Universal Knightmare Tower (by Juicy Beast Studio)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 31, 2013.

1. bluspacecow

bluspacecow Well-Known Member

May 3, 2012
    *cocks head to side*

This is actually a thing ?

I didn't think Touch Arcade or it's users condoned using pirated copies of a game.

That's effectively what getting a copy of the game outside the App store is given the official website for the game only lists the App Store as a download method for downloading the iOS version. Versions written for Ouya or the Google Play store wouldn't work on iOS devices AFAIK so logically that means they pirated it.

Guys don't pirate this. It's $2.99 USD. That's around the cost of a cup of coffee. I think we've all had a bad cup of coffee in our lives so it's not that much of a financial risk. Which this game isn't. I know you'll love it

#totally not employed by Juicy Beast or am I a shill.

2. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Interesting! Sounds like they added even more fun to that mechanic! How are these tilt controls? Are they like Ridiculous Fishing in the sense that I can play the game while I'm laying down, and the controls will work just fine?

Oh pirates are rampant on here. They just don't show themselves usually. Generally the public opinion is that pirates on the App Store are disgusting wastes of life, but who knows? Maybe 50% of those folk also pirate... so whatevs.

Pirating sucks, and I despise it, but I can't help with getting it taken offline, because that's just impossible :(

3. Louis Ace

Louis Ace Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2013
    Hmmm, not sure if I should get this game.

4. bluspacecow

May 3, 2012
    Despite the controls being fine tuned , well oiled and generally AMAZABALLS they can't handle you lying down very well.

The game plays in Land scape mode.

This means if your lying down and your holding the device like in portrait mode it'll detect you as tilting the device to the maximum to the left/right meaning your guy is on the extreme left or right side of the screen.

But if your lying down but are holding the device like in Landscape mode you can still play if a little weirdly (as your head needs to be crooked up a bit)

And when I say holding the device in portrait mode I mean holding it up/down versus on it's side.

PS If your unlock Portrait Orientation it will switch orientation if you flip the device up side down but it won't flip from Landscape -> Potrait

5. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Well, I could boot up Splashtop and play the Flash version...
    Seriously though...Burrito Bison 2...MAKE IT HAPPEN!

6. JohnHiboy

JohnHiboy Member

Feb 15, 2013
    I hate tilt, really. But here, woaw ! It works so well ! You guys did a great job :)

7. bluspacecow

May 3, 2012
    LOL

I don't work for Juicy Beast :p

8. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    Bought because it looks just fantastic but ai'm sure this will be on sale pretty soon

9. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Yeah it's pretty rad man. And like the other guy said, I wouldn't recommend playing while laying down. The tilt controls are silky smooth and perfect for this game. This coming from someone who swore off tilt controls! :D

A definite buy in my book.

10. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    All right, it looks like I am going to buy this, indubitably! :D

One more question: how are the unlockables? Are there a lot? What will keep me playing for a while? :D

11. proof21

proof21 Well-Known Member

May 25, 2012
    This^^

12. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

All the games mentioned were designed from scratch with iOS framework.

Flash is a notoriously crappy platform for memory management. They would need to design the game from scratch to play perfectly on those devices.

The reason this argument is so irritating is that it constantly comes up at every game that doesn't support your device that is well below the threshold.

Your geek bench score is less than 1/5th that of the current generation, you don't even have the full power of an iPhone 4, as the architecture of the iPod 4 is less than, the same as the iPod 5.

What I'm getting at is that if this was android, your device wouldn't be able to run the majority of the games, as developers there don't have any desire to go that far above and beyond to try and support an old device. Apple and the developers are way more than generous with the support they provide. An iPhone 4 is still going to support iOS 7, that's 4 generations with some major OS changes, good luck getting anything like that anywhere else.

At this point, your hardware is highly outdated. It's running hardware that's from 2010. I'm not saying it's nice when developers are able to create from scratch or port from a platform that doesn't have problematic memory management. But you're at a point where you are running on fumes.

13. bluspacecow

May 3, 2012
    I'm not sure why you feel Flash being a crappy platform for memory management has any relevance here.

If you have a look through the Console Logs Knightmare Tower is using a combination of Open GL & Unity. Not sure how Open GL factors into it but there's more then a few diagnostic messages in the console logs to do with Open GL.

As for why the other games load on the older OS yet this doesn't that's something Juicy Beast would need to look into with the developers of those games. It could be they're using tricks to help it load on those devices that are unsuitable to use for Knightmare Tower. Or they may be able to offer the Juicy Beast developers tips on getting it to load on those older devices (cutting graphics down maybe?)

14. mintyray

mintyray Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2012
    I can't decide either, especially after reading that four letter word, T-I-L-T. I'll wait & see. No rush.

15. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Pretty much finished the game last night in about 4 hours; I just have a couple of upgrades with one more category left before maxing them out, but I can get to the end with minimal trouble. Just have to beat the boss. Which, by the way, is an awesome fight.

Still, I definitely feel like I've gotten my money's worth, even if the game is a tad on the short side. Games like this aren't long by design, after all. And once endless mode unlocks, it should become a fun high-score chaser. Also, the controls are incredibly responsive and easy to get used to, the graphics are great and the music is catchy. The sense of speed later on in the game when you really start flying upwards is also great.

Recommended!

16. rebelliusnigglet

rebelliusnigglet Active Member

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm loving this game, just rescued the 5th princess but on the next run it crashed on me. Weird. Anyways, a great game. I highly recommend it. Good time waster.

17. omthk

omthk New Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Had my eye on this one for a while, and it hasn't disappointed. I'm reading it's a bit on the short side, but I've already gotten my money's worth.

18. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    To the guys on the fence, just get it. It has plenty for you to play and you will probably love every minute of it like I do. Even if you're concerned about tilt, live on the "wild side" for once and get this so you too can have a blast playing it.

To everyone else who needs better hardware; the way I look at it this is one of the motivators of getting a new upgraded device so you can enjoy this title along with many others surely on their way. I have an iPhone 4 which is barely holding on to these newer demanding games and it just makes me want to upgrade that much more. ;)

19. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    For the record, even after saving all princesses and achieving all upgrades, I can see coming back to this just because of the insane game play.

20. oldgamer dude

oldgamer dude Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2013
    It's crashed a couple of times for me after the 5th princess. But it's too damn fun to stop playing! I hope they add more content because this is a great premise. I'm tempted to check out burrito bison after playing this gem, but I see it's published by ravenous games and now contains IAP. But it is only 99 cents and if the IAP isn't too obtrusive.

Anyways having a blast with knightmare tower.