Universal LIMBO (by Playdead)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 2, 2013.

1. tinkie277

tinkie277 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Male
    Street Cleaner
    Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
    What a breathe of fresh air this is!!! Finally something that isn't zombies or IAP! This reminds me of heart of darkness, it's smart, dark and eerie, controls are easy even though there are no buttons on screen, it is a platformer with some fairly easy puzzles... It's well worth £3! I haven't played something this original in a long long time!

2. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

What about trying a demo if you have a console, or have access to one?

There are demos for Mac and PC.

There are endless youtube videos that show the game and what you can expect.

You must have the ability to do at least 2/3 of those things, no?

The fact is that this game is well worth the 1200 msp ($15) so to get it for $5 (still less than the rare sale price of 600 msp/$7.50 that it can sometimes go for) is crazy good.

This game isn't the best thing since sliced bread, you won't get 30 hours of gameplay from it, you don't get multiplayer, you don't have cutomization and the path is linear.

Those sound like issues, right?

They aren't.

The game is something special that needs to be experienced.

3. ENDWARO7

ENDWARO7 New Member

May 10, 2013
    Manager/driver/cleaner/cashier at David's Pizza De
    In your dreams...
    I have been playing for about 45 minutes and I got to say I love this game! The controls are perfect for me. I disagree with people saying that they are not precise or clunky! I got the hand of them easily and they just feel right!
    Any who had to throw my 2 cents in! Love it and I'm excited to finish it. Definatly a must have! And by the way it works just fine on iOS 7 Beta 3 for iphone 5 64gb black!

4. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Still in shock from the 3 star rating from TA. This is 4 stars at minimum and I can't see an argument against that. The controls are spot on perfect, the reviewer must have sucked really badly. I never played this game before this and I breezed through all but maybe 5 of the puzzles, it's not frustrating in the least. More like satisfying and rewarding. I can only knock a star off if I had to for the games short length and no replay value. A small trade off for such a wonderful game.

5. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Before you settle in on length. There are Achiements and some are tied to finding hidden areas. I may have finished the game over a weekend, but I'm far from done with the Achiements including one for completing the whole game in one run with 5 or fewer deaths. There's a lot of replay. It's sort of like that perfection of classic Contra where I wanted to finish t with one life or only with the limited lives I started with but no continues. Except with limbo there is an achiement for it.

6. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
  7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I saw wut u did thar. :D:D:D

8. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    Ok guys two things:
    First: what are those white egg like things.Are those some kind of archivementa?I don't use Game Center!!
    Second: I'm having a problem.Whenever I'm playing the game and I start messaging or receive a call when I come back my character start's to run in the direction I last pointed.I don't Enron touch the screen but it keeps running.Does anybody else experiencing this???

9. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    1. Those are hard to find objects that unlock achievements. Some are a bit tricky to find, some require you to get go off your usual path, some are hidden in plain sight. They unlock achievement in-game, and game center. Even if you dont have Game Center, if you want to complete everything, the game has it2.

2. havent had anything like that happen, not that i remember, so i cant help you with that one, sorry.

10. Infinity89

Infinity89 Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2013
    #331 Infinity89, Jul 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
    But where can I see how many I have collected those trophies?I can't seem to find that?
    Also what's that star in the pause menu?
    Thanks!

11. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Sometimes a deal is too good to pass up, And I was going to buy this today for the bargain of £1.49.

To my surprise it has been dropped in price to 69p :O now just to find time to play it :D

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Its obviously worth picking up. But games like this i wish people would buy at launch price. If the owners see a large amount of revenue coming from this game they'll do more great games/conversions. If everyone waited for it to be cheap then they might think 'wont bother with ios'.

If we want big name games and more top quality ones people need to buy them at launch price (i mean they're so cheap anyway)

13. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Price drop or not... iOS is the best platform anyway in terms of revenue. All other mobile platforms don't compare. Every dev should be glad they're on the iOS market. Even with the dreaded price drops.

14. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Again, this is a two way street. When devs stop dropping prices so consistently, players won't be conditioned to wait for a sale. When glancing at the app activity and there are 10 different price drops at various, predictable intervals, who is going to be stupid enough to buy at full price?

15. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    #336 Mess, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    I do buy my fair share if full price games, I use the watchlist here to keep track of games I want to buy and then pick them up when I have the time/free money. For example I bought Modern Combat 4 full price, and have resisted the sales (so far) on KOTOR. These are probably the most expensive games I have bought. And although not a game I bought all the IAPs on Paper to help the dev.
    However sometimes it's hard to miss a bargain! I would have bought at full price around Christmas, but it was just fortuitous timing!

This is very true. With some apps it's on sale so much it may as well be at that price anyway!

16. gtcharlie

gtcharlie Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    #337 gtcharlie, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
    Controls work very well for me but I am trying to figure out how to gain momentum swinging on a rope? What I mean is if the rope is still and I need to get it swinging to make a jump what control does that? Cant move from side to side because it causes you to jump off. Can you get your feet swinging somehow?

Never mind. Figured it out.

17. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Someone please get me past the floating crate in the pond near the beginning of the game, thanks.

18. Mess

Mess Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Drag it to the left, to let you climb the rope. I think that should help ;)

19. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Yep. I actually just went to an internet walk through. Thanks though ;)