Junk Jack X or Terraria?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Hausman Prime, Aug 29, 2013.

1. DannyTheElite

DannyTheElite Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Forum poster
    Area 51
    Thank you :)

2. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Check out Survival Craft for a similar experience but in a first person perspective. Man, that game sucks me in.

I like JJ so picked em both up.

3. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    I'm still none the wiser.

4. Gamigo78

Gamigo78 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2011
    JJX has tons more features than Terraria. Well, if you have a look at the euip system, there are like 300 different items to equip in JJX. So, choice is quite easy, buy Junk Jack :)

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    So for someone who doesnt do the crafty type of games and such which one is just purely funner? Which one would hold someones attention more if they werent too into these types of games?

6. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Terraria. Junk Jack focuses more on crafting and building. While the same is possible in Terraria, you could also play it as a straight forward action game, keeping crafting to a minimum, aim to kill all the bosses and collect all the items and still get more hours than you would from most iOS games.

7. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Awesome advice man thanks.

8. Deewin

Deewin Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    I bought both and only recently got into terraria on the pc which is AMAZING. It's like they used the sprites of the 2D final fantasy games put them in a metroid like world to explore, find and craft weapons minecraft style, and take on monsters like in Castelvania SOTN or the GBA versions.

With that being said, I bought both and I still need to get used to the controls in terraria because to me it doesn't feel natural yet. Junk Jack X is designed straight up for IOS but I can't stand how you have to hold down the object you want to cut down because that means I have to tap and hold on my iPad mini screen everywhere all the time! I play games on every platform out there and I have to say that even though I never played terraria on the consoles, I would much rather play these games with a gamepad over a touch screen. Here's hoping for BT gamepad support in the future :)

9. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    #29 vii-Lucky, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
    I have this option to get one of them, and probably will not buy the other one.

I want unlimited worlds ( or a larger world compare to minecraft )

And it to be challenging, time consuming and will have some great update in the future..

And maybe on where i can use my imagination to build anything (like we can do in minecraft)

Thanks

Edit: Or should i get anomaly korea and eden world builder?

10. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I think thank the Jubk Jack X is better. I've lost much time while playing it than Terraria.

11. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    Hasn't this been beaten to death in the games' threads?

Anyhow, ideally if you're into these games, you should get both. It's $10 for both, and that's what Terraria all by itself would cost you on any other platform it's available upon. Further, in spite of the superficial similarities, the games look, feel, control, and play very differently. However, I know people just can't control themselves with these X vs Y questions. So here in no particular order are some of the differences in scope and design that might help you choose if you must:

1. Terraria is much more focused on combat than Junk Jack. Mobs are merely obstacles to exploration in JJX, but there are full on video game boss battles in Terraria along with crazy weapons.

2. Junk Jack X has a lot more sand in its sandbox. What I mean is that although both have you exploring worlds, gathering resources, and building tools to survive and thrive in those worlds, Terraria has a lot more structured, functional content with preset goals and requirements to nudge the player. JJX is truly open ended, the closest it comes to having any sort of preset progress is unlocking the new planets.

3. Utterly different aesthetics. Beyond both being 2D, that's about the end of it. Nearly everything in JJX is built upon the "human" sized block paradigm, a design aesthetic that appeals to the anal retentive in me. Terraria is more like a retro RPG where you can deconstruct and then reconstruct the pixels used to display the world. Terraria's system is more flexible, but messier and more chaotic as well.

4. Alone in the world vs just another explorer vibe. The world's in JJX are pristine wilderness where only you and, maybe, a friend find themselves with the freedom to do what they want. Terraria has numerous NPCs that have their own "lives" and fill you in on what's happening and what (they think) you ought to be doing.

5. JJX's game design and controls were conceived and implemented for the touch screen and there are enough options in the settings that you ought to find something that is seamless once you give it a little while. Terraria was originally designed with a keyboard and mouse control, then later ported to console controllers (with mixed player reactions), and, now, on iOS, you have virtual controls that emulate the odd duck combination of a dual stick plus a mouse. It *usually* works, but as you might imagine, it has its wonkiness.

