Liege - a story driven, tactical RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jrhee, Mar 3, 2013.

1. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    Thanks all for the kind words!

@undeadcow - There's some early video on the site, and footage of the combat engine in action will be coming soon! I'm testing the game on my iPhone and I think it looks good so far- the ability to zoom in & out definitely helps. And yes, there will be snow :)

2. wok

wok Member

Jul 27, 2008
    #22 wok, Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
    Whoa, this looks amazing, congrats on all the great work so far! Seems to be a real labor of love. And after seeing the new screenshot with the super subtle grid, I can't wait to see the combat in action.

(Oh, and I'd love to help/play/fiddle if you ever need beta testers!)

3. Cobalt Plasma

Cobalt Plasma Active Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Freelance Illustrator & Designer
    Hawaii
    Yeah this does look *really* good :D Definitely on my list of things to pick up.

4. rikku

rikku Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Male
    Planet
    You probably didn't realize, but your Facebook link in the original post is wrong. Not a big thing but still.

5. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    Thanks guys.

Wok, still a little ways from beta, but will definitely post here once it's ramping up.

Rikku, thanks for the heads up- looks like the post is locked at this point though unfortunately...

6. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    The artwork looks great! Looking forward to learning more about the game.

7. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone's comments. Definitely looks fantastic!

Oh, you're having a beta? Have you got some testers? :D

8. KennyK

KennyK Well-Known Member

9. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    Thanks!

KennyK, beta will be coming a couple of months, will keep everyone posted here :)

10. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    The Cast!

Hey! So here's some concept artwork of the playable cast. They're still a bit rough, but they'll do as an intro for now. I may share some more details on each of the characters over time, but I'll probably save most of that for you to discover in the game ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, here's a bit of (very poor) video from the 4/30 meetup which shows some recent progress and a basic example of the combat engine in action. Excuse the video quality (filmed/cropped from an iPhone)... will try to get some better footage up with more details soon.

Coming up: a new (castle) environment!

Stay tuned!

11. Enriana

Enriana Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2011
    East Coast, US
    This game looks really interesting, and the concept art is stunning. Definitely keeping an eye on this one. :)

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Very nice character art; it seems the crew is lead by two mysterious brothers. Interesting video. Looking forward to more details.

13. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    Thanks, more to come soon :)

14. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    Big, late June update

Hi! Couple updates today from my devlog:

[img width=600]http://www.codagames.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/01-rampartRun-800.png[/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've really begun to make full use of the character sprite generation pipeline I mentioned in an earlier post. Here's a high res of some character animations generated using the process (click for full resolution):

[​IMG]

I've also been putting together an official reveal video trailer for the project that I'll be sharing early next week, along with a Kickstarter campaign for the project! With the reveal and campaign launch, I'll be sharing much more in-depth info on the project, including details on what I'm aiming for with the story and combat system.

The next week should be filled with lots of updates- follow along on by liking me on Facebook and following me on Twitter! :)

15. Almy

Almy Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2009
    Looks really cool. Can't wait to hear about story and length.

16. Alister

Alister Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2012
    Philippines
    Since this is a tactical RPG,I'm curious about the combat system/mechanics..Any info about that?

17. _Max_

_Max_ Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2012
    Nice, look like Jeanne d'Arc, can't miss this

18. jrhee

jrhee Member

Mar 2, 2013
    Developer
    New York, NY
    @Almy - Thanks! More to come on the story very soon! As far as the length, my hope is to keep it on the shorter side and dense, rather than padding up the hour count with a lot of fluff.

@Alister - Sure, I'll be sharing much more details in the week to come, but here are some of the main ideas:
    - The game is class based, with 10 classes in total. Each class has certain strengths/weaknesses (i.e. rogues are nimble, deal low damage unless flanking or attacking from rear, archers deal ranged attacks but are highly vulnerable, etc). Classes have "perks", which are intended to interact in interesting ways (i.e. you can arrange pikeman into a phalanx with strong directional defense to defend your archers in the rear, certain classes of knights can break the phalanx). There's also a concept of banners, which grants additional unit perks (i.e. blue banner swordsmen deal extra damage, green banner has improved archer accuracy, etc).
    - Grinding/maxing stats, etc. isn't really the main focus in the game. The game's main emphasis is on spatial elements like unit placement, attack range, etc. I love the complexity of tactical RPGs like FFT, Fire Emblem, etc. and the minimalism/simplicity of Chess, so my hope is to have the game feel somewhere in between.
    - One of the key mechanics is that unused actions during your turn determines your defense during the enemy's turn. This is similar to Hunters if you've ever played it, except instead of "patrolling" your field of view, your unused actions allow you to evade/parry attacks. I like this mechanic, coupled with the fact that single strikes can often be fatal, since it prevents players from tanking blindly into battle and encourages thoughtful offense.
    - Combat takes place on the same maps/terrain as the rest of the game, since seamless integration to the game's narrative/exploration elements is a key focus for me.
    Ok, that was longer than expected, but let me know if you have any more questions!

@_Max_ - Thanks! Haven't had a chance to play it, but am hoping to get a chance one of these days!

19. footnote

footnote Active Member

May 12, 2012
    amazing

The description of the battle system, the artwork...everything looks awesome. I cannot express how excited I am for this.