Universal Knights of Pen & Paper - (by Behold Studios)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The video in the first post should give you a pretty fair idea of what to expect.

2. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    What are the consequences of sleeping? If I sleep often I wouldn't have to waste money on potions...

3. oooooomonkey

oooooomonkey Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Forge World
    Just came to show my love for this game. (Can't believe I nearly passed this up when I first looked at it :eek:)
    Anyway I've only been playing about an hour but already I'm loving it. I've never played a pen an paper rpg or D&D but I have played my fair share of games and RPGs.
    There's just so much to love here the characters, stats, quests, etc etc i love it all. I'm off to play some more but just had to come and say I'm loving it and for £1.49 its a bargain and my game of the week.

4. Tropxe

Tropxe Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    England
    An absolute joy to play. If you like RPGs even a bit, you should really enjoy this, whether we're talking DnD style or classic Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest.

The only catch is that the translation is pretty wonky. Lots and lots of spelling errors, weird phrasing and unclear sentences. The humour still comes across, though, and it's such a lighthearted game it doesn't spoil the mood or anything.

5. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil

The idea of fast travel only after visited the place is indeed interesting (skyrim? haha). :D

I hope you enjoy the whole campaign as much as we did.

6. Kidkaos2

Kidkaos2 Member

Aug 8, 2011
    Are you going to fix the Paladin's leader strikability? I saw someone mention it earlier in this conversation and it never got answered. I too can confirm that it is bugged. It doesn't do the extra damage or add the threat that it is supposed to.

7. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    this game is awesome.. kudos to the dev for developing this mobile jewel !

8. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    This is how RPG should be implemented on a mobile platform. None of that walking around 3D battery draining drama. Just pure RPG goodness.

9. Tropxe

Tropxe Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    England
    #149 Tropxe, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
    The threat does go up, actually. I just checked. The damage isn't affected, though.

On a different note, more female characters please! In keeping with the archetypal nature of the current roster, you could have a teacher, a sporty, tomboyish girl, a goth girl, a Girl Guide (selling cookies or something)... Quite a few possibilities.

10. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    What does blood (bleed?) from the druid's feral ability do?

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I'm not sure what it does specifically here, but in general RPG terms, a bleed is the enemy taking consistent damage over the next several turns.

12. dib

dib Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    It damages the enemy per turn for however long it lasts.

13. gty

gty Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    Brazil
    unfortunatelly, the leader strike ability is bugged and also flash heal is providing threat which wasn't suppose to. it's fixed already but we didn't upload the new version yet because we're taking care (two touch arcade awesome users are helping to fix the english problems) of this big issue first.

yeah, more characters will be available too. (;

14. Tropxe

Tropxe Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    England
    Sounds good. :)

I like the attention to detail in the backgrounds, by the way. For example, you can see the Flying Dutchman in the distance from the beach area.

15. Noah

Noah Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2008
    Male
    Development Manager
    Atlanta, GA
    Can we get the guys from Devil's Attorney to re-write all the text? :)

16. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2010
    The text isn't that bad imo. I still understand it 100%. That said, some adjustments are definitely good but I hope the charm is still preserved.

Yuhu EXP! cracks me up everytime.

17. Mfox76

Mfox76 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2010
    I've hit the pay wall I think, got my party to Lvl 23, I wipped on a multi wave boss battle and don't have any cash to rez...so unless I'm missing something I can either pay for gold to resurrect or start over??? If that's the case that is quite weak:-(

18. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 19, 2010
    Burlingame CA
    "Game over" doesn't have to be the same as "Pay wall", does it? You probably know how to play the game better now and you could probably do better the next time.

19. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This game is great. The mechanics are a little on the simpler side and it's slightly grind intensive, however the theme comes through beautifully and makes the game hugely enjoyable. More importantly, this is how you do consumable iAP. There's a very tangible upper limit on how much you need to spend on iAP to be able to not think of buying gold ever again. If I can pay an extra $5 for a $2 game to make it slightly less grind-y then that's perfectly fine. $7 is closer to the actual worth of the content anyway. It's only the race to the bottom pricing trend that's forcing developers to sell their hard work at much lower prices and making consumers expect unsustainable prices.

20. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

No, this isn't a paywall. The game is completely beatable without dying/costing actual money. Resurrection is expensive, but it's actually really hard to die in this game since running is pretty easy when things get bad.

Also, I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think money is actually shared between saves. Assuming that's the case, you could start another save, have fun with a new combination of characters, and once you've raised enough money, resurrect characters on your first save.

The only thing I've found to be totally ridiculous so far is the cost of items (like potions). I'd rather them be weaker, but usable more often, or something. The Blacksmith 50% chance of failure is pretty terrible as well. Personally, I'd just get rid of the whole failure aspect of smithing. It's not really fun and thematically, it doesn't make sense to me. I'd also get rid of travel cost completely. I'd rather burn gold on something fun like consumables. It can get a little grindy at times when you're stuck halfway across the world from any battles that will give you good amounts of cash, but have no money to travel.

Anyway, don't get me wrong, I still love this game. Just sharing some thoughts on how the money aspect could be better.