Universal Kingturn RPG - (by Mangobile)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 11, 2013.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Kingturn Underworld is being ported to iOS estimated for September/October. Here's a link to the thread in upcoming games: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=193675. Controllable undead armies will rule.

2. cretpetpet

cretpetpet Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2011
    Ostia
    My bad memory then. Ok, moving on.
    I ve reach 67 scenarios conquered. And met the king, And see no new campaign quest, guess this is the end?
    Nice story, and character too. Good job guys. I really enjoy it

3. witedahlia

witedahlia Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2012
    Aww, great, Savant! Hope you enjoy it!

4. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Mangobile. Designer & Developer
    Germany
    Kingturn successor - Artwork

Since our team is quite bad at judging graphics, I'd really appreciate some player input.

For the Kingturn successor, we've been asking an artist to provide some samples for a possible 2D art style.

Any opinions on the attached samples (the first one comes from Kingturn for a better comparison)?

Attached Files:

5. nestor

nestor Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Hi niebau! I like the first design (after the old mage) a lot more than the other two. I think it fits much better with the current theme, which I love. The last 2 almost look a bit too cartoony, in my opinion. :)

I think it's awesome that you're coming here asking for opinions. Goes to show how dedicated Mangobile is to the players!

6. Kidkaos2

Kidkaos2 Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Personally, I like the art in Kingturn so I'm fine with #1 to begin with.

#4 I don't like. The big head is too cutesy chibi like.

#2 is kind of small and hard to make out the details. In a simple robed mage that's no big deal but I'd like to see what a knight or paladin in detailed plate armor would look like.

#3 has the best size, proportions, and detail. The spiky blue hair doesn't appeal to me, it's too anime for me. This is Kingturn not Final Fantasy. But other than that I like it.

I'd like to see figure #1 done like figure #3. The quality of #3, the size and colors and details, is good but keep the standard Dungeons and Dragons/Lord of the Rings type fantasy feel rather than going anime.

7. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Let's see:
    4) I don't like, looks too much like from one of those badly drawn cartoons (think Spongebob, or Simpsons). Eyebrows look weird (niebau, remember Theo Waigel? THAT kind of eyebrow :p )
    3) The level of detail is nice; the eyebrows look weird, Theo Waigel again. And the legs and feet look odd, but I cannot explain why.
    2) Reminds me of old JRPGs, and looks quite nice. If you like that style, go for it.
    1) I like the old "Mangobile style". But I think you need to improve on it for the next game. Doesn't have to be at the upper end of what an iPad4 can handle (think hypothetical Infinity Blade 3). Look at the Ravenmark games: The graphics are good and detailed, but not highend.

8. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #508 undeadcow, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

Ultimately I prefer figure 3 because of the slightly more realistic style and detail with figure 2 as a second choice.

For figure 3, the realistic detail and projected strength makes the image feel like a better choice for combat. The color composition of the pale cape with the dark armor is visually appealing. However, even that style might need some refinement, for example the figure 3 staff orb grasp is hard to decifer (at first glance I thought it was a skull orb) and the dark belt blends in to the navy blue hued suit. Using more color contrasts to highlight and isolate details would strengthen figure 3 further. Figure 3 has nice details and suggests a capable unit.

The body of figure 2 has a more whimsical surreal style that I like but the slightly psychadelic vibe doesn't match the tone of any other Mangobile games. If a whole game was developed in that style I would find it enjoyable oddball and literally fantastic but balancing an oddball art design with challenging gameplay might be challenging. However, the figure 2 face to me looks scared and wimpy to a fault.

Figure 4 seems hard to judge because to me the artistic quality (not necessarily the style) of the head seems inferior to the others, if it was better drawn I'd be able to tell easier. However, I don't think the short cubby graphics would work very well.

Thanks for polling us, glimpsing potential artwork makes me really excited to see what Q1 2014 has in store from Mangobile. I assume this is an indication the Kingturn successor will not be 3D (I prefer 2D anyway).
    I agree, I think looking at the image samples gave me retro JRPG flashbacks from my childhood (which is a good thing), even thought the Mangobile samples are more refined and detailed.

To follow that tangent, comparing figure 2 and 3 they look similar with figure 3 seeming more mature; it would be interesting if Mangobile took a page from the Final Fantasy 1 playbook and showed units mature over time or at a pivotal moment. For example; in Final Fantasy 1 the red "fighter" advances to a "knight" as pictured [Edit: pictures not working, here's a link with examples - http://www.uffsite.net/ff1/classes.php]

9. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany

I can see already this was a very good idea.
    I'd suggest to wait a little bit now, and see whether there are further opinions.
    Then I will sum up the results and ask the artist to make a second version.
    Right now it seems to be something between version 3 and 2 with refinements.
    No worries about the artist, by the way. She gets paid already for this.

Question: Would it make sense to create a separate thread for similar discussions (also related to game design)? After all this is about a different game.
    Maybe under the category 'General Game Discussion and Questions'?
    Or is there a better place?

10. undeadcow

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I advise making a separate thread under Upcoming Games, that might give you a specific place to focus on the successor to Kingturn and post various items especially if it might be something you do more frequently (once you decide on a specific name a moderator can edit the thread title). Since things are really formative posting under General Games Discussion would work too.

11. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Kind of late to the party, but yeah, sprite 2 is my favorite, reminding me of old-school RPGs.

Happy to see lots of Kingturn love here - these games haven't left my android phone ever since I bought them.

Cheers.

12. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    This just made me smile

13. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    To me figure 2 is the best. I enjoy the wizard in figure 1 but like figures 3 and 4 it seems to lean more towards the recent trend of cartoon characters in games, and I do not like that art style. Figure 2 is minimalistic while still offering you an easy view of what type of character you would expect this to be. I think a white haired wizard for this pic would make it better. When I think wizard I think white haired and strong. Maybe change the pink sleeve to black to stand out from the overcoat and then a blue orb in the staff. So overall figure two style with white hair, black sleeves, and while we're at it, change the necklace to blue as well.

Just my two cents lol

14. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany
    #514 niebau, Jun 21, 2013

To add my 2 cents as well, I'm still torn between 3 and 2.
    2 looks classic indeed, but I find the proportions a little bit extreme, especially if zoomed out.

But also for 3 something just doesn't add up with the proportions.
    I've tried to fix that by messing (up) around with number 3 a little bit (face smaller, legs shorter, hair changed).

Well, it looks like I've just reinvented Frodo now :)

Attached Files:

15. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    #515 Sheinfell, Jun 21, 2013
    In "Upcoming Games" , and maybe in the open Developer subforum.

16. witedahlia

Jul 28, 2012
    I like sprite number 2. It has cleaner lines and I like the proportions. I'd settle for 3, but I prefer 2.

17. niebau

niebau Well-Known Member

Apr 5, 2011
    Germany

I've been asking our artist to provide a sample for a 'Female Knight' as well.

At least the Knight to the right would need a lot of refinement, I think.
    She looks too much like the friendly neighborhood-mum, imho.

Attached Files:

18. witedahlia

Jul 28, 2012
    Yes, I think that is why I liked sprite 2 and commented about the clean lines and proportions. The female knight on the left looks much better, perhaps because it's got fewer details to worry about (?) Whatever the case, I totally go with sprite 2 all the way #

19. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Definitely sprite 2 once again.

I like the way is is going, looking forward to this new game :)

Would you also retrofit the new characters into past games, out of curiosity?

Cheers!

20. Yerti1

Yerti1 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 8, 2012
    Definitely like the two on the left. The knight on the right especially looks cartoony