6. Option of multiplayer in JJX vs none in Terraria. This may or may not matter to you, but JJX has the option of hooking up with a friend or family member and doing some exploring and building together, as well as swapping goods, etc. Terraria may or may not get multiplayer in the future and, as always, better to buy a game for the features it has right now instead of something that may or many not ever become reality.

12. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Shouldn't be playing either of these games then.

13. Timobrow

Timobrow Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    I would argue that Terraria is the game for him. Sure, there are resources to be collected, but the game focuses much heavier on action and exploration.

14. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    It's not like Terraria lacks any of the sand though, check some of these out for inspiration:

(Linked because they're massive)

http://i.imgur.com/1SbQ1.png

http://i.imgur.com/oUcqc.png

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a92/arforbes/Castle3.png

http://24.media.tumblr.com/03d4176794f89911d5958909f18f5e60/tumblr_mnjo5bT7is1son0ozo1_r1_500.png

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w246/nt_sakurasora/cathedrale.jpg

http://www.terrariaonline.com/attachments/terarriabiodome-jpg.26845/

http://www.terrariaonline.com/attachments/vulcan-png.17390/

15. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    As opposed to Junk Jack, sure. Although if the building aspect of Terraria is really that light I might get it myself; I didn't really "get" Junk Jack. I respect the concept of it, but didn't really dig it.

16. shining jade

shining jade Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Junk Jack / Junk Jack X Better all the way!

Lol I told myself to try to stay away from these forums about
    Junk Jack X vs Terraria but I can't .... I'm on Junk Jack's side I've been a fan since I bought the first Junk Jack, I knew nothing of it I had just come back into IOS after a 2 year broke phase and a tablet with a android os system ill never go back to.. I bought it on IOS as my first game for my new iPad mini was not sure if it was good I wanted a different type of mincraft game, since at the time survival craft was still only androids ..... I found it to be amazing, who couldn't ! The controls are fluent with IOS devices, It has many items to build and find, The enemy's are their but not a big thing, unless your mining way, way down underground and not putting safety points along the way then they will follow your path lol..
    Graphics in my view are way better, I played and tried Terraria on pc I didn't like its graphics at all, Junk Jacks and Junk Jack X are great graphics, they always seem to impress. The sequel added wearable armor you can notice while walking around, multiplayer, in my opinion better sky transitions, new crafting items more push on playing to unlock planets, or you can be lazy and unlock them with money .. >~< To me Junk Jack And its new sequel Junk Jack X are worth it as a fan I stick to JJ all the way. I won't buy Terraria when I can get a better experience with JJ. A Fan stays a fan in some cases.

17. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    I know, people have done some really amazing things with the building in Terraria, things you'd even have a near, if not outright, impossible time doing in JJX. Still, I feel it's more like you can do it in Terraria if you really want, but it's not what the game was built for.

18. J2o

J2o Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2011
    This is a completely Terraria post, but should I go get the iOS version or PSN? I want the full version and the default difficulty, but im known for not really caring about finishing everything an open world has to offer( borderland, skyrim, fallout). Never have really finished most of the games 100%. Because of this, I want to get the iOS version, but I want to be able to play with a controller so that's why i want to get the psn version. Then again, I'm always on the go and barely home, so should i get the iOS version? That's why I'm torn about this.

Until this dilemma is resolved or the latest Foursaken game is released, I'm quite stuck on this haha. Help.

19. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Terraria isn't very good with a controller to be honest. The game was designed to use a mouse, and the console versions make that very obvious. You're essentially trying to emulate the mouse using an analog stick and it can be pretty cumbersome. The iOS version has made a better translation if you ask me. It's still not perfect, but being able to tap anywhere is a definite improvement.

20. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX