Universal Legend of Grimrock (by Almost Human ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 6, 2015.

1. macatron

macatron Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    It will initially be released on PC, Mac, iOS and Android systems, and they hope to additionally release it for Windows Phone and Linux down the road. :D

You're quite welcome! I'm just excited to finally see my favorite RPG format become more prominent on iOS. :)

Yeah, the addition of custom dungeon maps for LoG would be icing on an already very tasty cake! :) I'm just hoping that it does well enough on the AppStore that they'll release the sequel. :D

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Good news. Using the ipa trick this does in fact run on an iPhone 6+.
    Text is on the smaller side but completely acceptable. There are universal games with smaller text on display than this. Not sure how it'd be on anything smaller though.
    Haven't gone far so will see.
    (Those not familiar, you need to be jailbroked and edit the app ipa).

Attached Files:

3. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    Anyone tried this on an Ipad2? If so, hows it run?

4. doomowl

doomowl Active Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Is this a offer price or normal price?

5. kukulcan

kukulcan Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    I assume it runs fine as it runs fine on iPad 3 and iPad mini.

They seem to have omitted the more taxing effects like realtime shadows to make this run smooth.

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Found one thing but it may be specific to my "situation" of playing this.
    If I click "resume" from the title screen, the gear wheel just keeps spinning. Though this can be worked around seemingly by saving within game and hitting load game rather than resume.
    Is this a problem on anyone's ipad?

7. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    Nice to know. Thanks for sharing this tip. :D I also noticed, from looking at your photo on my iPhone 5S, that it looks pretty playable on the smaller screen too.

Attached Files:

8. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Digging this. Immersive, great sound. Good looking smooth gameplay. Fun puzzlely dungeon. Challenging sometimes. Good so far. Worth 5 bucks for me.

9. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Question for veteran players. I keep looking at this and am interested in a good dungeon crawler, especially as I am about to travel again and need some offline games.

However, a lot of promo materials highlight the puzzle aspect, which I don't enjoy in games. I work in software development, solving logical puzzles is my profession and not something I enjoy in my free time. I'd rather figure out a tactical situation against monsters and build up my team then figure out "what series of switches do you need to not set off the trap and die"

So, are the puzzles a big part of the game or just a real minor and occasional thing?

10. Kamakazie

Kamakazie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    Puzzles are the biggest part of the game and they get really tough after the first couple of floors. If puzzles aren't your thing, you likely won't enjoy LoG.

11. meril

meril Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Oct 13, 2011
    Switzerland
    #71 meril, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    Puzzles are a strong element im LoG. Because the fights are in real time, there is less tactical depth IMHO (beside the generating and evolving of your characters). If you know "dungeon master", you know, what i mean.

But i'm software developer too and i know what you mean, when you say, solving puzzles is your daily bred. But the puzzles you have to solve in LoG are from a complete different kind (there are not only switch puzzles). And if you like RPG espacialy dungeon crawling, i mean, give LoG a try.

12. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    I think I need to buy myself a nice set of earmuff headphones to enjoy games like this.

13. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Sublime, and the best of the genre in the App Store.

14. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    Being a fan of turn based rpg games, I'm a bit leery of the real-time combat in this, but I am willing to give a shot. Downloading now but I won't get a chance to play it until tomorrow. For those of you who prefer turn based combat, what do you think of the style of this game?

15. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I'm no expert on these types of game but I much prefer turn based but to be honest I'm loving every minute of this so far....

16. Gurney Halleck

Gurney Halleck Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2012
    Telephony and Computer Network Engineering and Mai
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    #76 Gurney Halleck, May 7, 2015
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    My sentiments exactly! Small install size, top shelf gameplay and nostalgia factor. Great story immersion, challenging puzzles, gorgeous graphics! This game is a love letter to my early days playing Dungeon Master, Drakken, and Eye of the Beholder on my Amiga 500!

This is Instabuy for me and my iPad air couldn't be happier!

Side note: I'm not seeing if this is using Metal or not. Anyone know if Legends has Metal support?! Would be perfect for takin advantage of all the lighting and effects that were in the original release!

17. meril

meril Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Oct 13, 2011
    Switzerland
    I'm not shure what i like more, turn based or real time battles. These are two complete different shoes with there own strenghts and weaknesses. I like LoG a lot and the fact, that the fights are real time seems to be correct for this game.
    On the other hand i've played Might&Magic X on PC, a tile based RPG as well, but with turn based battles, and i loved it very much also because the depth of the fights.

If the controls are accurate (and i think in LoG, there are), real time battles can be a lot of fun.

18. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Classics "Eye Of The Beholder" and "Dungeon Master" both utilized this grid-based, real-time combat mechanic.

Remember, you can quickly rearrange your party formation during combat, to use melee combat w/ the back line, by quickly moving them up front, then back again to safety. If your front line boys are close to death, pull them to the back, fast!

19. macatron

Sep 12, 2009
    I like both realtime and turn based RPGs like this. I grew up playing the Eye of the Beholder and Wizardry series, so I've played through both styles pretty profusely. :) That being said, I'd LOVE to see Might and Magic X (or at least a game like it) hit the AppStore. I think it would be awesome to see an updated Wizardy type game with turn based combat on iOS. The touch screen would work perfectly for it.

On a side note, I still haven't gotten a chance to play LoG since I downloaded it last night, so I have a question for those of you that have. How do you access the secondary hand for each of your party members? From the gameplay videos I've watched, it just looks like they're nonexistent. Thanks!

20. meril

meril Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Oct 13, 2011
    Switzerland
    Me too, but unfortunately, this will never happen :( From the financially point, MMX was no success (unlike LoG), so Ubisoft stops everything concerning this game.

I think, there is no possibility to shortcut the secondary hand. Unfortunately. My lady in the party like to have shuriken in one and knifes in the other hand.
    If there is a possibility to have a button for the second hand, i would like to know.