Universal Kung Fu Rabbit - (by Bulkypix) - Universal App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Mar 14, 2012.

1. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #41 GoofyJmaster., Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
    I think it may have something to do with the type of iPod. I remember a while back about people having problems on 32 and 64 gig iPods. Whereas, the 8 giggers worked fine because it was their test device. I've seen this a couple times, but if I'm not mistaken, the most recent one i can think of is Darkness Rush -- too many games to keep track of.

But, yeah, I haven't really had too many frame rate problems. I might get occasional dips though. The biggest problem I experience on my iPod is crashing, but I consider that an expected occurrence.

Also, you may have had a bad install. I've gotten those before - re-installed the game and walah!

2. Yes the first levels are just here to act as a tuto. The more you progress, the more the levels are filled. Actually, the best part in the game (from my point of view) is when you have mastered the controls and unlocked the hard mode. :D
    In the hard mode, the levels are completely revisited. Since the player know all the elements, we can put all the game elements in every levels. You will see :), and i hope you will enjoy!

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Alrighty... so, I've been playing this more and more throughout the day, and I've got to say; It's a fantastic platformer. Even though I'm still trying to get use to the physics, the gameplay is fairly challenging, especially in the hard levels (that you unlock with 50 carrots) - but one thing I would love to see is a little marker in the top section of the HUD that shows you how many carrots in the level you have gotten. I know they're short, and it's easy to just go back and replay a level if you've missed one... but it just feels strange not having it there. Also, is there any chance you'll be adding a score system, or maybe a clock, so that there can be some (or... A) leaderboard on GameCenter? It'd add a TON to the gameplay if there was a leaderboard for the fastest time on each of the 3 worlds, for both normal, and hard difficulties... I mean... a TON. I must have spent a good 8 hours with Little Acorns after I beat it just trying to move my way up on ONE of the three leaderboards for fastest times. Not to mention the hours I sunk in actually completing the game, and working my way up both the other timed leaderboards... I really just think it would make the game... more complete.

Anywho...

Thank you for a great platformer, and for listening to player feedback. =o)

Definitely recommend you guys check this out if you're a fan of the genre.

4. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Does the game get better whe. U have the ability to attack enimies and such?

5. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yes, much better. And the hardcore levels are great. =oD

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #46 psj3809, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    Got my first enemies. Enjoying this game a lot more now. Well worth the money

7. That's a quicker, we will do it. Probably in the pause menu, I know this is not perfect, but we already have something like that for the airplay.

You just point out a major subject of discorde among the team :D.
    We don't want to put it on the normal mode because we rather prefer to put the accent on the agility than the speed.
    We could put some time attack features in the hard mode for the more hard core players.
    To tell the truth, That's not planned yet for the next major update, but since it wouldn't take too much dev time, I will put it in our idea box.

Haha, I respectfully think your crazy :p

I've talked of the next major update (i call it major because we will probably release a minor update with bug fixed soon). We plan to put 5 new big levels, hard mode for the bonuses levels, and adjustable controls on the iPad.

8. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    After giving this some serious playtime, I have to agree with syntheticvoid regarding the heavy weight movement... it feels heavy... on the bright side, I like the way you do wall-sliding, not having to press any button to keep sliding down the wall :)

9. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Woohoo!!! All of that sounds great! Thanks so much for being active here on the forums. And yes, ive got a little nutzo in me... Specially when it comes to platformers. =oD

10. santiagojamie

santiagojamie Member

Mar 16, 2012
    Game Impressions

I don't usually like platformers as I tend to get drawn towards games where I can take my time planning out the next move. I have spent my share of time playing games like Squids and Ravenmark.

Even then, from time to time I find myself wanting to give one of them colourful platformers a go as they look quite fun, and the memories of good old times spent with SuperFrog or Traps'n'Treasures in my Amiga days are ever-present in my head.

I heard a lot of good about the League of Evil so I tried that, but was hugely disappointed with the pace of the game. Every level required me to perform a series of perfectly timed stunts, not exceeding 4.02s on average in total, which to my senile hands and stiff fingers seemed near impossible. It was difficult. It was too difficult for me. Instead of being the care-free relaxing adventure that I thought it would be, it caused frustration and dismay.

That's not to say that there is something wrong with the game, as I know many people who enjoy League of Evil immensely and it is a fine, polished product. It's just not for me. Platformers are not for me, I thought. Every time I impaled myself on yet another set of spikes, I had the urge to quote Roger Murtaugh.

All signs seemed to point at the fact that, apparently, I WAS too old for this s**t.

And then I saw Kung Fu Rabbit. It seemed fun, it seemed colourful, the art style was lovely and whimsical, and it had this fantastic oriental feel to it, which I personally adore. But it was still a platformer.

Yet, against my better judgement I decided to give it a go and I am so glad that I did.

Kung Fu Rabbit is absolutely, totally and utterly BRILLIANT. I love it. One of the best games I've ever had on my iPad. The art style is lovely, attention to detail praise-worthy, music relaxing and not intrusive but above all, the gameplay is FUN.

