Universal King of Dragon Pass - (by A Sharp)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Aww, thank you!

2. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    Yes, the text size will be larger. (Not 2x though, because then you would still have to scroll frequently.)

The idea of iCloud sync certainly came to mind, but in practice, I’m not sure how many people it will benefit.

And in some cases, you may actually want different players on your different devices.

More importantly, it’s iCloud sync. What happens if you play on both devices offline, and then turn off Airplane Mode? This is not just turning on a switch, it’s a fair amount of work.

3. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    In most cases, it's possible to control how the devices sync, if they do at all, and even what saves to sync, so that should be no problem ;)

For me, iCloud sync primarily means that my savefiles are also retained in the cloud, leaving me free to delete games as I please, and resume my progress at a future date.

4. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    There’s also the additional 100 MB that would take (above the size of the 640 x 480 art). That would be OK for a pure HD version, but if the app is Universal, that’s a pretty big price for iPhone/iPod touch users to pay.

5. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    Although they also get the benefit of the better graphics, because offline upscaling makes considerably better use of their retina display than the built-in software can. All I'm saying is it's worth looking at.

6. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I just got the game... HOLY #%! is there a downloadable full manual for the game somewhere?

7. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
  8. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    But Retina Display is yet a third size, though I guess one could use that instead of iPad size. Although for this game, 960 px is not a terribly useful size on iPad.

Note that KoDP does have a fair amount of Retinal artwork, just not the large ones.

9. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Ah thanks! Oh and it's a nice website for newbies too :D

10. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I'd had my eye on this and picked it up due to the sale, and boy is it great. It's totally engrossing and almost impossible to put down. The art is gorgeous too.

11. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Just curious, are there plans to bring this to the Mac App Store, or to make an OS X version? I really want to play this game on the big screen!

12. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    iPad is a much bigger screen than it’s ever been on before!

But no. It would be an entirely new development effort to do Mac (or Windows). I realize current Mac users who don’t have iOS devices have the hardest time playing (since Macs don’t have Classic or Windows). At least Windows owners can run the original game if they have no iOS device.

13. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't mind this is not going universal, I am fine with what I have now. :p

14. Foehammer117

Foehammer117 Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Able seaman
    Sweden
    How do I get more goods?

15. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Crap sales over, Majorly bummed, thought it went through today :(

16. magihiro

magihiro Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    It's worth double its regular price. Just pick it up.

17. TotallyImba

TotallyImba Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I dont really understand the game concept but I am really interested, just want to be sure before I splash out for it.

Do you battle mythical beasts like Dragons in this game?

18. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    #158 Andiron, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
    That's only possible if you run into a battle as an event.
    I actually had an event in my game where my exploration party discovered a dragon's cave. I sent a group of warriors to kill the dragon and got a LOT of cows-worth of goods but there wasn't any turn based element to the battle - I just selected how many troops to send and then it gave me the battle results.

The normal battle mechanics in this game when you attack other clans or have to defend against other clans' attacks are not "interactive" in the sense that you select the types of attacks in a turn based manner. Its more like the real old strategy games from the 80s where you select the number of troops to fight, pick your strategy (charge straight in, evade, etc), what your goal is (plunder, take land,etc), select how much magic you want to use in the fight, and so forth. Then the battle results are provided to you. Sometimes a battle event will happen that you have to make a decision for one of your leaders but its more of an input->output type system which can reward/punish you more based on how much risk you take.

Its really more of a strategy like game with random events that pop up that you have to manage. Your choices in those events can help you later on in the game or can hurt you in the future.

19. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA
    Eli’s review covered it pretty well. Your goal is not to fight dragons, but to unify (not conquer) Dragon Pass.

20. ddunham

ddunham Active Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Software Developer
    Tacoma, WA