John Mad Run (Happymagenta) - endless scroll shooter

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Happybyte, Apr 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Been waiting for Joan mad Run for a while good to hear it's coming out soon!

2. gamer456ism

gamer456ism Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    Impressions

I've Been following this games thread for a long time and have been waiting to play.

Thoughts: The game play is very fast paced and enjoyable. Similar to jet pack joyride in the sense that you bust through the door to get as far as you can. I love the variety of obstacles and things to avoid. It's so satisfying to see enemies get cut in half and blood go everywhere, the also really supports this. The guns themselves feel unique and are great to use (especially the laser). The enemies are pretty varied and fit well together.

Complaints/suggestions: I think that the weapon prices should be a lot higher and vary by weapon. The laser should cost more then like a rifle. Also the ability to do Facebook stuff for ingame objects is a something developers been doing for a good time now and is fine by me as long as it's not forced. Something this game does well (when testing it I didn't have to like anything as it unlocked when I went to the page. Not sure if there is a way to check, but if it's on really expensive weapons then it might be a problem). Another thing to say would be about some of the situations you can get in. Example: Your on the bottom level and the sign for a riot shield guy appears, you wait until he's on the screen to jump up. Right? Well what if your under a laser, nothing you can really do then. Other small suggestions: Have the platforms be unique to the area they're in. The platforms in the subway should look different from the tunnel ones.
    Make the pistol wielding dudes pull the gun up faster as I think it's to slow.

Conclusion: A great fast paced retro game that always has more to offer. Other then a couple very very small balancing issuers that can be easily fixed it's an amazing game.

3. Nobunaga

Nobunaga Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    ^
    This. I don't have the time to get involved in a beta, so I'd never tried Joan. I know it'll be a while longer. This will be good until then I'm sure.

4. Happybyte

Happybyte Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Thanks =)

Weapon costs update online from our servers - we'll be fine tuning it.

About Facebook likes, of course, we do need them.

There is technical way to check it. But there are a bit more steps to do for player and sometimes it glitches. To check likes player must be signed in with Facebook account - that is an extra step.

So, as in many games, the checking for the like for a particular user account is now turned off because many people like it anyway and to avoid a frustration caused by technical issues - that's why right now it just unlocks if you tap on the button.

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    One thing I am finding to be kind of lackluster is the upgrades. They're kinda bland, with just ammo capacity being increased, and little sense of progression. I think it would be cool if upgrading unlocked the secondary fires for weapons and boosted other stats. So first you could have an ammo upgrade, then a fire rate, then the secondary fire, then more ammo and fire rate etc. This would make the upgrades more meaningful to the player

6. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Places on levels have particular difficulty ratings.

There are some parts that specifically made to be more hard - they are mixed with easy and medium ones, so the player can relax after passing hard ones.

With the riot guy it's easy when you have a proper gun ready - just slice him using laser ;)

7. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    That is planned for the main game.

There will be even more stuff like color crystals upgrades for lasers/lightswords and etc.

We'll be adding it to the free version later.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Oh right, I recall you mentioning the color customization. Haha, so is it likely that I'll be able to use a rainbow death laser in a few months? :D

9. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Probably ;)

There will be plenty things to upgrade - power ups and their duration, items, gear.

Actually when I told the team that we must to make a short free version they didn't agree to make it just a limited copy of Joan - I agreed that then it has to be a separate game.

The first prototype was the guy with a rainbow laser in a sweet candy world - I can post the concept screenshot later tomorrow.

Then I told them, c'mon, guys, that's doesn't fit the gore, brutality concept. Then we came up with the idea of John or as it was in the eralier concept a guy from an eastern Europe. We planned to add some bears into the level and to add a special musical weapon to make it some more grotesque and that's from what the sauna came from - but then the real world events in the eastern Europe had made us to make the concept some less area specific.

10. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    This looks cool :)

11. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Thanks =)

12. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Thanks for the code. I sent two emails with thoughts playing on my Air and iPhone 5. Hope you got them.

13. Happybyte

Patreon Silver

Mar 1, 2011
    Yep. Thanks!

John is out now in NZ and propagating to other countries.

Feel free to download and post your impressiont to the release game thread http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=224749

14. gamer456ism

gamer456ism Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    There's already a hacker on the leaderboards :(