Universal Knights of Pen & Paper - (by Behold Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Smozi

Smozi Member

Sep 19, 2011
    Loving the game so far! But I had one question, my party was wiped out once and rezzing everyone was shockingly expensive... is this how it's meant to be? Makes me want to avoid risk more, that's for sure.

2. KevinM

KevinM Active Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Co-Founder, Witching Hour Studios
    Singapore
    been unproductive for the last hour or so while playing ... lol. great game so far .. thoroughly enjoying it!

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I would be willing to do this also! Just send me a private message here on the forums if you need me.

4. Fallen_Grace

Fallen_Grace Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Ohh,happy to see a dev here,I wanted to say thank you for making this game,but had no idea how to contact you guys :)

I got it yesterday and played 2+ hours straight before going to bed,so as you can see I had tons of fun...love the style,dialogs,quirky humor and gameplay...some quests might become a tad grindy at times (expecially if,like me,one is very cautious with fights) but it never detracts from the fun.

There's a few english mistakes,yeah,but honestly nothing really bad or that would lower one's enjoyment for the game,so don't worry there mate.

And kudos for the reference to Journey :D

Looking forward to more campaigns and content from you guys!

5. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I like.

Oh, how I like. This might be the first time in a while there is more than one game I would vote for on the GOTW.

6. jakemat94

jakemat94 Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2012
    #86 jakemat94, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    Blacksmith is kinda broken at low levels. I wasted the 140 gold I spent over an hour or so getting on trying to upgrade something twice and both failed. Blacksmith didn't even gain exp. Seems like a waste of gold.

Besides my rant I think the game is pretty great albeit grindy a lot.

7. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Paranoia was good for a laugh, thank god for clones. Books themselves were brilliant to flick through too.

8. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    I would also be willing to assist with the English translations.

Other than that and the ridiculous price and time for blacksmith upgrades, great game so far!

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Are the blacksmith upgrades permanent?

Like, I just bought an upgrade for my rogue's weapon - will that persist across games?
    If not... I don't really see an excuse for the 7 hour wait.
    Same with the Blacksmith and Enchanter store level-ups...

10. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Oh my! Just woke up and read this thread. This sounds amazing I'm off to download it now.

11. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Potential spoiler on grindstones and mushrooms, in case you don't know about it.

You can get grindstones in the Devil's Den, by clicking the rocks that are shining. You get a dice roll for each rock, one new rock every 2h, up to a maximum of 4 at once. The same with mushrooms in the forests. It's just a way for you to balance blacksmith upgrades and risk.

Also, you can abandon quests, and go back to them at a later stage. This was useful for me when doing the "Collect" quests that jumped from level 5 Apples, to level 16 carrots - which I wasn't able to do. I abandoned them and then came back when my party was ready.

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Sounds like the best way to enjoy the game is to be a non-native English speaker! Lucky me, I am German, so I usually don't notice most translation errors. But I'd give a sh!t anyway. The game is just too much fun, so the translation is "bearable". ;)

13. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    spoiler #1 about blacksmiths:
    it's not just in the Den of Devil, it's on every den/dungeon in game, every 2 hours, tap the mining vein and you'll have a chance to gather 1 grindstone. same thing to the mushrooms to upgrade your enchanter, every 2 hours, tap the shinning mushroom on every forest and you'll have a chance to gather 1 mushroom

spoiler #2 about carrots lvl 16:
    you can buy all 20 carrots needed for 40 gold in the enchanter shop, just tap on the item 20 times. haha

spoiler #3 about carrots lvl 16:
    that's the last quest to unlock the hunter class

:)

For you guys that stepped ahead for the localization thing, thanks a lot.

I was so afraid to use a mention from a '1992 game because it didn't sound very right and I thought people wouldn't remember the reference, so, another spoiler (campaign spoiler):
    a npc in an specific moment says: "Welcome to die!" from x-men arcade (1992).

14. Snakethesniper

Jul 5, 2012
    Looks great but I'm worried about the IAP, is it necessary to enjoy the game?

15. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    Since I'm one of the devs you may find suspicious if I just say "you don't need iap to enjoy the game". So I encourage you to read previous posts, more people were worried about this too. :3

16. wicro

wicro Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Scotland
    What a brilliant concept for a game ! Bravo. While I was won out by the smart game play of ARC squadron this game has actually taken up more of my time, very addictive. I hope the dev(s) get richly rewarded for such innovation , humour and obvious love for the genre.

There seems a ton of game play in there too, altough i have only scratched the surface. Thoroughly recommended.

17. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Haha, you're devious :D

And yes, I already have the hunter class, and I've defeated you guys in game. Then I purchased the second campaign and started it with you and one of your colleagues, but didn't play it ;)

One question: is the second campaign a real campaign with a story? I find the story to be one of the best parts of the game, which keeps me going. I hope the future campaigns will have a fun and long story as well :)

Also, please make sure that the translation doesn't lose your sense of humor, please review it before publishing it!

Cheers,
    Paulo

18. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    This game is great!

19. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    We were going to release without the second campaign but then we realized that we could show whoever bought it that the game can be much different than a single rpg campaign with lots of texts. So the second campaign is all about leaderboards and competing with friends. We, devs, spent enough time competing with ourselves during the first campaign so we found it funny enough to make it. More will come, definitely. The game is flexible in a way we can make lots of campaigns either short or long with different purposes (like #1 and #2).

Yes! Let's hope not! :D

20. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    ...I'm playing it on Android for the past week - I actually have sent you guys some emails for bugs and such :) - so just to make this clear:

- does the second campaign have an actual end?
    - are there leaderboards in Android as well?

Cheers, and congrats - I'm happy that the game is being so well received!

Paulo