King of Dragon Pass $6.99 for 25 hours

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by solarfl4re, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    After spending many, many hours playing the PC version of this game I think it is finally time to also have it in my pocket :)

2. mrbiggles

mrbiggles Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Like retired
    USA
    anyone hate this game? read about you die at random and hard to win.

still can't dump $7, mabe if its $2-$3 in future.

3. TreeHouse

TreeHouse Active Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I'm pulling it down now and I would feel remiss if I didn't support it because I always complain that these type of games don't show up very often. Hopefully I don't go insane trying to learn everything but it looks like one of those rare experiences and I hope it lives up to the hype.

4. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    I've been looking at this for a while now.

I'm very tempted to get it at this price, my only worry is that it might be too complex for me. I think I'll sit on the fence for another day and see if anyone else posts their opinion here.

5. Senile Felines

Senile Felines Active Member

Mar 6, 2013
    King of Dragon Pass is very, VERY difficult. The game took me well over a month to really get the feel of, and if you don't read EVERYTHING, you will have no shortage of problems. This game is very much a thinking man's game--not only do you have to really get involved as far as mastery of the game is concerned, but also in playing your role as a chief.

But you know what? I can try and give a comprehensive critique of this game, but the only thing you need to know from me is:

I played this game for about two months when it first came out, and I got COMPLETELY immersed in it. I got so involved in King of Dragon Pass that I LITERALLY would dream in this game's world. I have written short stories inspired by the exact storytelling method of this game's hero quest (albeit using gods of the Babylonian mythos). I cannot state in any uncertain terms how invaluable an experience it is to have a game that tells so compelling a story that it compels you to dream and even create within its world--and puts you in charge of that story.

If that sounds like something you would think is up your alley, get it at $7 for a steal--or pay the full $10 and support the devs for bringing one of the last great PC adventure games to iOS and continuing to show it love.

6. nkarafo

nkarafo Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
  7. rtru

rtru New Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Finland
    I'm really happy that this game has sold well. I came in contact with the developer while working for real networks and helped him in finding an artist for the UI rework + did some of the redesign.

My favorite game of all time, got even my own advisor into the game for the help :) (The new eurmal worshipper...the god of game developers in my opinion :D )

8. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    I still have no idea how to play this game. Is there a walk through anywhere online you guys would recommend?

9. Bloko

Bloko Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2012
    Have you read in-game help bubbles? I think they're enough to make you understand the game mechanics.

10. acrotran

acrotran Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
  11. Yume

Yume Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    I'm pretty greedy, but I love this kind of game, so I bought it.
    I failed pretty hard, but it's a really nice game :D

12. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    You wouldnt be dumping anything, its an awesome experience. It IS hard to win, I spent at least a month with the game before becaming any good at it and even then sometimes I got myself in nasty situations because of poor planning. Its really unlike anything in the appstore and totally worth it.

This has endless replayability, and not the "one more try" replayability that we always see on ios but true endless replay value in which every game is vastly different to the next.

Buy it, dont buy it. Its up to you but please dont skip it only because its 7 bucks because that would be very sad.

13. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Well I took a risk and bought it last night, I've spent about 4-5 hours since then playing it. It is a very good game, without a doubt.

Sadly I have now deleted it as its just too complex for me, I cannot devote weeks and weeks to learning this as that is what it would take me.

To anyone who loves these sort of games and doesnt mind spending a lot of time learning, I say buy it now, but to anyone like myself who was sat on the fence wondering if it would be too complex, I'd say leave it.

I do regret buying but I wont be asking for a refund, I believe developers should be rewarded for bringing games like this to the ipad, we have far too much trash like runners, angry birds and other flavour of the month tosh.

It's just a shame I won't get to enjoy it.

14. Riotgirl

Riotgirl Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2012
    UK
    There are certain type of games that no matter how many times one plays, something fails to ignite, or one cannot quite grasp the game. For me it was Eve Online (MMORPG) when I tried on four separate occasions (I subbed four times over the years from 2003 to 2007), but after a few months I couldn't get into the game - despite acknowledging that on the surface, it was the type of game that should have appealed to me.

I fully respect your opinion, even though I find KoDP absorbing and the setting [Glorantha] fascinating. Certain games have a learning curve, but after a while it should click together and pull you into the game. If that doesn't happen, then there is no point persisting if you are not enjoying the experience.

Another personal example is RTS. Aside from C&C back in the day, I've never been able to get into RTS games. That said, I did buy Autumn Dynasty based upon its setting, and wonderful controls. I still have yet to play longer than a couple of minutes after first purchasing! I'll get round to it one day.

FWIW, KoDP does have trial versions or both PC and Mac users.

15. BrushMyNoseOff

BrushMyNoseOff Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Coach / Photographer
    NYC
    I was very intrigued by this game since its' release, but at the time only had an iPhone, and thought the small screen would be cumbersome.

Anyway, I have an iPad now, the game is universal, and I've just learned that Battle of the Bulge's David Dunham is responsible for this. Regardless if I get past the said steep difficulty curve, I need to have this and support such efforts on iOS!

Looking forward to spending some time with it tonight after work.