List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    The Great Little War developer has started an interesting discussion on this exact subject...

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=138610

2. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I do think it's hard for developers to make a living, because I know several with what I think are good games that don't. I've even known a couple that went "back to their day jobs" because not only didn't they make enough developing mobile games, but more people were stealing them than buying them. As for the length of games, I do agree with you, but at the same time maybe the games are so short because they know they can only charge a buck for them. I agree with everything else you mentioned.

Yeah, these sorts of discussions have been going on forever. I prefer having them with smaller groups of people I know than the world wide public, though, because there's less chance of pointless, berating comments :)

3. Teagan

Teagan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Hi everyone!!!! I haven't been on lately so wanted to see how everyone was doing:) I also haven't run into anything amazing worth mentioning lol I'm too lazy to read the back pages but I assume if there is anything worthwhile it will come up again lol

4. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    OMGPop is definitely the exception and not the rule. I have not played the game, but based on Zynga's purchase, it seems like it must be ad or micro-transaction based to fit into the Zynga model. I don't know how Joe is doing with Fire Maple, but based on platform releases, I would guess he is making the least from iOS.

I don't really mind consumable IAP, as long as it is intelligently implemented and not an impediment to completing to game (the grinding factor that is found in so many games today). As long as developers can make more money in a consistent stream via consumable IAP, it will be here to stay. I have seen a lot of public and press sentiment against consumable IAP, so perhaps there will be an uprising against it.

5. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I knew something was missing around here :) Sadly, there hasn't been a whole lot going on in terms of adventure games. I've been testing a game called Tesla Electric Myst that I think you guys are going to enjoy, though I'm not sure when that's coming out. Also, and I probably shouldn't be saying this, I have reason to believe we'll be seeing the final chapter of the Moonwalls saga pretty soon. I'm just sayin'...

6. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  7. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Don't recall ever posting about this one: Track The Ripper. Bit expensive for a company I've never heard of, but I'll probably pick it up if it goes on sale.

8. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Here is a new Big Fish Game for tonight. I don't have links yet as I am on my iPod and it is not yet on AppShopper:

Alexandra Fortune: Mystery of the Lunar Archipelago

I'll do impressions and links later tonight or tomorrow morning.

Have a great evening/night/morning/afternoon, as the case may be!

9. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I was going to add the links, but I guess I'll have to leave that to you since I'm not seeing it in the App Store.

10. mrsleny

mrsleny Well-Known Member

May 30, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    This was in Canadian app store last week. The trial was meh. The latest BFG offering here is called Galaxy Quest which looks to be a match 3 type game.

I am currently playing Grim Tales The Legacy CE. Should be out soon in US store if not already. I'm enjoying it very much so far. Gameplay seems quite long. HOS are a bit dark but not too difficult. Lots of places to explore.

11. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  12. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I checked out the screen shots for Galaxy Quest on the BFG web site, and it honestly looks kind of boring. Have you actually tried it by chance?

13. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    #3374 paul.hendricks, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2012
    Thanks for the links. It is the Apple approved vs developer released to the store for this market issue again. Appshopper shows it released as of June 13.

As for impressions, I have to take the opposite stance of my Canadian neighbor. I enjoyed the demo enough to buy the release. It has good but not great graphics, is a "find the pieces" and place the object type of game (I'll never remember all those acronyms that Miss Pistachio insisted upon), and seems a fun Alawar release. It is definitely not top-tier, but enjoyable. I am very excited to see the Grim Tales that mrsleny has been speaking about.

14. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Actually, isn't this a BFG?

15. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  16. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
  17. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
  18. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    A new one has just popped up - Dream Chronicles The Eternal Maze. Has anyone played the original Dream Chronicles? Will have to check if I have it in my backlog

19. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    BFG (I always think of Doom when I see that) published the game, and Alawar & Arello Mobile developed it. I always try to insert Alawar as needed into posts in this thread, as there are some people who pledged to never play another game developed by them (when the Alawar/Big Fish Games switching started).