Universal Knights of Pen & Paper - (by Behold Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 31, 2012.

1. RottenRedRod

RottenRedRod New Member

Aug 16, 2012
    Oh wow this game is fun. I recommend anyone who likes RPGs to make the plunge.

2. DonDepre

DonDepre New Member

Nov 1, 2012
    I see something strange that I think it can be a bug.

The Paladin skill, Leader Strike, don't make any more damage than a regular attack. I have attack 6, and all my hits make 6 of damage. That skill should give a +11 bonus to attack, but when I use it, I still make 6 damage.

3. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Bought and installed. Definitely looking forward to playing this game! Sorta gives me a Kairosoft vibe.. but this looks way more interesting and fun.

4. stbassy

stbassy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 7, 2011
    Game Impressions

SUPER game. Brings back so many memories. Including the uber-eager little brother with +5 initiative. HAHAHA.
    This is one indie game I'm more than happy to support.

Anyone who has played pen and paper RPG will know the drill.

For those who dont, here's a quick summary.
    You begin by selecting 2 players... and choose both who is playing (giving different play bonuses), and the class (such as wizard, warrior, rogue, druid, etc).
    You also play the dungeon master, which basically sets the difficult of the game and changes the quest. For example, when you come to the first town, you can choose between a slaying quest, a gather X item quest. And you can choose what to slay (offering different difficulties), and so on.
    There are 2 campaigns, but I wont say much about that. You can find out for yourself.
    The sweet part is, players always make comments about the quests or events... such as... "I wanna kill something!" . or .... assign a battle with 5 bats for your meager level 1 characters and they'll say "You're kidding me"/"ok... where's my loaded dice...."
    Quirks like that keep the game interesting.

5. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    it is a bug indeed (fixed in next version), thanks tho. :3

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
  7. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Game Impressions

In setting and theme, this is one of the most innovative and charming concepts I've seen since the inception of the App Store. Or of RPGs in general ;) Mechanics-wise, it is mostly just a casual turn-based party RPG, but the idea of simulating not the fantasy warriors themselves, but the group of roleplayers who sit down around the table to portray them, is so quirky and intriguing I'm going to keep at it, even though this genre usually needs to present me with a LOT of complexity to keep me tapping.

However, devs (and I know the chance of this is slim, since I've only seen it done some very few times), are there any plans of improving the English localization? Knights is a rather dialogue-heavy title, and the current writing and narrative significantly impacts the immersive qualities, and actually stands in the way of the novel concept.

I like the idea of earning currency during adventures to unlock new campaigns. However, to complete the parodic angle, I'd rather see it renamed from gold to "DM Favour", or something along those lines (suggesting that what the players actually earn is their dungeon master's willingness to run more campaigns and allow more classes and races).

I also wouldn't mind seeing the unlockables and currency system expanded to include new abilities, legendary weapons, possibly even new enemies, etc (as long as this does NOT become a vessel for IAP sales, or unbalance adventures, of course).

8. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    thanks for your feedback!

Well, I was responsible for the english mistakes/mispells/etc, judge me! :( haha We know how it may change your whole experience during gameplay and we will totally work on that (not just because you've asked but its something we discussed a lot for the last days). For now, what I can say is that it has been improved and for this next version at least the mispelling/typos are 100%. We also plan to translate (all text baloons/quest related) it to portuguese, spanish and maybe a few more languages because the game is flexible in a way we can do that. So I believe it's a matter of time.

The money in-game indeed was a terrible choice. When we released the beta for a few friends someone even told us: "WHAT, ARE YOU CHARGING REAL MONEY FOR THIS? NO ONE IS BUYING THAT CRAP." haha It's funny how people react when they think on the in-app possibility. The currency char ($) was not the best one indeed but the money thing was because we wanted to make it viable through saves, we wanted this meta/"inception" thing like: you friend (dungeon master) calls you out to play RPG and you earn RPG-money that can buy outside-RPGworld stuff and also its the money you can spend on other save slots and WTH? We expected to be a mindblowing thing or anything like that and that's why we used the "currency" like the dollar sign, to represent the dungeon master money. The Master Influence makes a lot of sense to me but I don't think it would have this "mindblown" effect.

I understand your thoughts about adding even more stuff (spells/monsters/items/etc) via gold in game but the more dependent we make the game on earning gold to spend on more unlockable things, the more "in-app" based becomes the game in my opinion. You have already tons of specific ways to spend gold in game so if we're adding a new spell for every class then every person should earn that spell for free. If there are more blacksmith upgrades like legendary ones, it shouldnt be unlockable by gold like: "unlock this by getting this in-app", never! haha

We're devs and we do that for living but we're also gamers. :D

9. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    I like having a few spelling errors, it keeps things real. :D

10. jamsie07

jamsie07 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Any plans to optimized for iphone 5?

11. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    next version too! it's already fixed in our code but it takes a few days to be approved ._.

12. iEdGamer

iEdGamer Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2012
    Ha! Amazing and down to earth post!

13. Daxmort

Daxmort Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    The above explanation and reply to the worries of others is one of the things that has encouraged me now to buy the game, at 4AM GMT, in addition to all of the nice things said by the buyers. I want to see if all of these good things are true. Don't let me down, guys! :D

14. Daxmort

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    And just to add, having made characters, gotten to the first act and started whaling on rats; the presentation, sound and even how much of the humour you'd find amongst the groups amuses me. At least two of the characters sound like people I know. :p I don't think I'm going to bet let down at all.

15. casualty

casualty Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Cool thing I just noticed: you can hit piles of rocks and trees for a dice roll to find goods. Nice touch!

16. kazcat42

kazcat42 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Game Impressions

This game is great! I still can't believe how such a simple concept has drawn me in.

As for the dialog, it is 100% understandable, if not 100% fluent. I am pretty sure that if the dev asks for for volunteers to help localize the game he would get plenty. TA is a helpful place :p

Anyways to anyone who is on the fence... BUY THE GAME NOW. Easily a 5 star iOS game.

17. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    For what it's worth, the spelling/grammar issues are what made me dismiss this title after watching a few minutes of gameplay in spite of finding other factors highly appealing. The above is likely to make me take a second look though.

18. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    #78 gty, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    Someone a few days ago actually did ask to check every text (its an excel file) and he/she would fix everything for us since we placed his/her name on credits. I found it amazing and definitely accepted that help but we're still waiting for this person's answer. If we don't get an answer within one day, will anyone step ahead? I'll post here if needed and thanks in advance. <3

And oh, again, I apologize for the english mistakes. This will get better. :)

19. casualty

casualty Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    It's a shame that some find the grammatical/spelling mistakes off-putting... they seriously aren't that bad. Wouldn't the world be lacking if the phrase went "All your bases belong to us"?

20. Daxmort

Nov 1, 2009
    United Kingdom
    As someone else said, even with what's in there at the moment, the game is 100% understandable, but obviously to make it look more professional, proofreading would be better. Hope they reply soon, in that case, but I'm sure whatever happens, the game will remain pretty stellar!