Universal Joe Danger Infinity (by Hello Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jan 8, 2014.

1. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Looks exactly like the previous game on iOS only with even more IAP shenanigans this time, so yeah, I'll skip it. What a shame, I loved the original Joe Danger on my PS3, thought the iOS version was ok but by the time I finished it, had enough of its simplified gameplay. This one tries to sell you vehicles and characters that are completely cosmetic but requires them on some levels just so you bite into the IAP. Well guess what, I'm not going to.

2. Because iOS 7 takes up a hell of a lot of RAM and it makes a load of games not run on iPad 2's anymore

I dunno, I guess Apple hates me for wanting optimal performance out of their hardware

3. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    What's infinity about it?
    Nothing, but the attempt for the developer to have this game come up in search results when people are looking for Disney infinity of course.
    The graphics are quite gorgeous though, but not paying $3 for a game riddled with IAP.

4. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    I'm definitely getting it but it would have been great to add an endless twist. It will be interesting to see a comparison between this and the PS3/Xbox versions...

5. mintyray

mintyray Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2012
    I thought Infinity = endless. so there's no endless mode?

6. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    Nope. I think infinity is to signal the amount of money you can spend on IAP now, which can be used for buying consumable cheats amongst other "goodies".

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Has this been confirmed?

8. killercow

killercow Well-Known Member

9. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Okay so I watched most of Sanuku's video and I have no idea how GiHubb and co. are getting the impressions that this is some paid-ium game. You can use coins to buy vehicles now but as seen towards the end of the video, you earn vehicles by completing levels. Coins seem to be earned at a reasonable pace; when he got the Firecracker, he already had 300 coins. So it's not like the game seems stingy. Boosters seem unnecessary, as boosters usually are

Now of course I can't say anything definite, but going by the gameplay, this looks like premium game with IAP for those who can't be bothered to actually play through the game.

Just because a game has IAP doesn't mean it's some evil agenda to rip you off, it's really getting annoying to see this mentality in so many threads

10. Shan82

Shan82 Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Songwriter.
    USA
    This is the only thing I'm buying tonight can't wait until 11:00 pm. :D:D:D

11. mintyray

mintyray Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2012
    awww... I was under the impression that there'd be a true endless mode. The IAPs don't bother me that much. Looks pretty standard like the 1st Joe. I'll just wait for the sale then. It can wait.

12. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Game is great fun. Not drastically different from the previous game but different enough to be enjoyable.

If you're worried abou IAPs though, they're definitely more prominent than the original, although still just as unnecessary.

From the Eurogamer review: "But the appearance of three boosters - offering invincibility, a coin magnet and the ability to perform stunts automatically when airborne - is more intrusive. These single-use power-ups are 69p each, and show up before each repeat attempt at a level, putting you an extra tap away from an instant restart."

13. henryfakesmile

henryfakesmile Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    usa
    Just because a game has IAP doesn't mean it's some evil agenda to rip you off, it's really getting annoying to see this mentality in so many threads

14. BoneyCork

BoneyCork Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Sorry no. I'll admit, when I've paid so little for a game with so much content, I can't complain about the existence of iAP. But shoving it in my face every time I fail a level just isn't right. It's greedy and intrusive.

15. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    It's out in the US! Instabuy for me!

16. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    It's not a question of greed or right versus wrong. It's just that sadly in general the only way you can make money on the App Store these days is with such IAPs (there are exceptions, but generally speaking). There's nothing wrong with trying to make money off a game you made.

What it is though is darn annoying. And cheapens the feel of the game. The powerups seem completly unnessasary so who cares they exist. But stop reminding me of them!

17. I played the beta right through to the end and didn't use any IAP so I wouldn't worry too much about spending lots of the money. The game is very well made and you easily earn enough coins during regular gameplay to get all the vehicles and costumes (in fact most of them come from collecting gumball tokens anyway).

18. GiHubb

GiHubb Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 27, 2010
    CEO
    In the gameplay video, Sanuku earns about 300 coins per level, Some of the vehicles and characters had a price tag of 100,000 - that is not a reasonable pace of earning coins. Also, adding consumable powerups for cheating your way through a level is something I'm not too fond of either. And if it blocks an instant restart, that is also very annoying.

Of course I could be wrong and this game is a blast, even if it does seem almost identical to the first Touch game.

19. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Damn... 3 dollars and lots and lots of IAP, consumables and such... the "Premium" tag is getting worse and worse everyday...

20. kaibosh

kaibosh Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2012
    Ouch. Grindzilla. This alone is going to keep me away, they want their premium price and then to gouge you as well. A game should be so much fun you want to replay levels, not feel you have to in order to unlock trifling content.