Universal Kinetic Damage (by Benjamin Marchand)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Exact-Psience, Jun 5, 2013.

1. KineticDamage

KineticDamage Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #101 KineticDamage, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    More specials ? Sure. More moves ? Less sure :) I want every move to have a reason to exist, and not just be some "new animation" of the same effect. Here, adding an overhead would have an excellent reason to exist, but when we talk about special effects, I prefer to constrain it to specials.

Put it another way, I don't want to walk on "other games" path, like adding a boss, or adding super moves, fatalities, etc. All of these have been beaten to death for litterally two decades, and other games do it far better than Kinetic Damage. I feel there's room for new grounds in fighting games. Especially in the skill mechanics department.

Initially, I wanted each Art to have 8 specials, 10 combos, where the player would chose 4 specials / 6 combos before each fight. But I saw how much work it was, and release had to happen one day. It will happen in the future if I get enough resources, though.

edit : btw most "up to down" strikes are overhead in KD :) (Taekwondo's cl.LK is one)

2. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    I understand.
    Then, I think it would be cool to see some air target combos and some other overhead combos or special combos/moves. Yup, I know, overhead combos would be a bit broken, but if blocked it could put the player in a huge frame disadvantage. Think of Hwoarang's Chainsaw Kick. First, high kick than doesn't hit crouching opponents, and then another kick that's an overhead. If blocked, in SFxTK light attacks can punish him.

3. golden_gate

golden_gate Member

Jun 7, 2013
    #103 golden_gate, Jun 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Benjamin,

Thanks so much for putting your soul and heart into doing innovative things when it comes down to the AI Engine.

The partner mode where the gamer controls the infamous pyramid with the three attributes is off the hook. The ideal is new and can not be found in any other fighting game. Essentially in Kinetic Damage you have created "games withing games".

I recently played the "Team Survival" game. I have to admit while I was observing my partner slaughter the adversary I was sipping on some red label Chimay, but when I had to turn it on I did. This game is also fascinating as it allows one to view AI vs AI.. and to examine different styles of offense and defense in a match.

I can't wait until multiplayer comes up. I hope those on the forum who have purchased this game are practicing hard as they will be sure to die when they challenge my Shaolin Kung Fu style fighting character. Please purchase your health insurance now. :)

Who would think that this immersive game would also have a kick-ass soundtrack.

"@Buckbottleneck "I tip my hat off to you. "Glueball" in da house!!
    This track makes me want to pull out my Roland MV8800 and do a remix in tribute to the release of the game and the great sounds of the Metacortex album.

4. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    cl.LK?!? Ha, so that's why I can't use the first combo when I'm right next to the enemy. I always wondered why the animation was different and I couldn't use the light combo.
    So Taekwondo's medium combo is for cl.LK, right? Could you add "(close)" next to the combos' names? Or over the buttons' icons.

5. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Welcome to TA :)

I agree with you 100%. Coaching your partner is not only fun, but also a great way of learning "what beats what". I just got a legendary partner who uses my technique (Break), and I have learned a lot watching him. . . . I also like watching two AI characters fight in the tournaments even when I'm not coaching. :D

6. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    If you pull up the move list when paused you can see which combos start with a close attack. :) It confused me at first too.

[​IMG]

I'm think it's only standing attacks that change when close.

7. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Oh, damn, never saw that. I think I only opened the move list in the first match I played :p

8. Buck bottleneck

Buck bottleneck Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    Thx golden gate

9. odi0n

odi0n Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2011
    I stand corrected.

I did not know that, I knew they had this in the console versions but not the mobile.

10. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    That move list helps.
    Thanks.

11. KineticDamage

KineticDamage Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #111 KineticDamage, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
    haha, I totally love how you guys talked about KD in Touch Arcade Show 107 :D
    Well in fact I really like the relaxed tone of Touch Arcade Show podcasts ;)

edit : Niche genres for the win :D

12. User58394

User58394 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    XD If I don't lag, I'mma demolish you all.

13. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Same here. :cool: If my internet connection is up to it, there's going to be some crazy Tai Chai Chaun and Break style matches happening.

I seem to do a lot of damage when the AI is in it's analytical mode, and less when it's playing aggresive/reactive. I think everybody will play super aggressive in real life. Tick damage is high, and the game punishes the "turtle", so it should get interesting. :D

14. Buck bottleneck

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    It depends of your style , i play ninjutsu and if i want to win with it i got to be not so agressive . Very speed but very weak

15. armilla

armilla Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Really stoked to see Tai Chi Chuan in the game, and will definitely check this game out! From what I've gathered, it seems like each fighting style has its own system, so would be cool to see more introduced in future updates. Though it'd be challenging to do, I dream of a fighting game that had aikido, and this one seems like it could.

16. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Hey dev,
    What is in and when will the update be released?

17. Buck bottleneck

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    He told me there Will be some bug fixes and may be a training section.
    He actually works on it and hopes to do it for next week

18. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Thanks buck.

19. Buck bottleneck

Jun 5, 2013
    Musician
    France
    Ahaha, don't be so sure .... You don't have met my ninjutsu fighter yet :D

20. User58394