Universal Knights of Pen & Paper - (by Behold Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 31, 2012.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    For those who are scared off by the Kariosoft comparions, don't be. I honestly never could get into "management sims", but really am enjoying this. The only thing that makes this different than a casual RPG is that you have more control, as others have mentioned, in choosing everything from the size of your party to the monsters and quests you take on. But it's far from overwhelming.

I was a little on the fence when I first saw this thinking of Kariosoft and the fact that I hadn't played a pen and paper RPG along the lines of D&D in at least 25 years. Frankly, if I were to pick up one of those games now, I'd probably be at a loss as to how to play.

This has the spirt of those games, but is streamlined enough to make it enjoyable regardless of whether you've played those types of games before or not.

Since I can't play ARC and don't have the space for NFS:MW, this is currently leading for my choice as GoTW. Great, original take on turn-based RPGs.

2. Fallen_Grace

Fallen_Grace Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Well,in most rpgs Initiatve is used to calculate in what order players and monsters act in a certain turn.

3. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    First off, while I'm quoting you awp69, this is not aimed at you, just quoting for the emphasis of the statement made.

Ok this has been baffling (and annoying) me for a while now. Where are people getting this 'Kairosoft vibe' from? The art style? It's just pixel art, certainly not invented by Kairosoft.

This has just been a pet peeve of mine for a while now, I often see games compared here to other games which are in no way alike apart from maybe graphical style. And I've seen this confused a number of times by people in those threads thinking the comparisons are based on gameplay, while they're totally different games that just look alike.

While it is definitely human nature to judge things by appearance, try to keep that in check when it comes to games, I mean, I'd never ever had gotten 10000000, to name a game, just on appearance alone, but I'd have missed a great game if I did.

Anyway /rant mode disengage

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I think its more in line with dungeon village than ALL of kairosoft games with the management part.

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #125 awp69, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    I actually completely agree and that's one reason why I said what I did. This is really nothing like a Kairosoft game. But since it was mentioned a few times in this thread (and that alone put me on the fence - but I need to learn to ignore those types of comparisons), I thought I'd try to put it to rest that this is NOT like their games.

6. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Well, only if you're really trying to struggle to find a comparison. They're still wildly different games.

7. Talaen

Talaen Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    Great concept, solid implementation

I'm now around 5-6 hours in and loving the game. The balance of humor, nostalgia, and customization for your party have made this my #1 game right now.

A few comment/suggestions to the dev team:

1. I would prefer to not start a new quest to use the unlockable characters (and don't want to delete my existing ones and lose their progress). How about adding the ability to "store" characters (stats, XP, inventory, etc) at the starter town and swap them out as desired?
    2. I appreciate that IAP is NOT even a remote requirement. I have enough gold to do anything I immediately want to and at no point have I hit a "pay wall" yet. I may eventually purchase through the IAP both to fast-track some unlocks and to support ongoing development.
    3. The grammar and syntax of the text is flawed in numerous places (as noted, English was not the dev team's primary language) but this is only a minor annoyance and can be easily cleaned up in a future patch. I would suggest investing into this area for future content releases though.
    4. It seems like the primary equipment can only be upgraded through the blacksmith; I think it would be a great addition to allow finding equipment through quests in the future. I imagine an epic quest for each character class that has you work through a series of very challenging encounters (perhaps ones where a boss is immune to physical or magical damage) to collect components and then have the blacksmith assemble and the enchanter to enchant the item (requiring additional supplies, of course).

This game is an instant classic for me and I can't wait to see where they go with the game from here!

8. tonydeli7

tonydeli7 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Freelance Computer Engineer
    Greece
    Great game! Love it!

9. GR3NADE

GR3NADE Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Czech republic
    Devs:

First of all I really love this game. It's excellent and I like that I am that person who have to choose choose the difficulty but you can have bad luck and face pretty tough challenge. I also love your sense of humor. I am not native english speaker but I can understand everything.

Any plans to add more content in future updates? I'd love some endless mode. I can see when you have to choose campaign, there is third one "in development". How often will we get new content updates?

One more question not only for devs: What will happen if I'll have all characters dead and I will not have enough money to ressurect them?

10. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    I don't know, but I imagine it would be game over. You could try resurrecting one, and then fight easy battles to get enough money to resurrect all. But otherwise, I'd say it's game over.

I would suggest always having some spare money in the bank, for travels, etc, and to be risky, sure, but if you see that you have little chance of making it out of a battle alive, try to escape from the battle before you get your party killed. :)

11. Samurai

Samurai Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2011
    I think the only way to prevent a game over would be buying money via in App Purchase.

12. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    thanks for your feedback and suggestions.
    1) will take note on that and suggest other devs. we have discussed this once and I believe it won't be changed because since its released changing the way we save the game may bug something and lots of games will be deleted/bugged.
    2) thank you again!
    3) we're already taking care of it.
    4) it's a nice suggestion and the unique/legend item quest or something like that is pretty neat and I`ll also forward this.

Since we're small team, we'll fix bugs we have to fix and then try to focus on content! We have planned already lots of content to come. :3

want me to spoil this? haha Im going to let you discover yourself.

13. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    no, never.

14. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    Okay, so seriously... how bad is the grammar in this game, considering I saw two glaring mistakes in the description alone?

15. Talaen

Talaen Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    It is mostly in the syntax of the word choice and sentence flow, as opposed to blatant typos/spelling errors.

I would call it noticeable but by no means should that concern be the reason you do not try this gem of a game.

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The in-game text is being worked on. By me. Maybe others, I don't really know. :p

17. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    As I posted before, in-game texts won't be a problem next update and I'm sorry that errors occurred. :)

18. Talaen

Talaen Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2012
    #138 Talaen, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
    I appreciate the feedback on the suggestions... it is always wonderful to have representatives from a game involved in these forums.

One additional idea would be to allow more direct travel. As I've progressed further in quests, I find myself moving across the map more substantially than go to a town then to the connecting dungeon. Is there a way to skip stopping at each incremental town, waiting for the interface to reload, and then move to the next location?

I'm suggesting the ability to move from a given location to any "known" location on the map in one movement. The travel interface would stay the same (and pace of movement on the map the same, affected by bonuses of course). I would even propose that the gold cost would then be the sum of the parts plus 25% or comparable for "fast travel."

In order to be able to use "fast travel" you would have to visit a location through connecting locations at least once.

Just a thought... I can't wait to see what's next (and I'm not even done with the first campaign yet).

19. Urthop

Urthop Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being totally correct, worthy of a literature price, and 1 being engrish krpg, which you'd better not be playing for a nice understandable story, I'd give it a solid 7. While it's rough in spots, it's never bad enough to not be able to understand what's going on. It's mostly a case of written english from someone that can actually speak it, but doesn't necessarily know how to grammatically correct put it all down in writing. Hell, I've seen worse grammar and spelling from native speakers of the English language :p

20. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    How much customization is involved? What's the level-up process like? Are we looking at skill trees? How's it work?