List Of Adventure Games (Part 2)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by PointOfLight, May 5, 2011.

1. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    As long as you're connected to WiFi. Keep in mind, though, that the iPod Touch is becoming increasingly useless when it comes to playing games. I'm running into more and more issues where games won't run very well on my iPod Touch 4, or they'll crash out after a few minutes of play. It's getting quite frustrating.

2. iOSborne

iOSborne Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2012
    college instructor
    PA
    is it ok to ask your mmporg games? i'm hearing there's a lot of crashing issues with itouch2... ButterflyFan said she cannot visit my Dragonvale since it crashes.....

3. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Actually, I don't really play MMORPGs. I just know that you can. However, I doubt you'll find much of anything that runs on an iPod Touch 2 any more, especially since I don't believe you can run iOS 5 on that device.

4. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    Great to see that this project is still going. You obviously have a great looking game seeing as we all remembered it. Plus points for being a developer who comes here and keeps us updated when we ask. Can't wait for it to be released

5. Yeah I was flattered, especially considered how little is out there compared to whats in the game and what will be in the trailer.

I also wanted to answer a few questions regarding availability and release. First, there will definitely be an iPod/iPhone version. The game was built ONLY for handheld devices so we took into consideration the small screen. The iPhone will have a custom layout for easier navigation and so far performs and plays well. We'll also either launch universal or have a free update for the universal version. There will also likely be a cheaper iPhone version at some point but frankly the universal will be cheaper than most competitive games. I can't confirm price because while unlikely, we may go with a publisher since many have shown interest and one may convince us it's worth it and they may change things.

This game has been made totally in the spare time of a few very dedicated people and as such has been extremely difficult. If it wasn't from continued interest from people at places like Touch Arcade I don't know if we would even finish.

6. paul.hendricks

paul.hendricks Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    #3826 paul.hendricks, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012
    One thing a publisher may bring you is the ability to break through the 'noise' of all the releases. As a fan, it is becoming more and more difficult to find quality new releases with all of the other 'stuff' that is out there. Of course, the cost may not outweigh the additional sales. Are you looking to your dedicated fans for word of mouth promotion?

7. Before you go to a publisher, why not try posting some screenshots and/or videos on Twitter and TA? Get people excited about it. If you remind people about your game, they'll be waiting for it when it's released. Social media really can work wonders if you have something worth sharing.
    Maybe talk to some indie developers who've had success and get some pointers?
    I think finding the perfect price will also play a big part in it.

Glad to hear it's being designed for iPhone, tho, and not just shrunken down after the fact. :)

8. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
  9. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    That actually looks pretty interesting. It's certainly a nice change of pace from the traditional hidden object game.

10. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Here's another interesting looking game: Jack Houston and the Necronauts. Sadly, it's not scheduled until a Dec. 2013 release, and even then I'm not sure for which platform(s) first. Still, sounds like it could be a lot of fun.

11. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Looks like PC first and for us, iPad if they hit $90,000 in funding. It does look interesting, though, especially for a first-time designer.

12. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    #3832 paul.hendricks, Jul 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  13. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
  14. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    Mystery Valley is a standard hidden object game that looks like it was developed by BFG. It is a vampire mystery with a female FBI agent as the protagonist. The graphics looked ok at regular resolution, but zoomed in, they were very pixelatted. Overall, I cannot find anything that stands out for this game and am going to pass on it.

Magic Sweets! is a time management game where you run a pastry/cocktail shop at a magic academy. The customers are various teachers, students, and ghosts in the academy. The gameplay is very reminiscent of the Miriel games. Graphics are fine, but not outstanding. Overall, another pass for me.

I still need to try Depths and will post on it later.

15. mrsleny

mrsleny Well-Known Member

May 30, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Agree about Mystery Valley. Depths is great. Released in Canada a couple of weeks ago so I've already bought, played and finished. Worth every penny IMHO. I'm still waiting for another outstanding BFG release.

I've been thinking about Avenue Flo. Seems like a lot of dialogue in the demo so far. Is it worth it?

16. paul.hendricks

Jul 30, 2009
    State of Confusion!!
    I am greatly enjoying Avenue Flo, but I really like the dash series as well.

17. Pepper2427

Pepper2427 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Wits End
    New release Snow Hill HD. Classic point and click.

18. Kira Yu

Kira Yu Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing~

19. iOSborne

iOSborne Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2012
    college instructor
    PA
    sad part of having itouch2 is that it is stuck with 4.2.1.. :(

20. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Here are some new games:

About to Blow Up Part 1
    About to Blow Up Part 1 for iPad
    Gaias Quest
    Time Chronicles: The Missing Mona Lisa HD
    Escape How Can I?
    Heroes Rise

I'm not actually quite sure about the first two, because based on the screen shots it's hard to tell, but the iTunes descriptions label them as adventure games. Of course we know how people like to throw the phrase "adventure game" around :)

So has anyone tried Snow Hill HD yet? So far I'm enjoying it. Definitely a traditional adventure game with no hidden object sequences. The main two problems I have with it at the moment are that it's often hard to know where to go without tapping everything, and I seem to be collecting a lot of inventory without using it. Of course, I know where several of the items need to be used and just haven't gotten back to those places yet. Overall I think the game has a lot of potential and will be worth sticking with.

I've also started Sinister City. This one is definitely a hidden object game, but I'm still enjoying it. One thing I like is that you actually get to see your character wander around the screen like a real third person adventure game, which is highly unusual for a hidden object game. The HO screens are pretty standard, though you get to move things around more than in most HO games. Again I think there's a lot of potential and an intense story waiting to get out.