Universal Letterpress Word Game - by atebits

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Oct 24, 2012.

1. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Just thought about this a bit more and realized that letterpress uses full GameCenter (as opposed to apps like Carcassonne that use their own servers and only use GC to sign in and locate friends)

So in order to turn off the push notifications for letterpress you deny access to GameCenter in the notifications screen.that means you don't get push notifications for friends, challenges, and any other full GC games. That might be better for you if dont like any push notifications at all but would like to keep the game.

2. SuperWeird

SuperWeird Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2010
    This would be a fine solution, except that I do need GC notifications for Volt, KoF, and SFxT so I can fight a friend of mine.

Every other game I own with push notifications has the option to turn them off. Can't believe the developer of Letterpress didn't think that was important for this game.

3. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Funny thing is I never ever got a notification from this app, and would always have to check for moves manually... :confused:

4. kalel39

kalel39 Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Then the solution is just to delete the game.

5. supaman900s

supaman900s Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2012
    Anyone download the latest update and not see the new features? Like shake to scramble letters, etc.

6. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    I'm trying to set the language to Spanish, but I don't know how. Any help? The update suggested it was possible, but I don't know for sure...

7. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I'd say that the solution is to click the App Support button on the App Store and send a message to the dev. Contacted him when the game was fairly new. He was pretty responsive and two of the features I suggested (replays and a rematch button) appeared in the next update. It certainly won't hurt!

8. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    I haven't been able to play a single game for about a month. I get Error Code #3. Atebits is pretty much telling me to upgrade to iOS 6. I've asked them twice and both times they treat me like a new case, asking the exact same questions they asked me the first time.

It's been working perfectly for months on iOS 5.1.1!

9. MasterChief3624

MasterChief3624 Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2009
    I just discovered this game. It was listed on the Word Games page on the App Store and it's really fun. The simple aesthetic reminds me of Threes for some reason. I love it. Very minimalistic and pleasing to the eye :)

Didn't know it was out in 2012... wonder why it took so long for me to find it!

I was coming here to do two things: commend the developer for making the best asynchronous multiplayer word game I've played... and also ask if there is a way to turn profanity off.

I was playing a match where someone used the 'f' word. I used prick... so maybe they thought I was calling them one, as opposed to, you know, "I pricked my finger on that cactus."

I don't want to report them, but I do think an option to censor out profanity or take it out completely would be nice. I know profanity is a part of all languages, but for some reason it removes a lot of the fun when someone pulls a bad word in Boggle when I'm playing in-person, and that same sadness comes to this game as well.

10. Paulos G

Paulos G Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2012
    location, location.
    I really like this too. It's a lovely game. Don't know about the profanity though. I'd be more annoyed if I couldn't use it though!

11. OrangeJews

OrangeJews Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2013
    So I guess the game is dead now?

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I just wanted to sneak by and press a few letters to remind ourselves that Letterpress might just be the best competitive word game for the platform. Redownloaded it today at the behest of my sister*, and was immediately reminded of the potential squeezed in between the cracks in the casual surface. The minimization of randomization alone is paradigmatic in its gameplay impact, and the way it presents an even playing field.

I secretly hope that atebits will eventually capitalize on this competitive potential by updating the game - or release a sequel - with ELO scores, ladders, detailed match histories and stats anad analysis, and even built-in tournament support.

I'd also one day like to see the core gameplay evolved further on a larger board, with several more unique mechanics along the lines of tile defense, support for more than two players, etc. This could well become one of the dominant word games in board gaming.

* Who proceeded to wreck my certain win with 4 protected letters and almost total board control by playing "Wreckfishes" :eek:

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Rambling of, the developer recently confirmed to me that a juicy update is inbound within 2-3 weeks. It will bring "a statistics package with head-to-head breakouts, leaderboards, and chat as well as some minor tweaks". They've also confirmed that they have some ideas around tournament play, but that won't happen for a while.

I'm glad to see one of the best, most elegant and clever multiplayer word games for any platform not only alive, but plucky with ambition and vision.