LIONHEART TACTICS - Upcoming Release From Emerald City Games and Kongregate

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by KevinECG, Dec 21, 2013.

1. KevinECG

KevinECG Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2013
    #41 KevinECG, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    Scape,

We are working hard to have it out soon.

Cheers,
    Kevin

2. christopherrocs

christopherrocs Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2013
    In a honesty, supporting your family isn't such a bad thing to do. Sure, a lot of rich people aren't as good as some mid class people, but... I don't know what argument to make. Beat myself....

3. scape211

scape211 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    thanks for keeping us in the loop as best you can Kevin; always good to know devs are listening in :)

Do you also mind shedding light on the need for continuous online usage? I'm sure there are good reasons, I just was curious. I see more games do it in some form.

Also I am always curious about mobile development and how its done. Do you mind sharing what platform you used to make this? Cocos? Unity?

4. florhackson

florhackson Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Sorry for hijacking this thread Kevin. I will not do that again.

I am actually excited to add this game to the list of games I play. Cant wait for the release.

5. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    can't wait for a premium version with non continuous online connection! :D

6. KevinECG

Nov 12, 2013
    #46 KevinECG, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    Hi Scape,

You are welcome. We really appreciate the interest in the game.

Lionheart Tactics was made using Unity.

While I can't speak for all developers or games, I can tell you why continuous online usage is required for Lionheart.

Firstly, the game stores a lot of information on the server - such as battles, user values, and so on. This lets us update Heroes and Battles on the fly, but also means the game has to be connected to the server to have access to that information.

Also, we have 16 playable classes (each with 6 unique ranks) and hordes of enemies. We load Heroes into battles selectively, so your device doesn't have to hold onto extra animations, textures and models - so Lionheart takes up less room on your device.

Finally, it prevents falsification of time based events and purchases, making it much harder (or impossible) to 'cheat' and get an advantage over honest users.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers,
    Kevin

7. KevinECG

Nov 12, 2013
    No worries, nice to see some friendly banter going back and forward.

Happy to hear that you are excited to play the game.

Feel free to check out our Facebook page for some more information on the game leading up to the Worldwide release.

Thanks,
    Kevin

8. scape211

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    this is a big +1 for me. Though I know people don't like the idea of continuous online play, its far worse to me when i play a game for a while, go to play multiplayer, then realize others have cheated to be competitive. I'd like to think my hours were not wasted.

I hope others read that and feel the same. Continuous online play is not something everyone loves; but i would hope they hate cheaters more :)

9. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I tried the game. Not bad but I deleted it because I realized it was online only.

I do understand your complaints about cheaters but that's why some games only use online for the ... you know.. online portion. The single player should not need online ever in any game. The backlash originally for the Xbox One was that everything needed the Internet and you saw how that turned out. Luckily for the iOS store, a lot of people are on data so they won't notice online requirements and bandwidth until the bill comes or your reception disappears. In my opinion, it's still a lose-lose for the consumer because they're eating bandwidth for something that doesn't need to be online and lose the option to play it when they can't be online. Giving iCloud OPTIONS is always the best thing but that has evolved into just forcing the user to be online which is not a good thing.

Not a bad game but I still disagree with the methods. Best of luck.

10. scape211

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    #50 scape211, Jan 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    I went to a hockey game last night. I got there late and had to park on the fourth level of the parking garage. When the game was over, everyone rushed out together and i sat for a very long time in the car until everyone moved out of the parking garage. So while waiting, i played this game until my battery was almost out. I never got a warning for hitting the end of my data plan or anywhere near it.

Now, i have a very low data plan (200mb a month). In fact, im fairly certain that amount isnt even offered anymore. I dont personally think this game uses enough data to make most users worried about it chewing up all their data.

Now that leaves the itouch/ipad users who only play on wifi. This is more of the problem really. Even though wifi is in a lot of places these days, its still annoying when you cant play on the bus or something.

