Universal King of Dragon Pass - (by A Sharp)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Alensin

Alensin Member

Sep 8, 2011
    university student
    Oregon, USA
    I think that's intentional, to convey the mythic quality of the quests. They're supposed to be rather otherworldly, after al.

2. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    Heroquest art

I didn’t want to crop that artwork, so the beige area avoids interfering with the text overlay.

That’s not why they’re blurry. The real problem is that they’re low quality JPEGs. I thought there was something wrong with them, but I must have double-checked one that looked OK.

This is not intentional! The hero plane does not have compression artifacts.

3. nabs

nabs Active Member

Sep 3, 2011
    I have a question regarding tribal agreements. During the tribe making negotiations, you may agree to make sacrifices to a certain god. How are these agreements upheld? Do you have to manually make the sacrifices or are they automatic?

4. Alensin

Alensin Member

Sep 8, 2011
    university student
    Oregon, USA
    I believe in this particular case they are automatically upheld, though stand to be corrected by heads wiser than mine. Other agreements, such as against banditry, probably benefit from the usual exploration into unknown territory as described in the manual.

5. eflin

eflin Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Just wanted to post my support for this app. Just bought it last night but have been having a blast with it so far.

My only thought would be does it make sense to make all selections need to be double tapped? Even though I've been fairly careful I've still managed to select the wrong thing a few times when I was simply trying to scroll through the options. Otherwise I've been having a great time with the game so far!

6. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    They're automatic. Having to start micromanaging once you found a tribe doesn't sound like a good reward to me.

7. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    There's certainly other places with scrollable buttons (like the Settings app). But I get this could be a problem.

The answer is probably to be LESS careful -- at least when scrolling, a big flick is more likely to be successful. I suspect people are trying to read while scrolling, which means you're moving much more slowly. Another option is if you realize you poked the wrong response, SLOWLY move your finger until the response isn't highlighted, then lift.

8. nabs

nabs Active Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Thanks for the reply! I was accumulating "slights" with the Elmal clan in my tribe and I was wondering why. My advisors were reporting that my popularity with tribemates were low, though they were all my allies and I had Oath. So I was wondering if tribal agreements had something to do with it.

9. Oh! Any chance of a fix then? :D

10. heringer

heringer Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Any tips to achieving "king clan" status? I already played for like, 30+ years and nothing. I'm allied with quite a few clans and even did the Storms Hero Quest and a couple others. Can't see the option to form a tribe anywhere.

11. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    Heroquest art

2.0.3 is already out! I feel bad that I didn't notice this earlier (I almost noticed at one point, but then decided they were OK).

12. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    The opportunity to create a tribe should arise pretty soon after you qualify -- assuming you have a decent reputation and have completed the Storm Tribe heroquest, that should not take long.

A *second* opportunity is a lot less predictable, should you fail to make a tribe. But they will come by too.

As for king, you definitely have multiple chances at that.

13. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Yeah, I'm having the same problem. I've got quite a few allies, completed the quest, and have the highest reputation. But I failed the first tribe forming. Now I'm seeing nothing, and it's been so many years.

14. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    Ending a feud should give you an opportunity to start a tribe.

15. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    With the current sale, King of Dragon Pass is probably one of the best examples of content (and fun) to the dollar in the App Store.

16. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    KoDP for iPad

Just wanted to let everyone know that we have begun the daunting task of converting all the 40 or so screens to iPad resolution. This is going to take a while, so we don’t have any sort of release date. And while we hope the result will be Universal, it’s way too early to know if there will be some weird issue that crops up to prevent that.

And we can’t make artwork full screen, the original asset pipeline was 640 x 480. But it will be bigger, and scrolling will be greatly reduced.

17. gatizo

gatizo Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Great news! I'm sure I'm not alone in not minding in the least that the artwork won't be full screen. As long as the text is nice and clear (and sufficiently large for old eyes ;)) I'll be delighted.

If there could be co-ordinated save files across devices, that would be the icing on the cake. Any chance that that might happen?

18. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    You should try upscaling your artwork in Photoshop, and play around with the different filter options. With the right settings, the results can be quite impressive, a lot better than you might think.

19. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Germany
    I second this! This would be an awesome feature as games can take quite a while and with icloud savegame sync you'd be able to play anywhere @home on iPad and on the go on the iPhone :cool:

20. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Really glad to know that you are working towards universal. I'll gladly pay full price when universal hits :)