Universal Legends of Yore (by Coke and Code)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by starjimstar, May 3, 2011.

1. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Although I picked it up a few weeks back, I haven't yet got round to playing Sword of Fargoal, so I have no basis for comparison. But I would say that LoY is a fantastic game in the same genre, and while it's free, I'd certainly recommend downloading it and giving it a half hour blast - at which point you'll more than likely be utterly hooked..!!

2. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The dungeons are randomly generated.

Sword of fargoal is an excellent game, but I finished within a week or so and haven't played it again since.

Legends of yore, however, is a much more expansive adventure with many towns and quests etc. Plus, the developer adds more content regularly.

A key difference between the two games is that while SoF is a slick reinvention on the roguelike genre, LoY is built on retro simplicity. It feels similar to the old Ultima games of the 80s, but more roguelike and less rpg.

I've logged some decent hours playing this game on the train, and I'm still not up to level 20 where the IAP axe falls. But I'll gladly pay when I get there.

3. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    SoF is randomly generated as well. In comparison, this game feels like a training wheel version of a roguelike especially when compared against each other.

4. Geta-Ve

Geta-Ve Well-Known Member

Yore is a great game! I love the minimalist style. Definitely worth the buy. :)

5. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I wonder why it doesn't say the levels are generated randomly. A feature like that is a big thing to some people and would attract more interest.

6. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    #86 GodSon, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
    I haven't made it to level 50 or past as of yet. What classes are there? Do you plan on adding additional classes in future updates?

EDIT: looks and runs great on the iPad btw. ;)

7. jbwgamer

jbwgamer New Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Great

I think this game is good. Thumbs up

8. MisterEd

MisterEd Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2010
    While great games like SoF are intense dungeon crawls with tons of magic, LoY is a distilled and minimalist version of the roguelike class. Therein, it offers limitless dungeons, items, levels etc with increasingly larger boss monsters that eventually take the entire screen to display (hint to dev).

This game is evocative of many classics, including Taskmaker, early Ultima, and the time honored Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves for the Atari 800 computer.

9. kevglass

kevglass Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Wow guys, thanks for all the comments. I'm trying to read and apply everything at the moment, but apologies if I miss anything.

At level 50 you get to choose an advance class, this is done by selecting an additional base class. So for instance, if you were a warrior you can choose either the path of Zen or the path of Charge. Choosing Zen allows you to use Archer capabilities (but only at level 0 increasing as you level from that point on).

A warrior that chooses Zen becomes a barbarian.

A warrior that chooses Charge becomes a paladin.

There are of course variations for the other classes too :)

This stuff, along with a whole bunch of new quests, items, monsters etc are in the next update which is pending with Apple at the moment. In addition support for 3.1.3 devices is also hopefully in there.

I'm expecting the update to be through approval by the end of the week.

Thanks again all,

Kev

10. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Am I missing something, or is the wizard not able to use spells at point blank range? Every time a monster gets up close, my wizard switches to melee. This wasn't a problem early on, but now that I'm getting a bit farther in the game, I find myself using up health potions like crazy. Since an attack counts the same as a move in the turns, and movement is the same between PC and NPCs, there's no way to run and fire.

11. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    Hey there,

Absolutely correct that a wizard can't use ranged spells close up. There's a few things in the next update that will help, and a few things coming after that.

First the wizard gets move and teleport spells. Both of which allow him to keep the distance between the enemies and himself much easier. Secondly the equipment for the wizard gets a big update next time. Finally in the next update theres a magic attack bonus which applies to all charge based weapons.

There are also plans (though not implemented anywhere yet) for hand to hand spells for the wizard.

Kev

12. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    Ok cool. What's the move spell? I saw the teleport spell, but so far can't afford it.

13. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    Move spell is telekinesis.

Kev

14. Artfoundry

May 11, 2009
    Bay area, CA
    huh, ok, haven't seen that yet.

15. bluewomble88

bluewomble88 Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I'm not really liking how if you descend into a dungeon, come back up again then go back down how it randomly generates everytime. I thought it was random with each save you play and not every time you enter.

16. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    I understand that totally. It was a hard decision, but in Legends of Yore you quite frequesntly have to visit the same dungeon twice - keeping them random means that players don't just remember the shortest route through and theres the potential for more random item drops.

Kev

17. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    The next version, 650, has been uploaded. There's a tonne of new content (areas, dungeons, monsters and items), a host of bug fixes and some cool new effects.

There is also a pre-paid version available, rather than relying on the IAP.

I'll be getting the next version uploaded and ready for review ASAP.

Cheers,

Kev

18. thevagrant

thevagrant Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Thanks for the full version, i've been "cheated" out of IAPs too many times in the past.

19. kevglass

May 3, 2011
    Not a problem. Let me know if you see any issues around the paid for version, and I'll have them resolved asap.

If you want to move your characters between the full paid and the free version use the online saving feature.

Kev

20. spajdr

spajdr Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Male
    Elder administrator
    Czech Republic, Ostrava
    Just small bug i seen for some time on my ipad2.
    There are lines next to text, at arrow (move buttons and horizontally and vertically in line with health bar etc) probably related to scaling error. Nothing serious though. :)