I would love if the devs could strike a balance; have an offline mode where the users can only play the story mode, then an online mode where they have to be online to play. The only problem there is if it will really stop cheaters (they can get gold and boost guys in offline mode, then turn off cheats and hop in online mode). Not sure how they would check for that, but that would be the best route if its possible.

11. craylon

craylon Member

Dec 21, 2013
    very exiting, cant wait.
    artwork is really cute :)

12. scape211

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    Kevin - I had some other thoughts on more minor things after playing through a bit more. These are just nice touches i think people will appreciate after they are already 'sold' on the game (as opposed to my earlier list which is more so for keeping new players).

1 - From what I gather on the leveling up system, each character can level up to a max of 20 in their ranking bracket (iE - lvl20 recruit, lvl20 novice, etc.). I assume its best to level them fully before using the upgrade stones to maximize stats? If so, maybe this should be made a bit more clear. I upgraded a few of my guys before i started realizing this. I suggest if the character is not lvl20 and the person wants to upgrade, have a confirmation box before they continue.

2 - Along with the above leveling question, I am finding it difficult to see what level my characters are at until after a battle. This is frustrating especially when I am trying to use specific characters that arent level 20 more in combat so they will level up. I really have no way of knowing what level they are at until after the battle is over. Can you simply add the level of the character in the heroes section?

3 - I like the idea of boosting, but in its current form, its a little too easy to accidentally use one of your good units to boost another character. I have done this and i know others who have. Can you make a confirmation box for this as well?

4 - I am a little confused by the difficulty setting on story missions. I like that they are there, but they feel a little unclear. I assume the order goes weak, easy, normal, hard, challenging, futile, hopeless, and impossible, but thats just a guess. Plus, its hard to tell how far these word indicators ramp up as you move to the next one. Do the enemies only have a bit more stats between weak and easy? Or are they a full rank above my team? Maybe some type of color indication system or a '!' button on the map screen to explain what each word means (similar to the heroes screen with the '!' button for an explanation of stats) would help.

Again, thanks for being available on these forums. Not sure if this is the best place to put all this stuff. I know you guys are working on a main website too, but i assume either here or FB are the best places to post. Let me know if not.

13. KevinECG

Nov 12, 2013
    Hi Scape,

Thanks for your questions/ideas. Yeah, here is fine or on FB. Our website and the Lionheart forums should be up and running soon.

Here are some thoughts for you:

1. It's not necessarily better to reach level 20 without promoting.
    2. We'll look into doing that!
    3. Hmm. This is a little trickier, but we may look into adding a confirmation in certain cases later on.
    4. Difficulty setting is tricky! But we'll look into adjusting this in the future (the colour suggestion is a great idea).

Hope that helps.
    Cheers,
    Kevin

14. mundada

mundada Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Great game - am really enjoying it although I do agree that the need to have an online connection is a bit of a downer. Granted, I see your view point on wanting to minimize dishonest conduct, etc.

Am writing to flag a few issues that I have noticed while playing.

1) Sometimes enemies get "stuck" when trying to move from one square on the battlefield to another. They simply keep running and running and there is no way to get out of this other than to flee the battle and start all over again. Quite problematic as this has happened to me a few times when I was just about to win.

2) I randomly get "Error 4" messages with no clear reason as to what the trigger may be. There is also no explanation of what "Error 4" is so am quite confused as to what to think of this.

3) Continuing with "Error 4", I have had this pop up right when a unit of mine was about to finish ranking up or leveling a skill and then after I clear the message alert, the timer resets itself by about 30 minutes!

4) Sometimes after moving my characters, they decide to end their turn on their own before I have selected what action I would like for them to take. This is very problematic as many times I have tried to move my healer into range to heal a unit only to have him decide that he doesn't want to do anything further that turn. To be clear, I will have only moved the unit and have not used him to attack or heal or use a skill or anything so this should not be happening. This bug has caused me to watch my units die when I would have otherwise been able to heal them and avoid the long countdown before they revive.

