Let's talk PC gaming

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Bronxsta, Mar 30, 2014.

1. I saw that on reddit, really funny, reminded me of Jeff Minter.

2. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #22 Teknikal, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    I've been thinking I definitely want something better than what I am using at the minute which sadly has integrated Intel graphics, I was going to replace my broken laptop but I've more or less been looking around and for the same kind of prices I can replace my desktop which I usually always favor anyway.

It's tricky to find anything half decent in local stores but does anyone any thoughts on whether this would be a decent PC for some gaming I've found it hard to keep up with graphics cards with all the integrated ones and naming schemes.

Also my budgets that tight at the minute unless I put it off for a month so I'm only looking for something that would do a half decent job.

Edit Below.

Actually never mind I think I might go for this one or wait another month, it's just too difficult to tell what is integrated graphics anymore and I can see myself buying one accidentally.

3. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    While the one you linked is alright, can I PLEASE sway you to build one instead? Not only is it fun and rewarding, but it saves a lot of money. With the£500 that the pre-built costs you can build something miles faster. Don't be intimidated though, pc building isn't as hard as you would think. A few youtube videos and some safety precautions while building and you'll be good to go. I put together a build on pcpartpicker in that £500 price range so if you want pm me and I could link it to you, I could also link you some benchmarks and comparisons if you'd like, I'd really love to help you out.

4. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    #24 Taeles, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    Finished Thief recently, working Dishonored's dlc and the .23.5 asteroid redirect mission just hit for kerbal space program! Oh and there's always Diablo 3. Beat the main story on both soft and hardcore modes. Lost my lvl62 hardcore demon hunter to lag + a bad elite combo. Working a new hardcore character now :)

5. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #25 Teknikal, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
    Thanks but I think I just want something that works out of the box and I can get going pretty quickly I'll have a lot of media to transfer that might take a few days on it's own and working out windows 8 which I admit I've been avoiding will probably take me some time on it's own.

I am aware that building would be better for a long term solution and no doubt much better value for money I'm also no stranger to electronics and have put together PC's before back in the Pentium 3/4 days but I have to admit I always hated trying to attach the actual CPU and I'm very out of date on all the newer components.
    I did have a good look at this site http://www.logicalincrements.com/ trying to work out where graphics cards stand lately and I think it's a very good site for giving a general idea of what you could potentially build for the money.

I keep changing my mind between laptop and desktop I might actually change both over the next few months but my latest leaning is towards this advent pc (I know the make isn't brilliant and I'll probably have to upgrade the PSU if I want to mess with anything) but it's in my price range and from what I can see on youtube the video card is capable of what I want.

If I had sense I'd wait a month and get a serious gaming PC but when I get an urge to buy something I usually end up just getting the best I can afford at that moment, I'm not that great with control, the plus side is basically anything is better than what I'm stuck with at the minute.

6. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    If anyone wants an interesting roguelike then I can really recommend One Way Heroics. Kind of reminds me of Half Minute Hero with a splash of Hoplite, there's a massive amount of depth to it with unlockable classes, perks and randomised worlds. It also helps that it plays like nothing I've ever tried before - It's almost an endless runner roguelike, with darkness creeping from the right side of the screen that kills all it touches.

Every action you take moves the abyss along one tile so you have to weigh up whether you have the time to explore the dungeons and towns you pass along the way. There are some permanent features too, with Hero Points being earned that can be used on perks and classes. It's very tough at times but never unfair and the achievements offer great replay value. It might not be to everyone's taste with the retro RPG visuals and cheesy plot but I've been absolutely addicted to it for the last few weeks and for £2.29 you really can't go wrong.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic, just thought I'd share something awesome :D

7. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Hey, no need to apologize. I've actually chatted with the dev of One Way Heroics; he was pretty active in the NeoGAF Indie Thread

As for roguelikes, Teleglitch was my first and one of my favorites. Hectic, tense, and hard as nails

8. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Bought the advent one yesterday, I first thought I'd made a terrible mistake and I'd be returning it, Windows 8 was freezing up every half hour or so and not even ctrl - alt - delete did a thing. I wasn't sure if it was software or hardware but I guess Windows 8 really does deserve it's reputation because when I did the 8.1 update it's been (crosses fingers) perfectly stable since but I can honestly say I saw windows 8 crash more times in a single day than I ever saw with vista and windows 7 together.

