other games which have several weapons, yet kills are always mostly the same. Bodies just falls. I hope we can make better with Joan which will have several death effects per each weapon.

Initially we started with buttons - it was a long way to the current control scheme, which is still being improved (see the actual in-game beta screenshot below).

[​IMG]

Most of that isn't just already planned - it's already drawn. We have pretty much GFX done already. Including 3 bosses with at least 2-4 more bosses to go.

So, share them with us :)

Speed scaling is already increased in the next beta build we are testing internally now - it will grow faster, yet up to the maximum by a logarithmic function.

Thanks =) Nice weapon ideas we will be discussing. The only thing from here we already discussed is the Flamethrouwer, which we missed somehow in the first place.

All is planned - story, hidden secret levels to not just move horizontally and boss fights too.

We plan it to be like at least 3 levels per location. Yet it probably will look like a single endless world, which will continue to be random, in case you'll manage to run though at least 30-50 levels and not to die. We thought about a quiet room in between locations, like you have in Left 4 Dead, yet currently our plan to avoid this not to lose the speed and game dynamics - might think of it later when all the effects are programmed.

The primary goal is to infiltrate all levels, deal with all bosses and discover the truth behind all this - why the Joan is in the cell and why she remembers nothing of her past.

As soon as we adding something new. The lead Joan developer has returned from a short vacation a couple of days ago. Now we are testing some misc improvements, better speed grows, score counter for kills, coins, new sounds and etc. Yet I think the next beta build comes as soon as we add new guns in it to be more fun. Might be like a week or couple of weeks.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Reading all of that post from the devs already tells me this is going to be another great pixel mayhem goodness.

5. Bronxsta

Hey, EP, you beta testing Joan as well?

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Nope... I would if i could though. ;)

7. iTester

iTester Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Tester
    ios city
    Please check pm

8. Bronxsta

Try emailing the devs, they're really cool about letting people beta test.

9. iTester

Aug 16, 2013
    Tester
    ios city
    I have send a mail also but still no reply .

10. Bronxsta

@Happybyte - I started an indie game blog (link in signature), would it be okay if I write about Joan and my impressions while testing?

11. TheGrimCreeper

TheGrimCreeper Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    I'm definitely keepig my eye on this one.

12. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Sent you a new invite :)

It won't be just OK - it'll be wonderful!

Thanks =)

13. Bronxsta

Ok great. I know some devs prefer beta testers not to discuss the game in detail while testing so wanted your OK before writing anything

14. iTester

Aug 16, 2013
    Tester
    ios city
    1.life bar is missing
    2.score is missing
    Game is awesome . Will post about gameplay bugs soon if I find any thing

15. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    That's not a bug. See the dev's post in above about score and coin..

16. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    This looks amazing. Looking forward to it!

17. iTester

Aug 16, 2013
    Tester
    ios city
    K thanks

18. Bronxsta

How's the game progressing? Been a while since the initial build. Got a bunch of other games so I'm not complaining, just curious about the next update

19. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    I'm posting our current progress and more info tonight :)