5) The equipment function seems to be a bit buggy. I have had several times where I have surely equipped armor or weapons on a unit only to check the equipment screen after a battle to see that the changes were not reflected. Not sure why this is but it is a little troubling especially when I come across a piece of equipment which is much stronger than what I currently have but then I find out that the game didn't properly register the change...

The following are questions / comments rather than a pointing out of bugs.

1) Can you clarify as to if you have to progress the story before you can pull heroes of a certain class? I ask because I have recruited several times and always only get thieves or archers. However, when buying stones to upgrade my units, I get these stones to classes that I have not even encountered. Very confusing and some sort of clarity would be greatly appreciated.

2) Can you add an explanation of the rank up system and if there is any benefit to leveling a unit to 20 before ranking up?

3) This may be intuitive but I feel that there should be an explicit message that equipment, too, is ranked and can only be worn by a unit that is of equal or higher rank. I was not aware of this and bought a pack of elite equipment thinking that it would help me advance through the game only to find that I could not use it because my units were still recruit class. Perhaps blocking off those purchases until you have at least one unit of the correct rank could be a simple yet effective solution.

4) Could you flesh out the description for the thief's "Steal" skill to elaborate as to if / how much damage it does to a unit in addition to the amount of coins stolen? I note that when I use the skill the enemy's hit points do decrease but it is not clear on how this damage is calculated - i.e., skill level or character stats.

Thank you.

15. scape211

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    I can answer some of this as a player and my own experiences.

1 - you can get characters before they appear in the story. Most recruits will be common, but it is possible to get uncommons and rares (not sure on their % chance per pull though). Some uncommon and rare classes use stones the common class does not; specifically the knight stone is not used in the common class, but is in later classes. These are probably the stones you are getting and cant use....yet :)

2 - I have asked the devs and they said it is not always beneficial or important to level up to 20 before going to the next rank. However, i have tested this with a couple guys and can see a difference. It appears that in general their stats go up a little bit per level, then get a larger boost when going to the next rank. So i think its usually a good idea to level up to 20 before ranking up. Thats just from my experience though; id imagine it isn't always needed for every class, but id rather be safe than sorry.

3 - I did the same thing when starting; i bought some elite gear thinking it would give me an edge and ended up with stuff i couldn't use for awhile. I have since found equipment to be one of the last things to spend money on. I think a better front end tutorial or maybe a dialogue box before your first purchase would be helpful here.

4 - The steal skill does do damage, but a very small amount and not noted for the amount of damage anywhere. This makes the skill kind of a gamble since the attack is weak. However, later on the thief gets a skill with a high chance for 2 attacks (can rank up to 100% chance every time you attack) so it can trigger that after steal. Until then, use steal on healers and dancers or enemies with 25hp or less to keep her safe from retaliation.

Hope that helps. I'll let Kevin reply to the other items :)

16. mundada

mundada Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks a lot. One more question if I may. Is it possible to pull King's stones from the packs or do you have to get through quests? I am trying to rank up a Sage (from Recruit) but always only stones for different classes... I think having an explanation of the contents as well as probability of pulling each item included in the pack would be useful for players as this is something I have seen done in many games.

17. scape211

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    You can get king stones from packs, but they are rare for some reason. I suppose since they aren't used for all characters the devs didnt want to confuse people when they first start pulling stones they cant use. However, your hero, rares and i assume very rare characters all see to need them. Totally agree on percentages for pulls. I would love this for all packs; heros and upgrade stones. However the devs have been kind of closed lipped about it.

Just keep buying packs; you will eventually get some :)

18. mundada

mundada Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Another bug I'd like to report. For some reason, my archer likes to counter my dancer when I use her dance skill to allow my archer to act / move again. I highly doubt that this is meant to be the case? Kind of scary as the counterattack has almost killed my dancer in several instances. Grateful if it could be corrected in a future update.

19. scape211

Jun 20, 2012
    Graphic Designer
    I've seen a few others with this issue and asked about it on the Lionheart FB page. I know they are aware of it and its got the be a bug. Not sure if/when it will be fixed though.

20. mundada

mundada Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Thanks. This time almost killed my healer haha!