As I run through the beautifully painted levels (the backgrounds are immense, I would love the one with the starlit sky for my wallpaper), I often find myself stop and admire the level of detail (swords on the wall, paintings and them little statues). I can do that because the game doesn't force a speedrun style upon me, which I love.
    I understand that some people may want to challenge themselves even more, so a time Attack Mode probably wouldn't go amiss, as long as it's not incorporated in the normal design of the levels. For me, the ability to take my jumps one at a time without the clock ticking me down, is the main selling point of this game.

It is also for this very reason why the controls don't bother me that much. They can feel a little awkward at times, but in no way does it hinder the joy that comes from playing, mainly because it's so easy to re-position and have another try.

There is nothing I dislike about Kung Fu Rabbit. It is a fun, casual and relaxing adventure presented in the most delightful way, both visually and aurally, and I absolutely love it.

The one thing I would change, and it is in no way a detrimental feature of the game, is the continuity of the story. It started off good with a funny and cool intro, but then the plot seemed to have dropped off a little. I'm currently around 1-18 and the feel is of a bunch of random levels rolled in together rather than a continuous adventure (one level will have a city setting, the next one jungle, and one after that is city again).

I realise this is just a personal quirk, and it probably doesn't bother anybody else, but I thought it's worth mentioning.

Other than that, the game is absolutely brilliant, and I enjoy my every moment with it. Thank you Bulkypix for bringing back the memories and for providing hours of proper fun.

11. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    shill post

XD Just kidding. :p This post and void's later ones in this topic have me pretty convinced, especially considering I've pretty much gotten rid of most of my SMB-inspired platformers, except for the major ones (LoE, Mos Speedrun, etc). Bought. :)

12. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #52 syntheticvoid, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
    Alrighty, now, just to be clear, I'm not saying that each level should have a par time or something, but just having a full time for how long it took to beat a world would be nice, and make it so that there could be leader boards in GameCenter. I understand that adding a par time for every level would be a TON of work, but I didn't think just adding a clock to the game would be too hard, though I could be wrong. But that way, it wouldn't make it so that those who like that they can take their time would feel rushed... Because ther wouldn't be a "beat this time" sort of feel unless they specifically wanted to compete on the leader boards.

Anywho... Just wanted to make my suggestions more clear so no one went off on me for the time idea. I don't want this to be another LOE... Would just like more replayability. =oP

Alrighty...

Oh yeah, guess I could also say that I'm getting a lot more comfortable with the physics. The jumping feels more natural now after putting a couple hours into the game. It's great. The more I play, the more I want to play. And I'm hooked on the hardcore levels. They're fantastic. =oD

Thanks for this great game!

**edit**

So, after TRYING to play Super Lemonaid Factory on my iPad again, I wound up coming back to Kung Fu Rabbit. The static controls really are NOT that bad. It's possible to play the game with them, without too much discomfort. Though I still have issues with the "smart pad" controls and having to readjust them quite a bit, just wanted to say that I'm more comfortable with the controls on my iPad... To anyone wondering. The Dev has said that they're working on making them adjustable, but the game is playable ATM. Anywho... Ladeda, back to playing. Almost completed world 1 hardcore levels... Excited to start on world 2 (I'm halfway through world 2 normal difficulty levels... And it is pretty challenging on normal, so I'm really, REALLY excited about the hardcore levels). Woot!

13. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    No 2nd gen support? :(

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Having just finished the first set of levels, I must say that this is simply outstanding. The videos just don't do this any justice. Yes, the first few levels are easy and yes, it does seem like another run-of-the-mill Super Meat Boy wannabe... but what it does, it does so well and I'll be damned if you're not in love with it by the end of the first "world". I'm not going to go into detail because santiagojamie has that covered, but the IAPs are truly non-obtrusive, there's a shitload of levels (regular, hard and bonus) and yeah...if anything, this should be priced at BulkyPix's normal $2.99. At a buck, this is a ****ing steal. If you're at all a fan of Super Meat Boy or League of Evil and would like to play a version of those games that really doesn't cattle prod you into moving along, you'll absolutely love this. I honestly can't believe both the trailers and Sanuku's video were going to make me miss out on this. Probably one of the most satisfying and surprising bucks I've spent on the App Store in years. :)

15. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    here's my iTunes review...

[​IMG]

Hope it helps someone decide to make a purchase! =oP

16. Andrey1610

Andrey1610 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    Anyone have problem with locked episodes and unsolved bonus levels after relaunch (full close and start)?

17. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Well...you convinced me. Buyin' right now.

18. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    WOOTWOO!! Right on, hope you enjoy it, and don't get mad at me for highly recommending it... =oD

and no... no problems with locked anything or bonus levels after restarting (clearing from my multitasking bar, or even hard resetting my device)

Strange...

19. Andrey1610

Andrey1610 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    I unlocked all episodes with carrots, then completed 2-3 levels in each episode. After relaunch i seen only 1st episode.
    Then i completed ALL levels in 1st episode. In 2nd i found 2 completed levels. After relaunch 2nd episode locked again. In 1st episode all levels completed.

20. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    woah, yup, very strange.

I wouldn't know, as I didn't unlock anything with carrots except for the hardcore levels... =o/

But the developer is here, and has been very supportive so far... so I'm sure you'll be able to get it all straightened out. =o)

Good luck.