List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Thanks, I thought it might have gone that way. I'm going to do the same thing next month and having a devil of a time with Retina Display vs. price reduction (well, a bit of a reduction, at least).

2. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I know this is an older game (relatively speaking), but has anyone played The Labyrinth Of Time either on the iPhone or on whatever it was originally published for? It looks kind of cool, but I'd like some first hand opinions before dumping $5 on it.

3. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    The Tiny Bang Story HD is on sale for 99 cents again, in case anyone doesn't have it yet. If you have an iPad and you don't have this game, you should get it.

Also, I just finished playing UFO Adventure over lunch. This is a pretty fun game. It's like the Sierra style third person adventure games and actually does a good job of capturing the spirit of such games, right down to the annoying maze that could be found in several of the King's Quest games. The puzzles are decent, though a couple of the mini-games are somewhat frustrating (like the aforementioned maze, which is more boring than difficult). The biggest flaws are two fold: first, the aesthetics are somewhat amateurish. I'm guessing this is a one man show and that man is a programmer and not an artist, and it sometimes shows. There's not really much in the way of music either. The bigger problem, however, is that the game is just short. I'm guessing that it didn't take more than an hour to finish, and maybe not even close to that. It's a shame, because I really wanted to keep going. I've talked to the developer, though, and he says he's already working on more content. For most of you it will probably be too quick for the price of admission, but if nothing else it's definitely one to keep a watch on.

4. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    Ooo, my first iPad purchase(just need the iPad to arrive now). The Tiny Bang Story reminds me of an educational game on the PC. There is another game I want but I don't know the name. Any ideas? You have to get out of the screen and you are in a toybot type environment or that sort of kiddie theme. I'm sure I played a demo on the pc way back and really enjoyed it. It was a sort of trial and error type game and you could have been a toy train. Bit vague but you all know what my memory is like

5. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Was it a Big Fish game or just some random indie thing?

6. Pepper2427

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    Just some random indie thing. You had to find a way to open a door at the edge of the screen to progress to the next screen/room/puzzle. I'm sure it has been discussed before because I remember thinking I've played that on PC. I will check through the posts tomorrow to see if anything rings a bell

7. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Hope you figure it out. I have enough trouble remembering discussions I'm a part of let alone something I might have just glanced through while reading this thread :)

8. webshark3

webshark3 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
  9. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    This is awesome news. At this rate the whole Sierra Online gang will be back making games again in no time!

10. pcj

pcj New Member

May 17, 2012
    Super excited about this. Awesome that they're targeting the iPad as well right out of the door.

11. webshark3

May 10, 2010
    I know. There's a few titles out there, and they are watching. We're worried a title like Spaceventure may not make it because 1) having a hard time reaching the fanbase, and 2) LSL was funded recently, and there's 2 other games trying to get funded (Jane and Tex), so the Sierra die-hards may be cash-strapped.

12. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Thing is, though, I don't think a game like this needs Sierra fans, necessarily, it just needs adventure game fans. Even those that might be too young to have actually played some of the original King's Quest and Space Quest and the like have probably still heard of them if they are really fans of the genre, and they'll at least know that these are the people we want making the next generation of adventure games as well.

13. webshark3

May 10, 2010
    You are correct of course, but I expect the Sierra die-hards to dig a little deeper in their pockets. :)

14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    This is probably true. Guess that's what you need to resurrect such goodness :)

15. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    So do this mean you are affiliated with the developer?

16. Was it Cordy?

17. Pepper2427

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    No, not Cordy. Not a platfomer. You are just in a basic 2d room with a door on the right hand side. You have to manipulate things in the room to open the door. A bit like Dooors but I'm sure its a childs playroom theme. Maybe its just wishful thinking and I haven't seen it at all

18. webshark3

May 10, 2010
    As a kid, I broke open my piggy bank many times to buy the games. I walked many miles to the Egghead store to get the latest saga. That's as affiliated as I get. ;)

But to answer your question directly. Not at all. Never even talked to them. Just a die-hard (Sierra) fan from the old days, and would love to see a revival of adventure games on the iPhone/iPad. We already have a great selection, but it would be great to see some more classics return.