Left 4 Dead: Mobile is coming soon to iOS, powered by Unity Engine

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by clever_bug, Feb 16, 2013.

1. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I rather play dead trigger after watching the video......very sadly

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'll provide a summary for everyone on what is showcased in these videos.

Nothing.

Lol, I want like 4 minutes of my life back.

3. Devlin234

Devlin234 Member

Oct 3, 2010
    YES PLEASE! Anyway we can contact the programmers? It's also way to dark and... Is he holding an ak47? Because... That's not in l4d 1...

4. chimpman252

chimpman252 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    Front Staff at Chinese Restaurant
    As long as they change the name for Apple's sake this should do fine-just look at Critical Missions: SWAT!

5. clever_bug

clever_bug Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Just watch the videos on YouTube. These videos were directly uploaded by the progammers, so you can contact them on the comment section. :cool:

6. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    The fact that they made it in Unity, and were able to show us that is impressive. Don't be a jerk. I don't see you using Unity to make this kind of game.

7. Darth Nihilus

Darth Nihilus Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    #27 Darth Nihilus, Feb 18, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
    "You can't criticise something unless you do better derp" :mad: That's a dumb argument against criticism.

I'm not saying the final product can't be impressive, but that footage is not at all, I'm not being a jerk, you're being over sensitive, chill out.

Edit: but y'know? I'm completely overlooking the fact that it's fanmade, so I give you that, I still think you're touchy though lol.

8. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    considering how Valve Time works, and that there is no official announcement of any sort, the soonest we would ever see L4D on the appstore if it was announced tomorrow would be...four years. and by then iOS devices would probably be powerful enough to support Windows and Direct X anyway.

9. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    #29 Darth Nihilus, Feb 18, 2013
    Lol yup, and I'd be pissed if they released L4D for iOS instead of working on HL 3 or HL E3 y'know? XD

10. Triscuitable

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    #30 Triscuitable, Feb 18, 2013
    It's a fanmade game created inside of Unity, which is notoriously stubborn and difficult to utilize in its entirety. Most games that run in Unity do not make full use of what the engine is capable of. It's truly one of the most intimidating programs that I've ever attempted to code in.

I'm saying criticism, while valid, shouldn't be so harsh. These guys are undertaking a huge project.

I wouldn't. Valve probably isn't working on Half Life 3 anymore. The hype went so out of control that they couldn't possibly live up to it. It'd be like Duke Nukem: Forever, except DNF sucked and Valve has never made a crummy game. It's just that the hype would crush it into Gordon Freeman-shaped bits.

11. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    #31 ThreeCubes, Feb 18, 2013
    Well I'm not sure what's so intimidating about a bit of java script ?

I think what darth and others are criticising is the fact that the video is simply not very good. You could do every thing there in less than a day, it's a camera passing over a few boxes in the pitch black. They may have done a lot more work in the background which is not shown but from that video there is not much to get excited about. The video of the menu system is actually a lot more impressive than the gameplay.

The only reason you have noticed this at all is because they have stolen somebody else's artwork.

I hope they change the name and bring something to the App Store that won't get pulled.

12. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Exactly. I don't know why people would be so excited about this otherwise.

13. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    You're breaking my heart cause that makes a lot of sense :(

14. Darth Nihilus

Sep 11, 2012
    Pripyat, Mexico.
    This

15. Triscuitable

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    #35 Triscuitable, Feb 18, 2013
    "A bit" is the most drastic under-exaggeration that I've ever read pertaining to Unity. It's easily one of the most expansive game engines out there, right next to UE3, Frostbite 2, and Cryengine 3. Is it easy to program in? Not really. Is it easy to make a game of this scale in it? You bet your ass. That's why Valve made it in Source; it was their engine and it's very easy to work with.

16. Mirkwood

Mirkwood Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2012
    Sounds interesting but we'll see

17. Danz060391

Danz060391 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Piano teacher
    New Zealand
    Until valve ports this to ios I have no problem with these guys doing it. Just hope it will be good and that it actually makes it to the appstore.

18. clever_bug

Oct 22, 2012
    #38 clever_bug, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    Nope! Left 4 Dead: Mobile is for both iOS and Android (the videos' titles clearly proved that!)

However, a similar project (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Mobile) by another group of Russian programmers (it is not Bad Day by Farom Studio) is only for Android. Hope it also comes to iOS! :cool:

[​IMG]

19. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    That picture reminds me of the crappy older smartphones game poster.

20. clever_bug

Oct 22, 2012
    Update: Two new screenshots of Left 4 Dead: Mobile.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The programmers say that the current build of the game is not polished. Lightning and special effects will be added to the game later.