Universal King of Dragon Pass - (by A Sharp)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Nachtfischer

Nachtfischer Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Just won the long game and became King Of Dragon Pass. This has to be one of the most exciting and glorious gaming moments of my life. :')

Spoiler below (my ending scene)!
    Dunorl married the Feathered Horse Queen and became King of Dragon Pass. The king of the dragonewts told him, “You have taken pieces of old things, and made them into new and powerful things. You made things better by turning them into their opposites. You stopped a war by turning it into stones and mortar. You made peace by conjuring a wolf. You found ancient secrets of the earth, and now use them to make another new thing, joining together the people of cows and storm with the people of horses and sun.” This was the first day of a great new kingdom, a kingdom that will one day take Dunorl’s name. It will one day enter a desperate struggle with a great empire, and its last king will forever change the face of the world. All of this will be possible because of the courage and forethought of the Orleving clan, of the Sambari tribe, who came to Dragon Pass when it was wild, and remade it in their own image.

2. mkill

mkill Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Bought it yesterday (what took me so long?) and loved it.

Sure, there is a lot to pick up, but I learnt the following:
    (1) You can never have enough cows
    (2) Don't be too merciful - this is the Iron Age
    (3) Diplomacy is VERY important - even more than in Civilization games. You can't just conquer other clans, they'll be around
    (4) People die, but you can always call in new farmers. And you can always raise them to warriors if you have enough horses
    (5) Don't split the clan
    (6) Becoming king is expensive. Growing big creates internal strife.
    (7) Never stop exploring
    (8) Read the hints in the screen where you distribute magic for the year
    (9) If in doubt, take the decision that makes your farmers happy.

3. Nachtfischer

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Well, growing too large too fast you might have to. Apart from that: Some good points for new players there!

4. Emos

Emos Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    @mkill, nice tips there! One other thing is to maximize your trade routes, that way you can use goods instead of cows for purchasing food and treasures, use in offerings and sacrifices, and win friends and influence people (ie just bribe everyone ;)

5. Nachtfischer

Feb 7, 2013
    Game Designer
    Germany
    Very true. So true, that I feel like my first steps are now always to set up a large amount of trade routes and my decisions throughout the events don't vary too much (as you said, I just bribe every possible god, clan and enemy). This strategy also works perfectly on hard difficulty, it just takes a bit longer to convince the clans to set up the routes. So after a while - when you've seen most of the events multiple times - it can get a bit tedious.

That said, I obviously still think this is the best digital game ever made and there is a lot of replayability, so no worries. I'll just wait for the next update to get some new random events into the mix before playing again. :p

6. Th3R3n3gad3

Th3R3n3gad3 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2012
    Hey, is this game getting an iPhone 5 res update?

7. davidovich

davidovich Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2008
    I'm patiently waiting for the iphone 5 widescreen update too

8. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Update is available, and it is AWESOME!

• 19 new interactive scenes
    • Upgraded music to CD-quality stereo (thanks to Stan LePard)
    • Support iPhone 5 screen size
    • Take clan proximity into account when raiding
    • Track notable deaths in saga
    • New treasures
    • More annual scuttlebutt
    • Tint tribal areas on the map
    • Various improvements to advice
    • Show relevant changes to advisor images during a scene
    • Battle situations don’t leave blank lines in the saga
    • Fixed a bug that allowed indefinite raiding during Sea season
    • More accurate determination of exploring certain areas
    • Fixed typos and bugs
    • Fixed a memory leak in VoiceOver play
    • Added anonymous tracking so we can understand how people play
    • Now requires iOS 5.1

9. rcxdeez

rcxdeez Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2013
    buffalo, ny
    Beat me to it. Looking forward to playing through this again once I'm XCOM'd out. Still probably my favorite game for iOS.

10. Gilgilad

Gilgilad Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    Really excited about the new patch, will be starting up a new game tonight when I get home. I have never actually finished a game though, I always play a game non-stop for a couple weeks and then get distracted by some new game and then when I come back to it I like to start over with a new game, one of the best games for replaying from the beginning IMO.

11. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Glad the game is finally optimized for the iPhone 5 screen

12. JML

JML Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Home Sweet Home
    Another great update for my favourite iOS game. I love getting new scenes. There really are no other games like this (on whatever platform), are there?

13. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    OMG awesome an update!! :D

I just wish it was possible to iCloud between my i5 and iPad 4.

14. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    I totally agree! iCloud would make this my number one go to for epic story gaming ^_^*

Thanks again to the Devs for pouring their heart and soul into this absolute gem of iOS gaming ^_^!

Can't wait to try the new updated content!!

15. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #235 MrMojoRisin, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    Is this new content that was already in the PC version of the game, or is this totally new content exclusive to iOS?

16. iJason827

iJason827 New Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Yessss!! Woke up to this update I was so surprised. I absolutely love this amazing game and can't wait to try out the new material! Thanks so much Devs! This is the only app that I know 100% will stay on my iPod forever lol.

17. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Fantastic Sim - Must Play

So I was looking over some of the many wonderful games on sale at gog.com and came across this one. Currently on sale for $3< and thought to myself I heard of it on iOS.

I've passed it by a number of times due to the uncertainty of what I would be getting myself into and for $10, I just never pulled the trigger. Well last night, around 11pm I finally bit the bullet and bought it on iOS. I choose iOS because it seems to be supported more-so than the PC version AND it's on sale.

Man am I glad I did.

11pm turned into 4:30am and before I knew it, I woke up at 9 with my iPhone in my hand still. This is much more than a choose your own adventure - which is what I thought it was prior to buying it. I'm not really into CYOA games so I wanted to pass on my impressions to anyone who has been hesitant like me in pulling the trigger.

You start by answering a series of questions about what decisions your ancestors made in the past to specific events. This forms the history and believes of your people.

From there, you're on to making the important decisions, with the help of your clan leaders, called the Clan Ring. These leaders have their own personality and opinions on everything that happens. They'll suggest what actions to take, which is actually a blast, but ultimately you make the decisions. With a rich heritage to honor and immersion plentiful with lore galore, what KoDP ends up being is a Sim/RPG/Strategy/CYOA. Relations with other clans are just as important as having enough cattle to feed the clan through the dark season. Sometimes clans owe you favors in times of need, and other times you might owe them a favor in which they will unexpectedly ask you make good on. That's the beauty of KoDP, so many things can happen which all define your history, sometimes what you decided on will haunt you later, the following year but every decision matters.

From time to time you may be raided from an enemy clan and so quick decision making is important. Should you sacrifice to the gods before you charge for battle or spend magic points to help tilt the battle in your favor? Although the combat isn't a graphic feast of real-time button pressing, it somehow doesn't lose it's excitement. I'd guess because the outcome of such battles truly matter and have serious consequence.

If you've been hesitant in picking this up as I have, I just wanted to add to the impressions in this thread, that you shouldn't hesitate in picking this fine game up so you too can enjoy one of the most immersive, meaningful experiences on the App Store or on any gaming platform, period.

Although I've tried, I have not done this game justice and may forever pay for my inferior impressions, I will except my fate and hope the gods have mercy on my soul.

18. gamer300

gamer300 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Europe
    I haven't played this game much yet (still playing my first short game, not counting tutorial), and man, this game is kicking my ass. I still like it though, and i love all the choices and events. I read the manual, but i think i still barely understand it and i am confident that i will learn by doing.

19. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Yes, lol, this is definitely the interactive fiction equivalent of Dark Souls. :D

20. gamer300

gamer300 Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Europe
    #240 gamer300, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    I started a new game, since in my former game everyone was pretty much slowly starving. But now, my clan has prospered only to have a natural disaster wipe out nearly 200 cows and a lot of other goods and population. Although the positive side is that i had over 1000 cows, so i'm still good with 800. I also used the situation to help other clans who were struck aswell, and now i am very kingworthy. And, yey, managed to create my first tribe.

What i actually am trying to tell you guys that i find this game awesome, i don't have any other words for it currently.