Got Dirt 3 free with it and it blew me away graphically I know it's still a basic card but those were the best graphics I've actually seen come out of a PC in person also put on a few games my last machine struggled with and their much more fun and better looking.

At the minute things are looking pretty good the early couple of freezes were worrying though.

9. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Anyone here played Banished?

10. september

Sep 14, 2012
    #30 september, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
    I didn't play Thief on PC but once you get past the terrible main voice actor (well not terrible, but a bit soulless and the heavy modern US accent doesn't work in the setting) and the segmented loads for the city, there's not a bad game there. Side missions are exceptionally well done. Initial reactions was OMG this is as terrible as people say, but once you hit about chapter 3 or 4 things have come together a bit. Not stellar, but while I think the writing and imagination in Dishonored (which I did play on PC) was far better, I think I enjoy the mechanics of Thief a lot more, and generally as a game I find it a bit less tiresome.

11. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    If you ever get a little unsatisfied with graphics you got and got a spare £100, go out and grab a 750 ti. Thing is a complete beast, my brother recently just built a pc with one and it performs spectacularly. Basically turns any pre-built into a little beast.

12. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Yeah I'm very happy for now and it's opened up a lot of games for me I never could have played beforehand but I can see myself putting in a more premium card at some point in the future.

Another good thing my computers still stable since 8.1 it's like a different machine from the one I unboxed.

13. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

This is why I love TA, it has such a diverse group of people who can share other thing that they have in common.

I've been playing PC games exclusively ever since selling my iPad mini and getting the Asus T100. It's a great hybrid tablet/laptop and plays most games fairly well.

Lately I've been playing Goat Simulator, replaying half life 2 and doom 3 as well as picking up a buch of bundles, indies and just cheap games. It's amazing the quality of games you can get that are the same price as most ios games.

14. september

Sep 14, 2012
    Yeah the oft pushed "mobile games are cheaper" isn't really the case if you know what you're doing with the numerous PC sales and promotions.

15. Fireball926

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    I completely understand this. Ever since building my pc my iPad has since only had the honor to become my dedicated couch reddit browsing tool. I hardly game on my phone at all anymore aside from the small casual wonders like Threes!. Maybe I'm unfortunately outgrowing iOS gaming,

16. MicroByte

MicroByte Well-Known Member

I know what you mean, I used to love ios games. I relished every Wednesday, excited to see all of the New Zealand releases that would eventually make their way across the world. Then I realized that I just wasn't enjoying things as much and became frustrated with having to have the latest hardware to be satisfied with the tip end games coming out. Couple that with the fact that ios games aren't that deep or fulfilling.

My 3ds and vita filled that void, but there is nothing like the pc for such uniqueness and variety to its library. I mean come on, I bought a game where you play as a goat!

On another note, I never played Borderlands 3 and, oh man, what's great game! $5 at greenman gaming right now and runs so well on my t100 after some configuration modifications.

17. september

Sep 14, 2012
    3 would be nice...

18. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Man I wish I had Borderlands 3 :p.

19. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Decided to make Kerbal Space Program my 300th Steam game the other day. I already had it outside of Steam, but it was worthy enough to be the milestone.

If anybody wants to check me out: http://steamcommunity.com/id/kitchenknives

20. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#40 Bronxsta, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
    I got into PC gaming last summer (just in time for my first Steam Summer Sale, my wallet and backlog still hates me) and it was the best gaming decision I ever made. I haven't touched my consoles in months

Holy shit, Goat Sim is awesome. I wasn't expecting much beside it's being funny, but it's just a genuinely fun game and you can tell the developers had an absolute blast making it. Just packed with cool little secrets

Right now, I'm hooked on Luftrausers (Vlambeer's best game yet IMO) and Prison Architect. I'm also pretty big on supporting Kickstarters; I just backed Four Sided Fantasy and I'm anticipating Prisonscape next week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]