List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    So I started playing Island: The Lost Medallion HD. I like it. The story has the potential to be interesting, the first sequence is one where you find groups of items to make inventory objects, and the first mini-game was pretty fun. Then I got to the first true hidden object screen and I'm already stuck. I'm supposed to find three daggers, I've only found 2, and no matter how many times I try and use the help it doesn't seem to ever actually reveal to me where the 3rd dagger is. I don't mind not breezing through a game, but they should let me get my feet wet before stalling me!

2. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I'm on scene 7, and I can't figure out what to do with the clock. I've done the math in my head several times based on the note, and regardless of whether or not I know the actual time I've move the hands to every possible combination I can, yet the clock doesn't ring. What am I missing?

3. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    You have to set the time you want and then go back to the main screen. If the time is right (check what's under the clock!) then it will bing bong

4. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Got it. That was actually my first guess as to what to set the time to, but apparently I miscalculated the first time I tried that.

5. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    That's odd. It must be a bug with the iPad version as I played beyond that before I purchased and posted about the game release. I'll reset my progress and let you know where it is later today.

6. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
  7. Pepper2427

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    #3247 Pepper2427, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
    Maestro -Music of Death is on sale for anyone who is interested

Paul - Looking forward to your impressions on the new release

There is a new release Real Escape by Flag

8. mrsleny

mrsleny Well-Known Member

May 30, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Hi there. New to Touch Arcade. I am completely addicted to these types of games. The BFG ones always seem to appear early in the Canadian app store so I am already halfway through this one. It's quite well done but a bit creepy IMHO. I can't be the only one to be creeped out by clowns.

New releases here in Canada have been two older Alawar games- Twisted Lands: Shadow town and Joan Jade and the gates of Xilbaba. . For those who haven't played they are both fun especially Twisted Lands. Great storyline. Hope the sequel is released for iPad soon.

9. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Real Escape It's universal and actually looks pretty cool.

10. Pepper2427

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    Welcome to the site. Any review of new games is really welcome

I read a bit more on this one and it looks as if you use the iPhone/iPad to its full ability. Gonna pick it up when I get home from work. 69p doesn't seem so expensive with the iPad games priced as they are. Will let you know what it's like later

11. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Here was quite an interesting surprise: The Naked Gun: I.C.U.P.. My only concern is the price tag; not because it seems unreasonable, but because the company only has one other game and I'm not familiar with their work. Still, if this has the same humor as the source material it could be lots of fun.

12. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Eric,

The game randomizes the hidden object scenes so I have not gotten the daggers again. Two of them that I found in reviewing the scene
    were on top of the green books and in the centerpiece of the door's window (vertically).

You were probably already aware, but you do have to tap on the item you were looking for after you tap on the hint button (that took me a bit to realize

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I will check the locations you gave. As for the hints, I was aware of that, but no matter how many times I tap the hint button and then tap the dagger in the list of items, I never see anything obvious on the game screen.

14. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    I'll toftt! Leslie Nielsen was one of my favorite comedic actors.

15. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Too bad he couldn't have been around to do a voice in the game. Might have been a high note to go out on instead of the last couple of films he made.

16. Pepper2427

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    Oh my. I loved Police Squad. This should be great if the title is anything to go by

17. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Hector was fun, but in my book Lt. Frank Drebin wins hands down as best funny cop.

18. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    The humor is all there and retains much of the introspective, sophomoric style that made thr Police Squad show and the Naked Gun movies so enjoyable for me (example joke:
    Drebin: "You stole her from me, took her to the border, got her inebriated, made her do deplorable things to a donkey, and then killed her." Councilman: "We went to the Grand Canyon, she got drunk, and fell off of her donkey!")

The interface and UI of the game are a big issue. The Open Feint dialog screen comes up at random times, occasionally you select items that you cannot see, and it just needs a general coat of polish. It is difficult to tell what you need to do as there isn't much in the way of a tutorial (it's there, but it misses many things). Overall I'd say it is worth purchasing eventually for the humor, but I'd suggest waiting for a patch and a sale.

19. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  20. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    This is an HdO imbued with the atmosphere and quality that you'd expect from an Alawar/Big Fish release. The game holds to the standard "find objects"/"use certain objects on other objects and locations" that is common in these games. The overall style is dark and scary, with the game taking place at an abandoned circus. Much of the story I have seen so far is done in glimpses and flashbacks. Overall for $2.99, with a strategy guide and bonus chapter, I'd consider it a value and well worth the purchase.